Yong Tau Foo

KiasuParents are not only kiasu about our children - we are serious when it comes to good food. Discuss all culinary matters here, from cooking to buffets or fine dining.

Yong Tau Foo

Postby mocharita » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Do you wash your uncooked Yong Tau Foos bought from wet market? I washed them and the fish paste stuffing came off from the beancurds and vegs. How do you wash them before cooking? Thanks!

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tutormum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

just rinse

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 pm

actually, i don't rinse or wash. i buy mine from shop n save so i feel that it's ok.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Yong Tau Foo

Postby HappyAvon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:27 pm

mocharita wrote:Do you wash your uncooked Yong Tau Foos bought from wet market? I washed them and the fish paste stuffing came off from the beancurds and vegs. How do you wash them before cooking? Thanks!

We don't wash too...What we do is we will arrange them nicely on the plate and then pour hot water.....blanch it and they are ready for cooking....just like how u handle pork ribs before you cook them....My family loves YTF and we cook soup every day....YTF is always in the weekly list....The rest are on rotation... :lol:

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yerdua » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

I feel that if you pick more on the vege and beancurd stuff, it will be healthier.
But if you pick those ngor niang or fried stuff, they are loaded with msg and the soup will be oily too. :roll:

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HappyAvon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 pm

Yerdua wrote:I feel that if you pick more on the vege and beancurd stuff, it will be healthier.
But if you pick those ngor niang or fried stuff, they are loaded with msg and the soup will be oily too. :roll:

Yes right...normally for cooking soup, we don't select the fried stuff....these fried ones are not fresh and will not taste good too.....

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sakura_2009 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:02 pm

HappyAvon wrote:
mocharita wrote:Do you wash your uncooked Yong Tau Foos bought from wet market? I washed them and the fish paste stuffing came off from the beancurds and vegs. How do you wash them before cooking? Thanks!

We don't wash too...What we do is we will arrange them nicely on the plate and then pour hot water.....blanch it and they are ready for cooking....just like how u handle pork ribs before you cook them....My family loves YTF and we cook soup every day....YTF is always in the weekly list....The rest are on rotation... :lol:

How do you make the soup base for the YTF? Any tips? :D

MTIA

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Andaiz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 pm

sakura_2009 wrote:
HappyAvon wrote:

How do you make the soup base for the YTF? Any tips? :D

MTIA

I use ikan bilis soup. Cook the YTF separately in clean water...to get rid of the oil or residual bean-y stuff.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mocharita » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 am

HappyAvon wrote:

Thanks HappyAvon!

It’s a good idea to blanch the YTF before cooking and I’ve never thought about that. Gee..thanks!

There are limited choices of YTF from supermarkets and I do agree that these pre-packed are neater and cleaner. I can get more choices by buying from the wet-markets but many times saw the sellers using bared hands handling YTF after collecting $. And also, there are flies around too. Usually, I will make anchovies and soyabeans stock for my YTF, and adding a dash of sesame oil. I will probably be using the same blanching style for my chee cheong fun bought from wet market too.
:D

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mocharita » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 am

HappyAvon wrote:

Thanks HappyAvon!

It’s a good idea to blanch the YTF before cooking and I’ve never thought about that. Gee..thanks!

There are limited choices of YTF from supermarkets and I do agree that these pre-packed are neater and cleaner. I can get more choices by buying from the wet-markets but many times saw the sellers using bared hands handling YTF after collecting $. And also, there are flies around too. Usually, I will make anchovies and soyabeans stock for my YTF, and adding a dash of sesame oil. I will probably be using the same blanching style for my chee cheong fun bought from wet market too.
:D

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Tuckshop