Chicken Confusion

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Chicken Confusion

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:48 pm

I am a total newbie , trying my hand out at cooking chicken- mainly for my kids. And I have lot of really stupid questions....

Is there any place I can get free range or organic chicken ? If not what sort of chicken is the "gooder" one? I see at NTUc Finest a Deli- is chicken sold there better then the ones sold under the brand say Pasar?

Can some one explain to me what is good for what? In super market I find different packing chicken breast, thigh, boneless chicken. The drumstick I kind of have an idea what to do but for making curry which is better ? Is it advisable to remove the skin before cooking?

If I ever become brave enough to go to the wet market and get chicken , what should i ask for? Chicken brought from the wet market can be refridgerated after cleaning or before cleaning? Once I buy , how long can I safely keep out before cleaning & cooking?

And anything else that I should keep in mind while buying or cooking chicken?

And I thought chicken was just chicken :sweat:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Chicken Confusion

Postby DaddyKC » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:01 pm

am a total newbie , trying my hand out at cooking chicken- mainly for my kids. And I have lot of really stupid questions....

Is there any place I can get free range or organic chicken ? If not what sort of chicken is the "gooder" one? I see at NTUc Finest a Deli- is chicken sold there better then the ones sold under the brand say Pasar?

Normal super market do not carry free range or organic chicken.
Don't mistaken Kampung chicken as free range as there is clearly no guidelines as the definitions of kamoung chicken, it can still be roaming freely but injected with hormones and feed chemical feed.
I will choose only Sakura chicken as this is the only know chicken that do not have hormones and antibiotics injected. Many countires has been coming to Sakura to learn about our new farming techniques.

Can some one explain to me what is good for what? In super market I find different packing chicken breast, thigh, boneless chicken. The drumstick I kind of have an idea what to do but for making curry which is better ? Is it advisable to remove the skin before cooking?

Chicken breast can be use as stirfry and tends to be more smooth in texture. Condon Bleu chicken uses chicken breast if you want to try this.

Thigh alot of usage. Can be for soup, for stirfry, braising, deep fried and steam.
For curry, you can use chopped chicken parts or just drumlets and wings.

For health reason, i always remove skin and fats before cooking. It depends what you going to cook. E.g Deep fried chicken leg can't possibly remove skin. It just dont taste right w/o skin.

Cooking soup, i will remove the skin and fats in order not to have oily soup.

If I ever become brave enough to go to the wet market and get chicken , what should i ask for? Chicken brought from the wet market can be refridgerated after cleaning or before cleaning? Once I buy , how long can I safely keep out before cleaning & cooking?

Wet market chicken seems to be more exp. Buy Sakura.
If buy from wet market or NTUC, can ask the butcher to chop into small parts. Frozen meat can keep for months. Just dont defreeze and freeze again.

And anything else that I should keep in mind while buying or cooking chicken?

Ask the market auntie for tip about chicken parts when you buy. Often they know it very well. For stir fry, coat a little corn flour to chicken and it will be more tender. Lastly, always wash your hand after handling raw chicken and be careful of it's water splashing when you chopped chicken. Raw chicken is a good source of salmonella (main cause of the common food poisoning)

And I thought chicken was just chicken

DaddyKC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:42 am

Sun_2010 wrote:And I thought chicken was just chicken :sweat:

I am not fussy and have given up trying to figure out what is the "best" kind of chicken to get so I just buy whatever is available in the supermarkets. I don't have the time or money to be too fussy about the health claims. The only thing I distinguish between is the different parts as the meat is different. For soups and curries, I prefer parts with bones as they the make the gravies tastier. For stews and stir-fries, my family prefers thigh/leg meat as the texture is less dry, but I buy the boneless ones as they won't require chopping. I occasionally buy breast for stir-fries. I always remove skin and fat except when I use the wings, but that is very rarely for special occasions. I never buy a whole chicken as I'm too lazy to chop it up, and no-one in my family really likes the breast meat.

Do note the warnings about handwashing etc. It's best to keep utensils and boards for to-be-cooked and other foods separate, and maintain good overall hygiene.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 am

I buy frozen chicken Wings and Frangosul whole chicken (just nice abt 1 kg for the family to polish off in 1 meal).

for fresh chicken fillets, breastmeat and drum legs, I will use it on the day of purchase or the very next day. I don't like the taste of the meat after keeping fresh chicken meat in freezer for a week.

I like using chicken breastmeat or fillet in double boiled ginseng soup.

Bought frozen drum legs once and the taste was very very :sick: .

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:And I thought chicken was just chicken :sweat:

I am not fussy and have given up trying to figure out what is the "best" kind of chicken to get so I just buy whatever is available in the supermarkets. I don't have the time or money to be too fussy about the health claims. The only thing I distinguish between is the different parts as the meat is different. For soups and curries, I prefer parts with bones as they the make the gravies tastier. For stews and stir-fries, my family prefers thigh/leg meat as the texture is less dry, but I buy the boneless ones as they won't require chopping. I occasionally buy breast for stir-fries. I always remove skin and fat except when I use the wings, but that is very rarely for special occasions. I never buy a whole chicken as I'm too lazy to chop it up, and no-one in my family really likes the breast meat.

Do note the warnings about handwashing etc. It's best to keep utensils and boards for to-be-cooked and other foods separate, and maintain good overall hygiene.

Thanks for your sharings, slmkhoo. I am sure it will help me as I go on my chicken venture.

