Nanyang Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:98

Re: Nanyang Primary

Post by phtthp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm

since your P6 daughter have formed good trusted friendship, have made best friends amongst her P6 NYPS classmates, let her remain in Nanyang Girls High. Try not to change school un-necessarily, because she is so used to the NYPS school culture already, unless there are certain Upper Sec subject combination or Talent development programme or Cca or special enrichment only found in RGS, but not found inside NYGH, that you want her to pursue.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:19

Post by mommyNg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm

joycu wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 pm
Just curious and hope to hear from other parents, where would you want to send your child after NYPS? My daughter is considering either NYGH or RGS. Heard that NYGH is more intensive and culture similar to NYPS, but RGS is totally different system. What would you choose?
Each of us have our own reasons to which school we would like to send our girls to after NYPS. Take a close look at your daughter and consider which school environment would bring the best out of her. For one of our girls, we chose RGS because we think she would benefit from the exposure that RGS would bring to her: the diversity of students (e.g., different background, different races), the unique Raffles Programme, and the self-confidence that an RGS girl exudes. For another girl, we would prefer NYGH, because of her personality and disposition we think she would do better in a more strict, hand-holding, and conservative environment :wink:

But many girls in NYPS also went to schools other than NYGH or RGS, e.g., MGS, St Nicks, NUS High, etc. by choice, as they feel that these schools offer an environment and curriculum that best suited to the girls' needs.

joycu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by joycu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

phtthp wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm
since your P6 daughter have formed good trusted friendship, have made best friends amongst her P6 NYPS classmates, let her remain in Nanyang Girls High. Try not to change school un-necessarily, because she is so used to the NYPS school culture already, unless there are certain Upper Sec subject combination or Talent development programme or Cca or special enrichment only found in RGS, but not found inside NYGH, that you want her to pursue.
You know, it's just so true. Hubby and I also feel this is an important factor. however it is also not true that all NYPS girls go to NYGH? In fact I know quite a few that went to RGS from previous years. We are worried that it may not be the best fit and also her friends claim to be undecided too!! Nobody wants to leak their secrets and sometimes I feel we as parents are all trying groping around in the dark!

For secondary school, I do believe that the networking opportunities are also important.

In primary school we do choose based on reputation and how good the school will influence our DD and DS, but I feel that by the time you go to secondary school, there's a lot more to think about. The teen years are so important to shape a person. I'll personally say I've seen many teens change so much in secondary school and become quite weird, from friends and their stories. I'm sure you know what I mean.

So that's why we are faced with this manner of thinking.

joycu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by joycu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:32 pm

mommyNg wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm
joycu wrote:
Just curious and hope to hear from other parents, where would you want to send your child after NYPS? My daughter is considering either NYGH or RGS. Heard that NYGH is more intensive and culture similar to NYPS, but RGS is totally different system. What would you choose?
Each of us have our own reasons to which school we would like to send our girls to after NYPS. Take a close look at your daughter and consider which school environment would bring the best out of her. For one of our girls, we chose RGS because we think she would benefit from the exposure that RGS would bring to her: the diversity of students (e.g., different background, different races), the unique Raffles Programme, and the self-confidence that an RGS girl exudes. For another girl, we would prefer NYGH, because of her personality and disposition we think she would do better in a more strict, hand-holding, and conservative environment :wink:

But many girls in NYPS also went to schools other than NYGH or RGS, e.g., MGS, St Nicks, NUS High, etc. by choice, as they feel that these schools offer an environment and curriculum that best suited to the girls' needs.
Did your daughter enjoy the Raffles Programme? You hit the nail on the head. I like RGS because they are confident. I do think as parents we all know how good it feels to mention the Raffles brand too.

I'm worried about how strict NYGH may be and if it'll stifle her creativity, which was not an issue for us in primary school but becomes one in secondary school. But NYGH is the top girls' school and one gets the sense that times are changing... This is too stressful on top of PSLE and CCA commitments .

Hubby is quite senan about the whole exercise. Me, I'm the one. Maybe because I know how hard it is for working women!

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:19

Post by mommyNg » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm

joycu wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Did your daughter enjoy the Raffles Programme? You hit the nail on the head. I like RGS because they are confident. I do think as parents we all know how good it feels to mention the Raffles brand too.

I'm worried about how strict NYGH may be and if it'll stifle her creativity, which was not an issue for us in primary school but becomes one in secondary school. But NYGH is the top girls' school and one gets the sense that times are changing... This is too stressful on top of PSLE and CCA commitments .

Hubby is quite senan about the whole exercise. Me, I'm the one. Maybe because I know how hard it is for working women!
Yes, she is enjoying herself at RGS tremendously, and I do see that she is carrying herself well and more confidently (humble yet self-assured). At first, like you, I was worried whether she can adjust to a different culture/environment, and thought that maybe going with the familiar would be better, but that was unnecessary. She made great friends whom they study together, make notes together, play together, laugh together, and encourage each other when the going gets tough.

I don’t think NYGH will stifle her creativity, maybe more subdued in terms of self-expression for some, but they are all fine ladies. The school has strong traditions so the girls would turn out well. For my younger girl, it would be nice to see her develop in this way :lol:

Are you planning to DSA? Have you gone to their open house? Open house will give you a sense of the school’s curriculum, educational approach and vibes. Best if you have good friends whose daughters are in either schools, then they can provide you with a more personal, hopefully unfiltered version of their daughters’ experiences.

You may not need to decide now which school to go. If you are planning for DSA, try both schools if you can, and wait for offers before you decide. If via PSLE, then you have to see if your girl can meet the COP. Last year’s COP for RGS is 259, NYGH is 258 (including HCL bonus), and for NYPS girls’ affiliation is 250 (also including HCL bonus).

All the best to you and your dd!

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by peasants » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:08 am

joycu wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:32 pm
mommyNg wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm
joycu wrote:

But NYGH is the top girls' school and one gets the sense that times are changing... This is too stressful on top of PSLE and CCA commitments .
Since you feel it is the top girls' school, then it cannot be wrong. Follow your mind / DD mind and enjoy studying with no regrets.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm

joycu wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm
phtthp wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm
You know, it's just so true. Hubby and I also feel this is an important factor. however it is also not true that all NYPS girls go to NYGH? In fact I know quite a few that went to RGS from previous years. We are worried that it may not be the best fit and also her friends claim to be undecided too!! Nobody wants to leak their secrets and sometimes I feel we as parents are all trying groping around in the dark!

For secondary school, I do believe that the networking opportunities are also important.

In primary school we do choose based on reputation and how good the school will influence our DD and DS, but I feel that by the time you go to secondary school, there's a lot more to think about. The teen years are so important to shape a person. I'll personally say I've seen many teens change so much in secondary school and become quite weird, from friends and their stories. I'm sure you know what I mean.

if your daughter prefer RGS, let her go RGS.

She still can keep in contact with her 2019 P6 NYPS best friends, close friends, regularly.
When she go RGS, she will form another group (clique) of new friends, over there.

Secondary school classmates, Junior College classmates' and university classmates' friendship, form an integral part of our lives. Later on one day when she go out to work, she can still keep in contact with all these friends (ex-classmates, ex-schoolmates), whom she grow up, closely bonded together with.

Since 25 May (Sat) is coming, just bring her to RGS Open house, feel the vibrant atmosphere there. Can walk around the exhibition booth, talk to Teachers stationed around the booth, can ask them or students, any questions that u have. Can let her try DSA. If she obtain RGS (CO), it is a more definite (conclusive) way of entry.
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:123

Post by floppy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm

joycu wrote:
This is my suggestion, don’t over-think now.

Here’s the elephant in the room. You can be looking at RGS or NYGH but you may well end up with CGSS when the result is out. Nothing is ever certain, not even for the top-est student. Thus to avoid disappointment, best not to get yourself lock into any school at this point.

peasants
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by peasants » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm

joycu wrote:

In primary school we do choose based on reputation and how good the school will influence our DD and DS, but I feel that by the time you go to secondary school, there's a lot more to think about.
Not me, DDs choose primary school based on nearest distance. They choose secondary schools based on COP fit.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:25 pm

joycu wrote: ...
since your daughter inside NYPS, if achieve 250 & above (include HCL bonus points), can go back NYGH.
No need to DSA into NYGH.

Can try DSA into RGS.
If RGS give u CO or Waitlist, take.
If not, wait for November PSLE results, consider RGS / NYGH or other schools, enter by T-score.