Fried Carrot Cake, Black

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Fried Carrot Cake, Black

Postby longreach » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:15 pm

I missed the carrot stall when I was a teenage at bukit panjang area. It was a whopping 30 mins wait on every sat and sun morning. This stall only fried the black version.

Till to date, I cannot find any stall that that can make me salivate. You guys has any good recommendation?

longreach
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:20 pm

My favourites fried carrot cakes stalls are at

Zion Road Hawker Centre (opposite Great World City), stall owned and operated by a deaf & mute couple.

Red Hill Hawker Centre

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:21 pm

This is another of my favourite food, used to eat the one by the old man in Tiong Bahru, not sure if he has retained his stall in the newly renovated setup.

I get my share of fill these days with home-made ones from my mum. It tastes fabulous with extra ingredient of love.. :wink:

Postby longreach » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 pm

tankee wrote:My favourites fried carrot cakes stalls are at

Zion Road Hawker Centre (opposite Great World City), stall owned and operated by a deaf & mute couple.

Red Hill Hawker Centre

I tried the stalled at Zion Rd, didn't find it that fantastic.

Last year chance a upon a stall at the hawker center along red hill close, could it be red hill hawker center? I find their fried black carrot cake is better the the Zion's stall. Must go back again.

longreach
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:32 pm

longreach wrote:I tried the stalled at Zion Rd, didn't find it that fantastic.

Last year chance a upon a stall at the hawker center along red hill close, could it be red hill hawker center? I find their fried black carrot cake is better the the Zion's stall. Must go back again.

when you were at Zion Rd, was it fried by the man or by his wife. The man got better kungfu.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:33 pm

ks2me wrote:This is another of my favourite food, used to eat the one by the old man in Tiong Bahru, not sure if he has retained his stall in the newly renovated setup.

I get my share of fill these days with home-made ones from my mum. It tastes fabulous with extra ingredient of love.. :wink:

i think he sold his stall when the centre was shifted back to the new building.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm

tankee wrote:
ks2me wrote:This is another of my favourite food, used to eat the one by the old man in Tiong Bahru, not sure if he has retained his stall in the newly renovated setup.

i think he sold his stall when the centre was shifted back to the new building.

oh oh.....there goes the skilful one........

Postby mintcc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:49 pm

I like the one at Bukit Merah View market...by two brothers.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

(Black) Carrot Cake

Postby Startz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 pm

There's this VERY old man at Pek Kio market cum food centre that fries his carrot cake with a lot of eggs (as low as $1.50) and puts his heart and soul in it. Always a long queue. He does not open every day now though. Sigh..

Another one I recently chanced on is the Tiong Bahru market.The cook cuts his carrot cake in even strips. The carrot cake (minus sauce) is soft and fragrant.

Another thing I realised about carrot cakes(black) is some like it wet while others like it dry. So depending on your inclinations, you would veer towards certain stalls.
And .. a good test of the carrot cake itself is if you "da bao' back, and reheat it in the microwave several hours later and the food turns into a sodden mass then that carrot cake is of inferior quality.The best ones pass this test!

I speak like a real pro..no lah...like any typical kiasu Singaporean want value for money mah! :lol:

Startz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: (Black) Carrot Cake

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Startz wrote:There's this VERY old man at Pek Kio market cum food centre that fries his carrot cake with a lot of eggs (as low as $1.50) and puts his heart and soul in it. Always a long queue. He does not open every day now though. Sigh..

Another one I recently chanced on is the Tiong Bahru market.The cook cuts his carrot cake in even strips. The carrot cake (minus sauce) is soft and fragrant.

Another thing I realised about carrot cakes(black) is some like it wet while others like it dry. So depending on your inclinations, you would veer towards certain stalls.
And .. a good test of the carrot cake itself is if you "da bao' back, and reheat it in the microwave several hours later and the food turns into a sodden mass then that carrot cake is of inferior quality.The best ones pass this test!

I speak like a real pro..no lah...like any typical kiasu Singaporean want value for money mah! :lol:

Sounds pro indeed...welcome to kiasu foodie paradize!

Next

Return to Tuckshop