Onigiri (rice ball) with salmon and cucumber

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Onigiri (rice ball) with salmon and cucumber

Postby lklow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:34 am

Unlike sushi, onigiri is pretty easy to make and required less skill. It's ideal for lunch boxes and picnic outing. Below is a simple recipe for sharing:

http://food-4tots.com/2010/03/22/onigir ... -cucumber/

Regards,
LK (Food-4Tots)

lklow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for sharing. I'm tempted to buy the moulds and cutters too but dunno if they will be worth it in the long run. So far, I've only made onigiri by hand and my DD1 likes it simple so I just coat it with the pink flakes.

This was what I made for her birthday last year. My sushi rolling skills need a lot of work but this time, I managed to make a perfect heart (using a cookie cutter). :D I put the seaweed under the heart instead of around it as I wanted the heart to be clearly visible when she took her bento out to eat during recess.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:01 pm

schellen wrote:Image

wow that looks very pretty, perfect and very yummy :wink:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yerdua » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Wow! I can imagine your dd1's classmates going gaga abt her bento box that day! :D

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lklow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 am

Hi Schellen,

Your heart shape onigiri looks so adorable!

Regards,
LK (Food-4Tots)

lklow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 am

schellen wrote:Image

wow !!! :udawoman:

your child must be very happy & proud that day !

tankee
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:21 pm

DD1 was spoiled rotten that day with all the attention and gifts she got. This year, she got even more attention and better gifts (IMO) cos we (extended family included) didn't want her to feel left out after the birth of DD2.

I dunno if her friends saw it cos she didn't tell me anything. She also couldn't finish it cos she wanted to play during recess too.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:22 pm

lklow wrote:Hi Schellen,

Your heart shape onigiri looks so adorable!

Regards,
LK (Food-4Tots)

Thanks! We popped by Daiso yesterday and DD1 chose a bear-shaped seaweed cutter. I'll probably use it to "lure" her into helping me make the sushi and onigiri this time. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Onigiri (rice ball) with salmon and cucumber

Postby pokemon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 pm

[quote="lklow"]Unlike sushi, onigiri is pretty easy to make and required less skill. It's ideal for lunch boxes and picnic outing.quote]

i definitely agree with you and it could be a meal by itself, my ds is a fan of my onigiri. i use can tuna flake, drain the brine and mix together with the rice with black sesame and some flake seaweed. Sometimes for variety, I add toasted crunchy small white bait fishes into the rice. From daiso or supermkt, can also gt the furikake mix for the onigiri. i din use any mould, prefer to use my hand, im trying to learn how to wrap the seaweed like those commercially made.

pokemon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lklow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:47 pm

schellen wrote:
Thanks! We popped by Daiso yesterday and DD1 chose a bear-shaped seaweed cutter. I'll probably use it to "lure" her into helping me make the sushi and onigiri this time. :wink:

That's great! I'm sure she will be very proud to showcase her onigiri to her schoolmates. ;)

lklow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop