Townsville Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Townsville Primary

Postby nat_mom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Moderator's note: This is the Parents' Networking Group for Townsville Primary.

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

Hi, my P1 daughter is in Townsville. I am quite happy with the school..they do organise few sessions with the parents during the 1st quarter, there was even a breakfast session with the principal. Let me know if you would like to have more info. I will try my best to assist :rahrah:

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nat_mom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Monster Mummy

Actually i was rather concerned when i saw those comments last year too. However they had a new principal last year and i did some research on him.. Also called the school to make enquiries and the staff were all friendly and helpful in answering my queries. My daughter's form teacher is very dedicated to her class and gets along very well with her students and yet being strict at the same time. She insisted that they write neatly and be organised and attentive. They got good CCAs too...my daughter joined gymnastics and angklung and enjoyed the activities tremendously.The only thing is that i wished they had higher Chinese..

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Monster Mummy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Nat Mum,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean the school is not offering higher Chinese!

I am quite surprise since P1, they are allowed to join the CCA. Does there got any co-curriculum activities incoporate into their normal school time table.

In addition, can i know how about the school homework, does it take up most of their time.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby nat_mom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Monster Mummy

There is no homework from Mon to Thur as they need to complete the homework in school. This is to allow the teachers to know the weaknesses of the students, otherwise parents will end up "helping" the students with the homework and teachers will not know if the students really understand the lessons. There is usually 2 pages of homework for English and Maths for them to finish during the weekend. They have PE lessons 3 days a week, each lesson is 30 mins. They do expose them to different ball games, gymnastics etc. They do not force your child to take up CCA in P1...it really depends on your child. My daughter loves activities and is able to mingle well. Majority of students only join when they are P2 or 3. :D

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby shopaholic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:16 am

nat_mom wrote:The only thing is that i wished they had higher Chinese..

Hi nat_mom,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it really helps! :D By the way, I went into MOE to do search on the school and it says Higher Chinese is offered leh. Extracted as below :

Subjects Offered : CHINESE, FOUNDATION ENGLISH, SOCIAL STUDIES, MALAY, TAMIL, HIGHER CHINESE, HIGHER MALAY, ENGLISH LANGUAGE, MATHEMATICS, MUSIC, ART, HIGHER TAMIL, BASIC CHINESE, HEALTH EDUCATION, PHYSICAL EDUCATION, SCIENCE, BASIC MALAY, BASIC TAMIL, CIVICS & MORAL EDUCATION, FOUNDATION MATHEMATICS

I heard this new principal is good, previously from West Grove Pri?

And care to share any info on their recess time? Will kids hv a buddy to guide them? Are the food healthy?

shopaholic
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ca3kids » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:46 am

Hi shopaholic

Townsville have Higher Chinese. My P5 took Higher Chinese. Even P2 twins were put to "Sheng guang" class which meant to prepare for Higher chinese depending on yr kids chinese ability. They will separate from their usual class and go different chinese class during chinese period

Yes, they have buddy system there. Each P2 student will accompany a P1 kid for 1 week. Food are quite ok. Have Pizza, Mee, chicken rice, veg rice, buns, fruits, Roti Prata etc....

Principal was from Westgrove. I listened to his talk session when my kids were in P1 when he just join as principal and talked to him on few occasion. Found he quite understanding and quite compassion. Yet to ask his view on Townsville future plan as recently quite busy and because of H1N1, parents are not allowed to go in unless valid reason.

He seems to communicate more to parents compared to the previous principal.Their vice principal also just changed to a man after the school re-opened but have not find out where the vice principal came from. Maybe someone in forum can advise on this? The school arranged more parents talks on how to guide our kids too.

The teachers including department heads there are quite responsive, they will return calls when u call teachers' room even if they are not around. For my P5, they do have relief teacher came to teach few weeks . I heard from my P5, the teacher was from other school. But sometime I think is good to have different teachers style occasionally, but these "relief" teacher are "on", they still give homework and teach as usual.

The school facilities improved compare to last time. Eg have small libraries below several staircase, have some computers display along near canteen,install table tennis table, few swings, 2 big chess sets for kids to play. They also changed the shoes to black colour this year.

No SA1 for lower primary. For homework also increase since this year which I find it is good. I dont know is it because new principal more "on" or other reason.

P2 almost everyday, I remember when my eldest was in P2, also not so much as now. I can say 4 days out of 5 days. P5 everyday homework since they are coming to P6. Also have extra classes to join depend on parents agreement. Eg P5 have Chinese News Reporting writing, Maths Olympaid (depend on yr kid maths, my P5 attending), P1 and P2 have English Reading/writing class etc.

Pathlight school opened next to Townsville. I think the staffs from Pathlight school came and gave a brief introduction to our kids . I heard my kids said that the school will eventually let the students from two schools to mix with each other occasionally. This is to let the autism kids from Pathlight to mix with normal kids and let the students from Townsville to know and understand more of autism kids which I think is good so as to cultviate compassion from our kids. But so far, because of H1N1, I think everything is still pending. There is a small locaked gate linking the two schools.

Hope this can give some info for those who are interested in the school

shopaholic wrote:
nat_mom wrote:The only thing is that i wished they had higher Chinese..

Hi nat_mom,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it really helps! :D By the way, I went into MOE to do search on the school and it says Higher Chinese is offered leh. Extracted as below :

Subjects Offered : CHINESE, FOUNDATION ENGLISH, SOCIAL STUDIES, MALAY, TAMIL, HIGHER CHINESE, HIGHER MALAY, ENGLISH LANGUAGE, MATHEMATICS, MUSIC, ART, HIGHER TAMIL, BASIC CHINESE, HEALTH EDUCATION, PHYSICAL EDUCATION, SCIENCE, BASIC MALAY, BASIC TAMIL, CIVICS & MORAL EDUCATION, FOUNDATION MATHEMATICS

I heard this new principal is good, previously from West Grove Pri?

And care to share any info on their recess time? Will kids hv a buddy to guide them? Are the food healthy?

Ca3kids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby shopaholic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi Ca3kids,

Wow, your info really provides lots of info, esp for parents like me with our eldest kids entering P1 and hv little info about what to expect. Really thanks heaps!

Looks like the school has addressed my key concerns, based on your description. :) Will be registering my girl next week. Hope all goes well.

shopaholic
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nat_mom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi Shopaholic

Nice to know someone's whose kids are in Townsville :celebrate: So they start to be "on" from P2..I am a FTWM hence is worried that i may not have too much time to supervise my girl. Heard they will be allocated assignments through lead.com when they are in higher pri?

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ca3kids » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:36 am

nat_mom wrote:Hi Shopaholic

Nice to know someone's whose kids are in Townsville :celebrate: So they start to be "on" from P2..I am a FTWM hence is worried that i may not have too much time to supervise my girl. Heard they will be allocated assignments through lead.com when they are in higher pri?

They do put assignment to lead.com but not compulsory type. The homework and tuition work already occupied the kids' time so I won't force them to do the lead.com. :wink:

Ca3kids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rejoice137 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:13 am

Hi all,

I am new to the forum too. Currently staying in BIshan. Did not get into PV for any of the school at Bishan so I have to try my luck with phase 2C for either CHS or KCP. Never have good lucky draw luck so need to think of my backup. Townsville is <1km of my house so it is my backup. I am glad to read that some of the moms here are quite happy with Townsville. I was worry before due to past comment of the school. Thanks a lot for sharing your view on the school. I sure help in calming our nerve :D

Do we know if the school going single session anytime soon?

rejoice137
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups