Methodist Girls' School (Primary)

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Re: Methodist Girls' School (Primary)

Post by zac's mum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Why 24 x 2~2.5k rent? The MOE statutory period is 30 months right?

seriallain85
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by seriallain85 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 pm

zac's mum wrote:Why 24 x 2~2.5k rent? The MOE statutory period is 30 months right?
ah, you are right. I keep remembering it as primary 1 and primary 2. :lol:

seriallain85
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by seriallain85 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm

ricedoll wrote:
Only for MGS, the balloting strategy is reversed for dragon year. Otherwise, MGS has always been highly risky to enter every year with very high chance of oversubscription.

If you aren't a Christian and you choose to magically convert to one, the pastor will know it. The level of suspicion is very high. Even when our daughter already got in long ago, every "old bird" was still asking my wife "when is your daughter going to register p1" as if she volunteered in order to become a member.

During my wife's membership class which was years after mine, a lot of parents were filtered out during the classes. They got baptised but were not accepted as members. Suppose, if you didn't get the membership in time for applying and you paid 24 x 2~2.5k rent, you would immediately lose around 50k. It is a huge gam-ble

Thanks for the reply. :salute: First of all, what do you mean balloting strategy is reversed during dragon year?

You mean even within 1km and a methodist member theres high risk?
Can i confirm the baptise is for the parents only, not the kids right?

I mean my kids are still babies, so if I join a church now, its not going to be suspicious yeah? What do you mean a lot of parents were filtered out during classes? How? By what criteria?

I'm very curious how selective methodist churches are. I mean of course we would like our kids to grow up christian and with great values, so its not just converting for the school. But how much selection do they do even for membership? :?
1) Go look at the past records of dragon year babies. It is very unusal
2) wah lau, a very large part of the membership class is about baptizing your kid as well.
3) nobody knows but there are definitely basic background checks

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:29 am

seriallain85 wrote:
ricedoll wrote:You mean even within 1km and a methodist member theres high risk?
Can i confirm the baptise is for the parents only, not the kids right?

I mean my kids are still babies, so if I join a church now, its not going to be suspicious yeah? What do you mean a lot of parents were filtered out during classes? How? By what criteria?

I'm very curious how selective methodist churches are. I mean of course we would like our kids to grow up christian and with great values, so its not just converting for the school. But how much selection do they do even for membership? :?
1) Go look at the past records of dragon year babies. It is very unusal
2) wah lau, a very large part of the membership class is about baptizing your kid as well.
3) nobody knows but there are definitely basic background checks
Membership class is to prepare adults for baptism. But since Methodist churches also perform infant baptism, parents *may* be encouraged to have their young children baptised too. However, I doubt they are required to.

There will be interviews as part of the baptism preparation to check on the sincerity of beliefs. If the church decides that the person is not ready for whatever reason, they will be asked not to be baptised until they are. And baptism is required for membership.

seriallain85
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by seriallain85 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:07 pm

This really isn't the right forum to debate about religion but it really is very unusual not to baptize the infant/child especially as a methodist christian parent. In the membership booklet/phamplets, there is a large portion of literature dedicated specifically to this. Of course, all this is optional because there are also parents that feel it is against the child's freedom.

ricedoll
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ricedoll » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:58 pm

My daughter is born in 2017 which is one of the lowest birth rate in whole decade of SG!!
I assume that does up my chances?

Also, which methodist church in the east is more old school, no flashy rock and roll concert kind?

ricedoll
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ricedoll » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:58 pm

My daughter is born in 2017 which is one of the lowest birth rate in whole decade of SG!!
I assume that does up my chances?

ricedoll
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ricedoll » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:54 pm

bump

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by phtthp » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:18 pm

ricedoll wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:54 pm
bump
What is bump ?
What are u bumping ?
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Post by zac's mum » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:26 pm

She is bumping up her previous post because nobody replied.

Ok I reply you.

It may be true that 2017 has one of the lowest birth rates in whole decade of SG (I assume you’re right).

But, the popularity of popular schools may not drop in tandem.

For example, my son was born in a low birth rate year (Tiger year 2010). However the number of boys fighting for a place at phase 2C ACSJ <1km was much more than the previous years. I believe it was tied in with the low rental prices around that area, more than any other factors.

So do not assume that you will have better chances.