I am a vegetarian so the cooking is purely for the kids - with aim of fattening them :laugh: with stuff they like. Since the kids always go for fast food , I thought I should start making at home. I brought a knife and cutting board and have separate set utensils for it. Since I will be making just for the kids probably once or twice a week, I thought that I might as well get the best.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:24 pm

12mum wrote:I buy frozen chicken Wings and Frangosul whole chicken (just nice abt 1 kg for the family to polish off in 1 meal).

for fresh chicken fillets, breastmeat and drum legs, I will use it on the day of purchase or the very next day. I don't like the taste of the meat after keeping fresh chicken meat in freezer for a week.

I like using chicken breastmeat or fillet in double boiled ginseng soup.

Bought frozen drum legs once and the taste was very very :sick: .

Thanks 12mum.
Learning thanks to your sharings.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank you DaddyKC - that was a lot of info for me.

Unfortunately the wet market near my place doesnt sell Sakura. I will try NTUC finest.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby habibi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:14 pm

I usually buy from wet markets as it's cheaper. Chicken breast (2 sides and deboned) is $2 or less on a lucky day. At NTUC, breast meat (1 side) is slightly under $2 and I feel the size isn't bigger than those sold at wet markets. The wet market butcher will return the breast bones to you, whereas in NTUC, you need to buy them separately. I usually use the bones to make my stock, alongside a few pieces of lean chicken breast.

Chicken breast can be steamed, sliced and tossed with your salad. You can throw them into your curry as well, especially Thai green curry. But it won't be as nice as chicken thighs.

I buy chicken thighs and get the wet market uncle to chop them up for me. I prefer chicken thighs to drumsticks as there's more meat in the former. The skin will be in tact after chopping, but usually back at home, I would remove them before cooking.

Chopped chicken thighs (with or without bones) are great for curry. Best to remove the skin to cut down on calories. You can use them for casseroles/claypot dishes/tagines too. If you don't require uncle to chop them up for you, you can bake/grill the entire thigh in your oven (rotisserie or bbq), with or without skin, depending on how health conscious you are.

Full piece deboned chicken thigh meat is ideal for making chicken chops (panfried), I feel. If you chop them up, you can skewer the chunks to make teriyaki chicken too.

There's chicken fillet too which you could easily mince to create other dishes like chicken patties.. But if you want to stirfry Oriental dishes, you may do so as well.

I seldom buy chicken wings as they are too fatty. I prefer drumettes which can be grilled, braised with selected marinades and Chinese wine, or deep fried with prawn paste/batter. They make great buffalo wings. However, I don't use drumettes for curry as I find them too oily/fatty.

I am not a big fan of drumsticks either but they could go into your curry pot though.

I notice there's Fresh vs Frozen Thawed Halal chicken at NTUC. If you aren't cooking on the same day, please buy the Fresh ones. Needless to say, never refreeze thawed meats. I do allow myself to cold-store fresh chicken for up to 2 weeks, but such meat will be "demoted" for my soup stock making when I'm (ever) in the kitchen.

Please note that chicken thighs are categorised as RED meat under the culinary terminology. That means, higher cholesterol, so consume in moderation.

habibi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schweppes » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:06 pm

To add on to your confusion... :wink:

Think we all have our cooked chook preferences. Personally, I like cooking with drumsticks. No need to slice smaller, and I only need to remove the skin for healthier eating options. But will leave the skin on for selected oven baked recipes.

I'm a one dish mom, mostly because I prepare in advance (no time to cook every evenings after work), which means I cook mostly stews and soups. That way, I can throw in the meats and vegs and the family can slurp up the soup/gravy. I find that drumsticks go well with soups and stews. I usually portion 2 drumsticks per family member. All I need to do is heat up piping hot before meal time.

Based on DaddyKC's recommendation in the past from dinner thread, I have been buying Sakura Chicken. (Fairprice will run out of stock... :razz: )

I avoid buying frozen chicken. Find that it tastes funny and the texture tastes hard after cooking.

Some chicken drumsticks ideas that I prepare for my family: lemon garlic roasted chicken, rosemary chicken, coq au vin and your kids' fave Butter Chicken (goes so well with naan)

You can also buy drumlets. I like cooking that with Japanese curry or using Augmum's 3 cup chicken recipe. Can eat with rice. We like eating ours with udon.

Happy chooking... :wink:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sparks » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:09 pm

I read abt Anxin chicken from Dr Leslie Tay's blog,

http://ieatishootipost.sg/tian-tian-chi ... n-chicken/

many months back, Fairprice finest has started selling these Anxin chickens (they have 'anxin' are tagged at the legs). They really taste great (more yellow better tasting!). I used to buy sakura before that but I find these anxin kampong chickens better tasting extremely good for steaming. even the juices come out yellow! :drool: I also don't buy kampong chickens from wet market anymore as these chickens imo are better than those sold at wet mkts & slightly cheaper than wet markets. I use sakura mainly for roasting as they have more meat. I like to get female chickens than male ones as they are tastier .

For curry, I like to use whole chicken cut into parts which some NTUC sell (or can ask auntie to cut up for you). I don't remove the skin cos that's most impt part & is the 'essence' of the chicken. : P

I always clean the chickens before storing them in freezers. No difference in taste for me. You can store as long as 1 or 2 months. But I must underscore what others have mentioned, do wash your hands/utensils thoroughly after handling raw chicken.
Last edited by sparks on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop