Pek Kio Market - Review

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Pek Kio Market - Review

Postby hquek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 am

But when I'm at Pek Kio Mkt, I only eat the famous prawn mee from Wah Kee. Best broth ever. Super long queue because the hawkers are very old and movements are ultra slow. Beats Whitley Road prawn mee stall at Old Airport Rd.

Didn't know this place existed. Old housing estate? I like the prawn mee at Redhill market and also at a Penang food restoran near Aljunied MRT. What time does Wah Kee starts business? Thought of trying if it's shorter Q at off peak hrs.

Wah Kee, aka Farrer Park prawn noodles, is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. They typically start about 830am (but if prawns are delayed, then there is no knowing when). Their prawns are bigger than usual. Queues can be crazy. I find it best to go earlier on weekends.

Stock is brewed fresh every morning, no msg, no pork inside. Fully respect auntie and uncle for sticking to the traditional way of cooking and not 'steal work cut ingredients'. Soup is more fullbodied and there's plenty of garlic and some chilli (can request for less spicy), so it takes getting used to. Auntie very proud of her chilli - she told me before to go for mee kia rather than mee pok because you get to slurp more of the chilli.

Prices range $3 (sliced half prawns that don't taste very nice), $5 (2 full prawns and maybe one half sliced type) to $15 (or is that $20) for the girnomous type of prawns. I usually go for the $5 option ($10 prawns too big). The cheaper options tend to sell out early on, by weekend noon, usually left with the more exp options (no more $5/10).

Auntie can be a bit of food Nazi but she's actually very very nice and warm hearted - and they are very proud of their handiwork. Do go and support, they are getting on in years, no successor in sight, will be a sad day when they call it a day.

BTW, the yong tau foo stall couple of stalls down from wah kee is quite nice. they have this special deepfried meat balls that are handmade. AND the chicken/char siew (?) rice next to Wah kee is also very popular for its cheap prices.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Re: ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre - Good Food

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:07 am

Why so chim after exiting CTE?!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:15 am

Nebbermind wrote:
jetsetter wrote:

You should try Hong Lim, People's Park

Find Hong Lim rather stuffy. What's good at PP? Kovan - nothing interesting. Love the two beef noodle stalls @ Old Airport. Kreta Ayer is OK but parking is a chore. Hardly go to BoonKeng and Telok Ayer

Hong Lim is famous for a Bak Chor Mee stall and Curry Mee...

PP is my latest craze this month!!!

It's a Mini Chinese Food Paradise! The most famous is 日日红麻辣香锅 which is directly opp McDs @ Chinatown MRT exit near OG. #01-1036.

BTW there's a copycat 日日红 deep inside PP food ctr. Dun go to that wrong one.

There are many Sichuan, Chongqing, Shaanxi Xian stalls. It's quite diff from the Boon Lay Jurong West ones which are dominated by 东北 floury stuffs.

I enjoy my regular Sichuan fare at PP;)

Will try others soon. I recommended to pirated and he immediately made a dash to PP to get his 西安 肉夹馍 quick fix and other 麻辣 delights!!

If you are not into spicy stuff, PP is famous for 培记酿豆腐. Stall owner is some arrogant YTF nazi there so dun make him angry!

Didn't know this place existed. Old housing estate? I like the prawn mee at Redhill market and also at a Penang food restoran near Aljunied MRT. What time does Wah Kee starts business? Thought of trying if it's shorter Q at off peak hrs.

I met Fann Wong, Chris Lee n bb there once. They were doing their 'wet mktg'. It's near Newton/Keng Lee...old estate with English road names.

Wah Kee only opens from 9am I think??? I always go there at 9+ to queue. Pek Kio has a famous HK chee cheong fun but I didn't find it great.

Redhill prawn mee nice? Wait till u try 大叔的 Wah Kee! Very "gao"...

nope, Don't fancy Gurney Drive food...

That's the stall near the CP access, ya?

There's only one Fatty. I didn't try cos I was looking for sthg else.

There's one Lor Mee and Wanton Mee...think side by side...quite popular. Another Wanton Mee run by a fat Unker...not bad too.

Ok wanton mee is my fav. I will find an excuse to go ABC again;)

The best wanton mee to me is at Amoy Street / Telok Ayer food ctr: Blanco Court Wanton Mee.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:17 am

Wah Kee prawn mee at Pek Kio

Sorli tankee, we hv hijacked your ABC thread !!

Last edited by jetsetter on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:24 am

Nebbermind wrote:Why so chim after exiting CTE?!

Depend on which side of CTE you exit? if you came from town in direction towards AMK, it's super easy. If it's from AMK towards town side, gets a tad complicated. Pek kio is actually very near to United Sq/KK hospital.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jetsetter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:32 am

hquek wrote:
But when I'm at Pek Kio Mkt, I only eat the famous prawn mee from Wah Kee. Best broth ever. Super long queue because the hawkers are very old and movements are ultra slow. Beats Whitley Road prawn mee stall at Old Airport Rd.

Wah Kee, aka Farrer Park prawn noodles, is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. They typically start about 830am (but if prawns are delayed, then there is no knowing when). Their prawns are bigger than usual. Queues can be crazy. I find it best to go earlier on weekends.

Stock is brewed fresh every morning, no msg, no pork inside. Fully respect auntie and uncle for sticking to the traditional way of cooking and not 'steal work cut ingredients'. Soup is more fullbodied and there's plenty of garlic and some chilli (can request for less spicy), so it takes getting used to. Auntie very proud of her chilli - she told me before to go for mee kia rather than mee pok because you get to slurp more of the chilli.

Prices range $3 (sliced half prawns that don't taste very nice), $5 (2 full prawns and maybe one half sliced type) to $15 (or is that $20) for the girnomous type of prawns. I usually go for the $5 option ($10 prawns too big). The cheaper options tend to sell out early on, by weekend noon, usually left with the more exp options (no more $5/10).

Auntie can be a bit of food Nazi but she's actually very very nice and warm hearted - and they are very proud of their handiwork. Do go and support, they are getting on in years, no successor in sight, will be a sad day when they call it a day.

BTW, the yong tau foo stall couple of stalls down from wah kee is quite nice. they have this special deepfried meat balls that are handmade. AND the chicken/char siew (?) rice next to Wah kee is also very popular for its cheap prices.

U r also a Wah Kee fan!! :hi5:

Yes get the upsize bowl

The prawns are huge!

I ordered the small bowl only

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:55 am

jetsetter wrote:Wah Kee prawn mee at Pek Kio

Sorli tankee, we hv hijacked your ABC thread !!

:drool:

js, thks !

now u have "reignite" my memory again,
ex colleague brought me there yrs ago.
i shall bug dh to go too

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Pek Kio Market - Review

Postby Nebbermind » Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 am

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Prawn noodles from that stall is value for money...I love dry prawn bee hoon.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dash88 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:58 am

Just down the road from Pek Kio

https://www.facebook.com/PeraMakan/

dash88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop