Anglo-Chinese School (Junior)

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
Gie2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Anglo-Chinese School (Junior)

Post by Gie2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Good evening all,

So tomorrow we are told there was a temperature taking exercise but perhaps my DS did not pay attention in class on what is really going to happen tomorrow.
Can someone enlighten me on what really happens during this exercise and does the kid need to bring their own thermometer to school?

Thank you very much.

Regards....

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:53 pm

Gie2 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:19 pm
Good evening all,

So tomorrow we are told there was a temperature taking exercise but perhaps my DS did not pay attention in class on what is really going to happen tomorrow.
Can someone enlighten me on what really happens during this exercise and does the kid need to bring their own thermometer to school?

Thank you very much.

Regards....
P1s will be given new thermometers, don’t worry.

The boys will be shown and taught how to put the thermometer under their tongue & hols it there until it beeps. Then write down the temperature for the teacher to see. That’s pretty much it.

Subsequent years, just bring the same thermometer on the relevant day. Actually most boys just leave it in the front pocket of their school bag the entire year.

Us parents just check it every one or two years to make sure the battery still works. If not working anymore, either replace the battery (a bit troublesome), or simply buy a new thermometer from Guardian/Watson’s/Popular. Every year in Dec before school reopens always got back-to-school discount lol. Few dollars nia, cheaper than a happy meal.

Gie2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Gie2 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:26 pm

[/quote]
P1s will be given new thermometers, don’t worry.

The boys will be shown and taught how to put the thermometer under their tongue & hols it there until it beeps. Then write down the temperature for the teacher to see. That’s pretty much it.

Subsequent years, just bring the same thermometer on the relevant day. Actually most boys just leave it in the front pocket of their school bag the entire year.

Us parents just check it every one or two years to make sure the battery still works. If not working anymore, either replace the battery (a bit troublesome), or simply buy a new thermometer from Guardian/Watson’s/Popular. Every year in Dec before school reopens always got back-to-school discount lol. Few dollars nia, cheaper than a happy meal.
[/quote]

Thanks Zac's mum!
:thankyou:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:31 pm

No worries. Hope u enjoyed the Maths workshop for P1 & P2 parents. The school has been conducting it for many years, the speaker is very humorous :)

Gie2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Gie2 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 am

zac's mum wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:31 pm
No worries. Hope u enjoyed the Maths workshop for P1 & P2 parents. The school has been conducting it for many years, the speaker is very humorous :)
We did not attend due to work.. will do so next year when they do the run again :)

Notabene
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Notabene » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi everyone, my son successfully transferred this year to ACSJ from a neighborhood school. He is quite well settled now and adjusting to a boys school 😊.

Can I know how I could join a WhatsApp group for 4.6 pls?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Notabene wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:43 pm
Hi everyone, my son successfully transferred this year to ACSJ from a neighborhood school. He is quite well settled now and adjusting to a boys school 😊.

Can I know how I could join a WhatsApp group for 4.6 pls?
Welcome!!! Glad to hear he’s settled in well!

Please PM me your number and I’ll link you up.

mei1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mei1234 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am

gvyong wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:02 am
Hi all,

I am thinking of sending my DS to a boys' sch and would really apprec if parents whose DS'es are in ACSJ (or any boys' sch in general) could advise if the sch approaches its method of instruction differently, on the premise that boys learn differently from girls?

Ref: Michael Gurian, "The Minds of Boys"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXR5giU0gs4
Hi, I am considering ACS (junior/primary) as well for my son for the same reason. Does anyone have any thoughts/insights on this? Ultimately, what we want for our boy is a school that recognises that boys mature later than girls and so, possibly engage in more non-academic activities/play to teach them about values and developing their EQ etc and the academic part can come later.

would appreciate if parents of existing students share their experience.

thanks!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm

mei1234 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am
gvyong wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:02 am
Hi all,

I am thinking of sending my DS to a boys' sch and would really apprec if parents whose DS'es are in ACSJ (or any boys' sch in general) could advise if the sch approaches its method of instruction differently, on the premise that boys learn differently from girls?

Ref: Michael Gurian, "The Minds of Boys"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXR5giU0gs4
Hi, I am considering ACS (junior/primary) as well for my son for the same reason. Does anyone have any thoughts/insights on this? Ultimately, what we want for our boy is a school that recognises that boys mature later than girls and so, possibly engage in more non-academic activities/play to teach them about values and developing their EQ etc and the academic part can come later.

would appreciate if parents of existing students share their experience.

thanks!
Hello! The video is unavailable, but I have read the book - incidentally, ACSJ’s school library had several spare copies and the librarian told me I was welcome to take home one or two spare copies when I showed interest. It is a fairly old publication (written in 2007!) but I think the premise (differences between boys and girls’ brains) still holds true today.

There is no MOE primary school in Singapore that uses programs directly from the Gurian Institute, at least not that I know of.

These are the things that I noticed ACSJ does differently from other primary schools (including ACSP):

- the PAL (Program for Active Learning) modules are mostly geared towards sports (rugby, tennis) and outdoor games & nature/weather exploration outdoors. This is an MOE initiative for all P1 and P2 kids and each school can customize according to their preferences. Eg. I noticed some SAP boys schools have mostly Chinese calligraphy and other Chinese cultural programs for their PAL. And the co-ed schools have more emphasis on Art and dance for their PAL.

- ACSJ has more P.E. periods compared to other schools. Yes I compared and counted. To me (and my boy), P.E. is VITAL in draining the excessive energy so that they can focus BETTER on the academic seatwork after that. The improved blood circulation does wonders for the brain. Unfortunately not all female teachers concur (some think that the boys will be too tired to concentrate later - not true IMO!)

- lesson delivery: there is use of educational videos during some lessons (not always) to capture the boys’ attention when the textbooks get too dry. This caters to the Visual learners in the population (of which the majority of boys are). Not much of catering to kinesthetic learners IMO. The boys are still expected to be seated and quiet while the teacher is talking. Only during discussion time may they raise their hands and wait to be called on. Definitely no walking about during lessons. Sometimes there is team project work but movement is still minimized and focus on the work is expected.

- plenty of sports CCAs to choose from. The school compound itself contains a playground (under renovation now) where the boys can run and play freely during recess and after school.

- the school library stocks boy-friendly books! Specially chosen by the librarian to include various Superhero books, plus many non-fiction books on War History, Space, Science Encyclopedias etc. MUCH better-stocked than public libraries IMO (80% of which contains storybooks for girls). And the school library does not expect dead funeral silence like in public libraries. Can talk but no shouting of course.

- there is no pressure on academic performance at lower primary, although the boys are expected to work diligently of course. The school will spot the slower learners and lots of help is offered to help them catch up. If you’re expecting Learning thru play (like in preschool) - sorry no such thing in primary schools. The boys will learn EQ thru playing at the playground outside lesson time. There are form teacher guidance periods where they will discuss “personal emotion meter” and how to be aware of own emotions (especially anger) - how to handle etc. School values are emphasized in the context of a yearly bible verse chosen by the Principal.

- not sure what else you’d like to know. Generally I can say that my boy is a fairly typical boy and he loves the school. He is also fairly average in school. Naturally those boys who are more academically-inclined (mature earlier just like the girls, less sporty, very studious obedient type) will STILL be the teachers’ pets - the bulk of the teachers are female after all. But there is room for the slow and average learner to grow at their own pace. Contrast this with an academic pressure cooker type of school (I’m sure you know which ones) - right from Day 1 the typical boy is disadvantaged and condemned as a “failure”, which becomes a downward spiral into “I’m so stupid compared to the girls, I don’t want to bother trying anymore” - true story I’ve witnessed.

carousel7
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by carousel7 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:56 am

:rahrah: Hi there, is there anyone staying in the east and takes the school bus to acjs? I need some help with the bus timings but the number on the school website has a weird tone upon calling. Can you PM me, if it's convenient? Thank you in advance! :)