Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 pm

This is the Parents' Networking Group for Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary.

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary

Postby ah_gu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:This is the Parents' Support Group for Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Primary.

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

Hi to all kiasus, this is ah_gu here reporting. Got my son admitted to KCPPS in Phase 2A2 cos I'm an ex-student from Presbyterian Boys' (Ah Beng School) back in Joo Chiat days. Got some special affections as I spent 10 years there. Last time we were forced to go chapel every Friday cos missionary school mah and hope they won't do that now. Well, just want to get to know other kiasu parents and can share some information in the near future.

ah_gu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Tulip » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 pm

ah_gu wrote:Hi to all kiasus, this is ah_gu here reporting. Got my son admitted to KCPPS in Phase 2A2 cos I'm an ex-student from Presbyterian Boys' (Ah Beng School) back in Joo Chiat days. Got some special affections as I spent 10 years there. Last time we were forced to go chapel every Friday cos missionary school mah and hope they won't do that now. Well, just want to get to know other kiasu parents and can share some information in the near future.

Hi there,

Welcome..... My gal is in P1 in KCPPS this year. They still have chapel every week - Monday :wink: Ha...I thought Kuo Chuan back then was a girls' school?

Anyway, feel free to share any info.

Cheers....

Tulip
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ah_gu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:53 am

Tulip wrote:Hi there,

Welcome..... My gal is in P1 in KCPPS this year. They still have chapel every week - Monday :wink: Ha...I thought Kuo Chuan back then was a girls' school?

Anyway, feel free to share any info.

Cheers....

Hi
You are right, Kuo Chuan was a girl school, Presbyterian a boys' school, when they merged, girls first mah :cry:
Thanks for the chapel info, but do they still force the students to read bible verses and "bow down heads to pray"?
Also heard that homeworks are abundant for the students, true?

Cheers :celebrate:

ah_gu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Tulip » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 am

Hi
You are right, Kuo Chuan was a girl school, Presbyterian a boys' school, when they merged, girls first mah :cry:
Thanks for the chapel info, but do they still force the students to read bible verses and "bow down heads to pray"?
Also heard that homeworks are abundant for the students, true?

Cheers :celebrate:

I am not sure about the bible reading, didn't ask my gal, but she was just "complaining" to me last nite, that she has to bow her head to pray, as her form teacher will check to make sure that everyone does, but my gal is not comfortable with it because as she claimed : "I am a Buddhist mah, why do you send me to a Christian school!?" : :roll:

Re: the homework, its true too. She has homework almost everyday.

By the way, the school starts streaming from end of P1, not P2 where is the practice of most schools. They will be streamed into the 2 best classes and the rest will be of mixed abilities. And after SA1, students with higher ability in Chinese will be streamed to "深广班" which they termed enrichment module, but it is not higher Chinese. So if you are "very on" type of parent, P1 also cannot relax ah... Also, the weekly spelling and tingxie constitute 10% of the SA1 and SA2 marks (best of five spelling and tingxie), so pretty stressful, every term got to make sure she gets full marks for at least 5 of her spelling and tingxie.

Tulip
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Winniepooh » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:58 am

Hi chief and all

Thanks for setting up this specific forum for KCPPS parents to network. I have registered my boy under phase 2c and many thanks to tulip for providing heads up of what we should expect next year.

Cheers

Winniepooh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Winniepooh wrote:Hi chief and all

Thanks for setting up this specific forum for KCPPS parents to network. I have registered my boy under phase 2c and many thanks to tulip for providing heads up of what we should expect next year.

Cheers

Congrats Winniepooh! I'm very happy for you.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ah_gu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:40 pm

Tulip wrote:I am not sure about the bible reading, didn't ask my gal, but she was just "complaining" to me last nite, that she has to bow her head to pray, as her form teacher will check to make sure that everyone does, but my gal is not comfortable with it because as she claimed : "I am a Buddhist mah, why do you send me to a Christian school!?" : :roll:

Re: the homework, its true too. She has homework almost everyday.

By the way, the school starts streaming from end of P1, not P2 where is the practice of most schools. They will be streamed into the 2 best classes and the rest will be of mixed abilities. And after SA1, students with higher ability in Chinese will be streamed to "深广班" which they termed enrichment module, but it is not higher Chinese. So if you are "very on" type of parent, P1 also cannot relax ah... Also, the weekly spelling and tingxie constitute 10% of the SA1 and SA2 marks (best of five spelling and tingxie), so pretty stressful, every term got to make sure she gets full marks for at least 5 of her spelling and tingxie.

Hi Tulip
Thanks for your feedback :udawoman: , I'll let my wife know about the streaming and the homework since she's in charge.
That's stressful when they start streaming to some chinese classes after P1 and I can only remember last time I had my first caning in school for failing my Maths Test in P4...
Think spelling not too much of an issue for my son cos he's doing some courses with British Council but not Chinese loh, he can't even write his own name...

ah_gu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 678Yess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

Hi, anyone is from Sembawang or Yishun? My gal will be in P1 in KCPPS next year.

678Yess
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

New in town!...

Postby faintz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi to all Parents,

Thanks for the wonderful support group forum!

My son will be attending KCPPS next year..
Had no idea there is streaming as i thought streaming is done when P4...
Seems like i am really backward on this...

Hopefully the "orientation" by KCPPS in November will be informative...

Good to be in here..! =)

faintz
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups