Crabs

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Crabs

Postby janet88 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi,
Son wants to eat butter crab. Any recommendations where we can find this? Thanks.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Crabs

Postby hquek » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:34 am

Saw web pages gushing about butter crabs at Mellben Seafood (I have only been to the one at AMK, they are famed for crab beehoon also). Caveat! I have not been to Mellben for a long time, heard that crowd can be horrendous and prices have been going north.

For crabs generally, I go to Uncle Leong's (salted egg, crab beehoon) or perhaps Ubin Seafood (you will have to call to reserve the big ones; on the spot, they usually serve the teeny ones).

These places best to book ahead.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:20 pm

hquek wrote:Saw web pages gushing about butter crabs at Mellben Seafood (I have only been to the one at AMK, they are famed for crab beehoon also). Caveat! I have not been to Mellben for a long time, heard that crowd can be horrendous and prices have been going north.

For crabs generally, I go to Uncle Leong's (salted egg, crab beehoon) or perhaps Ubin Seafood (you will have to call to reserve the big ones; on the spot, they usually serve the teeny ones).

These places best to book ahead.

saw melben at toa payoh lor 8...we go to the hawker centre for dinner sometimes.
the queue at melben is crazy! it's always crowded and not surprisingly, prices will go up.
crab beehoon at crab delicacy at tiong bahru is very nice but ex.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Sri Lankan is $50 above plus per kg
Price is increasing yearly ,
So ex that I seldom eat nowadays :(
Normal mud crabs cheaper but not as nice esp no fat pincer

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:00 pm

It's really hard to find the real meaty crabs I knew in the past. So far I had encountered it once at Ubin seafood (but had to call ahead). Most times, it's about 800g to 1kg type crabs, or it can be even smaller. Another place I go for crabs (but more so for chili/pepper crabs) would be Hua Yu Wee - their braised duck is delish! (also have to order ahead).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm

I love Chilli, black pepper and salty egg crabs. Ate butter crabs many years ago but can't remember where. Seafood is getting ex...which is why we have not gone to jumbo for many years.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:34 pm

janet88 wrote:Hi,
Son wants to eat butter crab. Any recommendations where we can find this? Thanks.

Tried 无招牌 No Signboard@414 Geylang before? They sell butter/black pepper/salty egg yolk crabs too. But my boy prefers chili crabs, so we ordered that.
http://www.nosignboardseafood.com

Can go there to celebrate dd's birthday and good results too :)

If not, there's Ponggol Hock Kee Seafood (famous one that used to be at Ponggol Point Track 24 in the 60s-80s) at Punggol Settlement. Owner just passed away.
http://www.ponggolseafood.com.sg

I also tried 螃蟹之家 House of Seafood before (at Punggol Settlement) but didn't quite like their crabs. Meat not very firm...
http://houseofseafood.com.sg

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:41 pm

thanks jetsetter for your recommendation.
i didn't think of that restaurant. i love chilli and black pepper crab. must order the man tou each time to dip into the chilli crab gravy.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:27 am

janet88 wrote:thanks jetsetter for your recommendation.
i didn't think of that restaurant. i love chilli and black pepper crab. must order the man tou each time to dip into the chilli crab gravy.

I like chilli crab gravy, but don't like messing about with the crab itself! Someone should sell the gravy with crabmeat, sans shell.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pacetone » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:27 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
janet88 wrote:thanks jetsetter for your recommendation.

I like chilli crab gravy, but don't like messing about with the crab itself! Someone should sell the gravy with crabmeat, sans shell.

When I do not want the mess and yet crave for chilli crab, I'll cook chilli crab pasta with frozen crab meat (no choice).

pacetone
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop