P1 - what do you give for early lunch ?

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

P1 - what do you give for early lunch ?

Postby mwchua » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 pm

hello mommies,

My girl is in P1 afternoon session. She normally wakes up at around 7+am and has her breakfast around 8am (1 glass of milk with 1 slide of bread).

Her school bus will fetch at 11.30am and thus she needs to take her breakfast at 11am. She has no appetite for lunch (even when I give her porridge). Her recess will only be at 3.30pm. I have no choice but to give her 1 energy bar and tell her to eat it once she reaches school before lesson starts.

Any advice to give on what to give for early lunch ? Or should I just give her milk in the morning to ensure she has better appetite at 11am ?

Rgds,
Ming

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sashimi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 am

You have my sympathies - it's like how dinner nowadays has become an 8pm affair whereas in the past when there was such a thing as 9-to-5 jobs, families could have dinner at 6-7pm. And yet, health enthusiasts and experts all holler at us to eat dinner by 8pm. So, if your daughter is travelling during "lunchtime" I don't see how she can have lunch. Sometines I don't understand why organizations think that traveling is instantaneous, like we can teleport.

So, here is my thought: Personally, I don't really eat lunch anymore. I have a substantial breakfast in the morning around 9am, the equivalent of a lunch. Then I eat 4 pieces of fruit in the afternoon. Dinner as usual.

Although a child's needs and an adult's are different, I was wondering if modifying along these lines could help? Maybe increase your daughter's breakfast (make it a little later so her stomach can warm up?), then let her generate an appetite for recess? After all they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I do agree. Lunch just makes me sleepy.

I'm not sure energy bars are a good idea for adults, let alone kids.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cmm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi mwchua,

What time does your girl arrive in school? If you pack a lunch box for her, does she have time to eat it before lesson starts?

My girl is in PM session too. She wakes up at 9am and drinks a packet of milk. Her system doesn't "wake up" so early so she's alright with just milk. On days when she feels hungrier, she has some bisuits or one slice of bread with her milk. She eats lunch at 11:30am (I send her to school myself).

Personally, I feel that children at this age shouldn't skip any meals. Mealtimes should be at regular hours for them. The quantity served can be adjusted according to their appetite since lunchtime is brought forward.

Hope this helps.

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby VitoRelax » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 pm

When my kids were in Pri 1 afternoon session, my wife cook lunch & they eat rice before go to school ...

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: P1 - what do you give for early lunch ?

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 pm

mwchua wrote:hello mommies,

My girl is in P1 afternoon session. She normally wakes up at around 7+am and has her breakfast around 8am (1 glass of milk with 1 slide of bread).

Her school bus will fetch at 11.30am and thus she needs to take her breakfast at 11am. She has no appetite for lunch (even when I give her porridge). Her recess will only be at 3.30pm. I have no choice but to give her 1 energy bar and tell her to eat it once she reaches school before lesson starts.

Any advice to give on what to give for early lunch ? Or should I just give her milk in the morning to ensure she has better appetite at 11am ?

Rgds,
Ming

my boy used to be in afternoon session kindergarten.
we give soupy stuff or sandwich, cheong fun, pao, sushi etc.
maybe your girl dont like porridge? :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 pm

hi mwchua

Maybe give her light bfast - milk, bread before 8am?
For lunch, you may want to give your daughter food that she likes? How about chicken macaroni soup, pizza, pasta?

In fact, when my kids were in the pm session, their school bus comes at 11.10am which means that they need to have "lunch" by 10.30am :!:

Also, I made sure that I give her a packet of milo to bring to school and have a drink before sch starts. During recess, I'll insist that she eats something from the canteen. Alternatively, you can pack snacks for her... bread, buns, pao... I avoid giving her unhealthy snacks like potato chips, etc.

But not to worry, just give your child some time to get used to the routine. My kids have to survive 3 years of early lunch arrangements until they went to the morning session.

:celebrate:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fishatwork » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:14 am

My DD is in P1 PM session, too. She wakes up ard 9am and i'll just give her a glass of milk. She starts eating her early lunch(most of the time porridge or pasta) at 10.30am as she's a slow eater. Her recess is at 3.00pm and she usually buy soupy thing from the canteen (noodle soup or beehoon soup).

When she comes back in the evening, she often says she's hungry and will finish a whole bowl of rice...sometimes she'll eat a few biscuits or egg tarts after dinner so her system works better in the evening... :D

fishatwork
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Funz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 pm

dd wakes up at about 8 and have her breakfast at about 8+. Lunch is at 11am too.

It takes some getting use to, I guess. But even if she does not have the same amount as she would normally eat if lunch were to be at about 12pm it's fine. At least she eats some. Then if she is really hungry at recess, she can go for noodles if not, then light snacks will do.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jce » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05 am

I'd agree with some of the parents here - light breakfast (perhaps just a cup of milk). Then lunch will be early but more substantial (noodles, pasta etc). You can boost up the morning milk by adding meal replacement powder (the ones that adults use for meal replacement). It has the nutrients of a complete balanced meal. I buy mine from a friend. I don't add the complete packet, just 1/3. Do the same for my son as well cos his preschool starts at 830am.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby peapot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 pm

How about just milk in the morning? then follow by noodles or porridge before school. If its just milk in the morning, she may be able to eat more later. This is what I m doing for my gal who is also P1 afternoon session. Her bus also comes around 11.40am.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tuckshop