Horizon Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Re: Horizon Primary

Post by phtthp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:04 pm

luvmummy wrote:Hi eastshore, why do u think the teachers won't b motivated to teach in new schs like punggol green & punggol view?

Thought new schs the principals & teachers will more want to show resultsto ramp up student rates?
New schools -
If got dynamic Principal with strong leadership skills to push, to get things done + good team of support staff : can go far.

But if P soft soft type, not bold to face challenges ahead, new schools can sink into oblivion, after some time

luvmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by luvmummy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 pm

That's for sure. In popular schs like horizon/mee toh, definitely the teachers r motivated to teach. I m just thking, with such fierce competition at horizon, I got to consider alternative at the new schs. If ballot out, also must compromise at new schs. No choice now leh! I didn't expect such high demand for horizon?!

eastshore
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by eastshore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 pm

Even if principal is recognized & strong background, it's gonna take several yeras to build up the school reputation.
Before that time arrives, I believe many children who are K1, K2 or P1 have already graduated.

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:14 pm

In popular sch, teachers are under more pressure, to deliver more as parents expect more and school principal expect more. My son is in MTS
and I could feel the tension/pressure, they were already start on 1B activity book in May and final exam in beginning of July!
However, I doubt the teachers there are really motivated, but rather under pressure to rush through teaching the curriculum. Let me also
pre-empt u lst. If you want to enrol in such popular sch, you have to really prepare your child well, make sure he/she really have a solid background, don't except teachers to teach coz teacher will expect your children TO KNOW. Many times, my son form teacher was absent. I don't know if she is on course or on MC. My son will just tell me teacher not here today, today silent reading... 2 weeks later... teacher not here again... sick... I called the form teacher thrice on different occassions, but she never returned my call.. 3rd time was a more severe case and she called me back (Son classmate's threw his glasses and lens broke).
Some schools that I know of, their teachers are very committed, they will not hesitant to give parents their HP no so parents can contact teachers at any time. The recent Eng test, 1/4 of the class failed, form teacher said: test upon 40 marks, those above 35 marks, gd job those failed you know what you should do. My son quoted what teacher told the class, and I thought: what could the failures do? Isnt what the teacher should do to help the failures? I think parents not only should pray hard their children can get into gd sch they should also pray hard their children can get a gd and responsible teacher.

luvmummy wrote:That's for sure. In popular schs like horizon/mee toh, definitely the teachers r motivated to teach. I m just thking, with such fierce competition at horizon, I got to consider alternative at the new schs. If ballot out, also must compromise at new schs. No choice now leh! I didn't expect such high demand for horizon?!

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Kiaseemum » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:17 pm

[quote="luvmummy"]That's for sure. In popular schs like horizon/mee toh, definitely the teachers r motivated to teach. I m just thking, with such fierce competition at horizon, I got to consider alternative at the new schs. If ballot out, also must compromise at new schs. No choice now leh! I didn't expect such high demand for horizon?![/quote]

What is the big deal about Horizon ps?
Just because it's a new school? There are NO psle results yet right?

luvmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by luvmummy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:19 pm

I like your name - Kiaseemum!

Which sch u register?

luvmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by luvmummy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 pm

I like your name - Kiaseemum!

Which sch u register?

3R
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by 3R » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:22 pm

I agree with u, Kiaseemum. I hope parents are not led by herd instincts when they make a school choice. All the best to all parents registering their little ones for P1.

eastshore
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by eastshore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:23 pm

MTS is also considered overrated.

Parents like to send their children to popular schools even though their children are slower learner. You can't simply add water if your child can't stay afloat.
Your children will be the one to suffer.

luvmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by luvmummy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:35 pm

I was quite impressed with greendale pri students when I went for the open house. They speak confidently & they happy studying there. But I don't know why not much registered there at greendale. Now makes me shaky abt making the switch!