St Stephen's

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

St Stephen's

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:39 pm

This is the Parents' Networking Group for St Stephen's.

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Shimmers » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi All

I would like to hear some feedbacks frm mummies/daddies whose child is studying in St Stephen's.
This is one of the sch I shortlisted for my DS nxt yr, appreciate if anyone can share some input regarding the sch/teacher etc.
Thanks in advance.

Shimmers
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby AgDearie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 am

Hi Shimmers,

What do you want to know? My boys are in this school.
You have a specific area that you would to know.
Hard to tell you everything about the school.

I would say, they are very strong in English and Maths.
Since last year, their Chinese are also catching up even
though they only have Higher Chinese from P5, but their
Standard Chinese are also very well taught, and I noticed
since last year - June, this year Jan, not sure in June, they
will identified those student that are strong in their CL and group
them in a Enrichment Chinese Class, which they will stretch the
boys much more than the other classess. They also have class
that are for weak in CL so to give them a more comfortable pace
in learning their MT.

Is that what you want to know?

AgDearie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

long day

Postby lagoon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi
Does anyone have any views on the long day (thursdays) at st step? I find it a bit too long, and with cca on another day, find my time to do revision with my son at home very limited.

lagoon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby AgDearie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi

How do you find the teachers in this school. I felt too many non-chinese teachers. ha ha...... (just look at the number of non-chinese form teachers) sigh....

AgDearie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lagoon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:24 am

2 of my son's best teachers have been non-chinese teacers. So I have no issues with the race of the teacher.Is it a particular teacher you are not comfortable with, or are you just more comfortable with Chinese?

Are you happy with the long day?

lagoon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby AgDearie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Just find this school strange. True, my elder son has 2 non-chinese super teacher, but there are a few non-chinese teacher, not sure they are green or act blur. So far both of my boys like Mr Danny Koh! They find him handsome and smart. Ha ha.

If I have an option, I would prefers full day school. Ideally the school can cover CCA, Tuition, Enrichment all in the School from 8am to 6pm. So as parents, we do not need to bring them for enrichment or tuition.
In school, they can be more focus to complete their homework and use their time more fruitfully in school, rather than some children may be ended up at home doing nothing - ha ha.

Joke aside, I think the school does not have any option. Instead of making the children stay back an hour more each day, they rather have one day to cover all in one go. I would prefer them to extend 1 to 1.5 hour longer each day and give the children extra 15 min more recess break so they can have more time to eat that can last them till end of the day. rather than 1 day long day, otherwise the long day should be on Friday instead of Thursday.

Which level are your boys?

AgDearie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hashroop » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:02 pm

My elder son was in ST Stephen's and is now Sec 1. My younger DS2 is in P5 this year. If there was anything that I regretted in my life, that would be putting both my sons in St Stephens. DS1 was not in the top two classes in p5 and p6, and that was the saddest part. Top 2 classes are always at an advantage. They are given lots and lots of practice papers to do. Better teachers are assigned to these two top classes to motivate and better prepare them for PSLE. More Past year exam papers from CBS (christian brother school) are given to students compared to lower classes. Homework are promptly marked, these are to name a few of what the top classes are "entitled" to. Many parents like myself, who have sons not in the top classes are losing out alot. Top classes parents ive spoken to complain too much homework given. When I ask my DS2 any homework?.."no homework" will be the reply.Not that he has completed the work in class, there is just no homework/practice papers given.P5 is a crucial year in preparation for P6, but the teachers dont see this in weaker classes. As what other parents say, " some St Stephen teachers will just chuck aside the weaker classes and concentrate more on the better classes". Last year when my DS1 was in P6 i had to literally pull him out of school at least for 2 weeks before psle because I felt he studies better at home and tuition. When I made this request to the form teacher if ok to do so, his answer was just "OK". No questions ask why etc etc, Now i am facing the same dilemna for my DS2. He will be sitting for his PSLE next year. Some parents have called the teachers to address this issue, but to no avail. Last weekend one parent called the form teacher and ask why the difference in focusing and emphasis more on top classes, his reply was "Oh I just joined St Stephen's last year , so Im not too sure about this"!! This is the kind of response we got from a P5 form teacher! one parent was thinking of calling the principal to raise this issue, but was told dont waste ur time. Im sure there must be parents of St Stephen boys in this forum, I would like to hear their views too and to see if my judgement on St Stephen is true..

hashroop
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hashroop » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Sorry I had to log off as needed to pick DS2 from sch. As I was saying, some of us parents are trying to see if it's possible to arrange for a meeting with the principal to address this issue. This can be made possible if she does not avoid our calls, reply our emails and hold a meeting asap. We prefer to go through the right channel and not to bypass her. Here we are struggling to give our kids the best and there the school is not cooperating . I am already thinking of transfering my son to another school but my question is.. Is it fair for him to start all over again..?

hashroop
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby AgDearie » Mon May 31, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi Hashroop,

Finally their exam over. Now your son is already P5, and there is half more year to go in P5 and 1 more year in P6. You should check with your son, if he is willing or prepared to change. Sometime is not up to us to decide as we are not in school.

Which is the better class for P5/6 for this year? I am also very nervous because my son will be in P5 next year.

In every school, there are alway different treatment between the better/top class and the normal class. Sometime, the child can depend o the teachers in school, it became stress to the parents and child, but tuition teacher and enrichement or tuitor centre laughing all the way earning your money.

For the very sure and SSS is not the only one. Most the schools alway focus on the top/better class, and really drill them in every single subject and for the normal classes, you will felt that the teachers are not doing much. I heard from one mother that the teacher commented that even they cannot cover the textbook on time, how to do more. Some kids cannot cope.

I have spoken to my son's MT teacher, he also felt that they can do a lot more for the class, but they have to be fair to those that cannot cope, some of the students don't hand up homework, etc, so the teacher was not able to go thru and that caused delayed.

I have come to the stage that I will talk to the teacher then to the Subject HOD to understand in detail. As the more you talk to the HOD, you will understand where their direction. The only thing I hate is they always like to set exam paper far beyond the child standard and yet those weak class, nearly half of the class fail. If they have class banding, then they should have exam banding to be fair. Sometime the future of the child can be killed over In-house examination.

P6 is already like revision of what he had learned in P3 to P5, if you switch school, then you will have another set of problem as not sure your son can cope, as that school is also revising their P3 and P5 in their school's method. Each school has their whole style and culture even though at the ultimate end, all are taking the same PSLE.

I can just said we cannot depend on the school teacher, I rather spend more time coaching them myself and no time for shopping rather than leave to the teachers in school to teach my sons.

Since your son should have collected the Mid Year Result, you may want to talk to the subject teacher then the HOD to find out what is their directions for that level.

Wish you all the best.

AgDearie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups