Claypot Chicken Rice

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Claypot Chicken Rice

Postby auntiexxx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:25 pm

There used to be a very good claypot chicken rice at the basement of the Beach Road (Army Market), but they have closed down. :sad:

Went to one in Chinatown recommended by the famous blogger, Dr Leslie Tay, but found the claypot pot chicken rice so so only ... the chicken not well marinated ... definitely not worth the queue.

Any recommendation for a pot of die die must have claypot chicken rice (similar to the one at Beach Road if you have tried it before)?

:thankyou: in advance! :please:

auntiexxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Claypot Chicken Rice

Postby hquek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Geylang Claypot rice? http://johorkaki.blogspot.com/2015/04/geylang-clay-pot-rice-singapore-jk1110.html

Was the Chinatown one manned by 3 sisters? We used to go there, and whilst portions were teeny, the food quality was there. Haven't been there in a long while actually. WIll be sad if quality went down.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby auntiexxx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:53 pm

hquek wrote:Geylang Claypot rice? http://johorkaki.blogspot.com/2015/04/geylang-clay-pot-rice-singapore-jk1110.html

Was the Chinatown one manned by 3 sisters? We used to go there, and whilst portions were teeny, the food quality was there. Haven't been there in a long while actually. WIll be sad if quality went down.

Thanks, will take a look at the blog.

Yes, that's the one by the 3 sisters. It's our second time there. The first time we felt that the one at Beach Road was still better (it was still around then), but recently, we went back again after finding that the Beach Road one had closed down, but found the chicken not well marinated and it was definitely not worth the time queuing for it ... won't be back there for sure, so my search continues .. will try out the Geylang one mentioned by you one day.

auntiexxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:59 pm

auntiexxx wrote:There used to be a very good claypot chicken rice at the basement of the Beach Road (Army Market), but they have closed down. :sad:

Went to one in Chinatown recommended by the famous blogger, Dr Leslie Tay, but found the claypot pot chicken rice so so only ... the chicken not well marinated ... definitely not worth the queue.

Any recommendation for a pot of die die must have claypot chicken rice (similar to the one at Beach Road if you have tried it before)?

:thankyou: in advance! :please:

You went to Lian He Ben Ji at Kreta Ayer Food Centre/Smith Street?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:04 pm

auntiexxx wrote:
hquek wrote:Geylang Claypot rice? http://johorkaki.blogspot.com/2015/04/geylang-clay-pot-rice-singapore-jk1110.html

Thanks, will take a look at the blog.

Yes, that's the one by the 3 sisters. It's our second time there. The first time we felt that the one at Beach Road was still better (it was still around then), but recently, we went back again after finding that the Beach Road one had closed down, but found the chicken not well marinated and it was definitely not worth the time queuing for it ... won't be back there for sure, so my search continues .. will try out the Geylang one mentioned by you one day.

Yes, the Geylang one used to be very good. Was it Lor 33 or what?

Actually, u can cook claypot rice at home with the claypot. We do that at home sometimes. We bring in HK Yung Kee yuen cheung and lup cheung, fresh chicken thigh meat, xiaobaocai, shiitake, use shaoxing wine/oyster sauce to marinate the chicken then add good dark sauce, deep fried shallots and spring onions. I bought the claypot from Chinatown, but did it over home gas stove not charcoal stove...equally crackly rice grains.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:07 pm

The name mentioned by JS should be correct (the 3 sisters).

Also this other famous one that I recall. They used to be at Clementi and somehow became very popular...now at Holland. http://ieatishootipost.sg/new-lucky-claypot-rice-the-thing-about-claypots/ Just a pointer, I had faint memory they used to be at Bt Merah (next to library) donkey years ago but weren't popular then.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ptb7476 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:16 pm

https://dirtystall.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... cken-rice/
one of my favourite is this one
used to be at margaret drive food centre and now moved to alexandra village

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:16 am

hquek wrote:The name mentioned by JS should be correct (the 3 sisters).

Also this other famous one that I recall. They used to be at Clementi and somehow became very popular...now at Holland. http://ieatishootipost.sg/new-lucky-claypot-rice-the-thing-about-claypots/ Just a pointer, I had faint memory they used to be at Bt Merah (next to library) donkey years ago but weren't popular then.

Is that the one near the aquariums?
Over rated.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tuckshop