Yusheng!!

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Yusheng!!

Postby Mrsbongz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:10 am

My favourite salad!! any recommendations of your favourite places to buy? or recipes???
I usually buy from supermarket and add my own vege and sashimi...

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pineapple tarts » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

I only buy from crystal jade. too troublesome to made lah :D

pineapple tarts
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Yusheng!!

Postby MMM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Mrsbongz wrote:My favourite salad!! any recommendations of your favourite places to buy? or recipes???
I usually buy from supermarket and add my own vege and sashimi...

We usually buy those ready mixes from supermarkets. Then does the vegetables by ourselves. Besides the normal vegetables, we would also add in pomelo and more crackers. If the portion is too big, hubby will make exra plum sauce.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby westmom » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:10 pm

For sashimi lovers, try this special Jap yusheng...it has more generous portions of raw fishes (i think 3 types) than those you get from restaurants....my family and friends love it...But watch out though, they are close on certain days of CNY so must "order" fast fast....Delivery above S$100 (i think).

Enjoy ....
http://www.sakuraya.com.sg/e-fishmart.html

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Try Sakae. Big slices of salmon.

Cannot remember their price but I think pretty reasonable.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Blobbi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm

westmom wrote:For sashimi lovers, try this special Jap yusheng...it has more generous portions of raw fishes (i think 3 types) than those you get from restaurants....my family and friends love it...But watch out though, they are close on certain days of CNY so must "order" fast fast....Delivery above S$100 (i think).

Enjoy ....
http://www.sakuraya.com.sg/e-fishmart.html

Tee hee. This is my favourite! Was planning to try the sushi counters at Meidi-Ya or Isetan this year for yusheng specials.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mrsbongz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am

wow..MMM, how do u make extra plum sauce? can just use the bottled version from supermarket? I also buy extra crackers fr the wet markets as my kids love them..

Great idea about the fish counters.. was just thinking if I can add different kinds of fish to it (like tuna or swordfish), to make it more interesting than the usual salmon.. My colleague recommended using those baby abalone.. do any of u add other ingredients too?

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Yusheng!!

Postby kuzco » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:37 am

MMM wrote:[We usually buy those ready mixes from supermarkets. Then does the vegetables by ourselves. Besides the normal vegetables, we would also add in pomelo and more crackers. If the portion is too big, hubby will make exra plum sauce.

I buy the ready-mix from supermarket too. Last year, I bought from NTUC. They also had the ready grated/shredded vegetables. As for the raw fish, can get from the NTUC sushi counter. Bought a slab of salmon for about $13 and told the aunty to slice thinly for yusheng. Went home and just threw everything together and whack! :D

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Mrsbongz wrote:wow..MMM, how do u make extra plum sauce? can just use the bottled version from supermarket?

Yes, my hubby usually buys those bottled version from supermarket. You can either get plum sauce or "ju zhi jiang". It's different but both works. We usually buy before CNY just in case no more stock. He will add water to dilute the sauce.

For fish, it appear that we didn't go for salmon sashimi. They will usually buy certain fish (eg. those porridge raw fish) from market. Then just add lots of lime. So far so good.

The crackers is more for the kids.

My hubby is crazy about yusheng. He will attempt to buy those vegetables/carrot slicer (eg. those people doing demo at Isetan,etc...) in hope of creating vegetables suitable for yusheng.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Mrsbongz wrote:My colleague recommended using those baby abalone.. do any of u add other ingredients too?

We would also add sliced abalone and pacific clams. Due to the no. of family gatherings we usually have and the no. of people involved, they have been exploring extra ingredients yusheng.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tuckshop