Bukit Timah Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Bukit Timah Primary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:56 pm

This is the Parents' Support Group for Bukit Timah Primary

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

1 people like this post

Postby JRR » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi,

My daughter will be P1 in 2010. My first child in primary school.

Hope to hear more parents, so that we could discuss & share our stories and concern about our kids in Bt Timah Pri.

:D

JRR
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby metz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi JRR,

I have also registered my son in BTPS for 2010 P1. First child in a primary school too. :D

Have you any idea what time the kids are expected to be in school next year?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rico » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 pm

chamonix wrote:Hi JRR,

I have also registered my son in BTPS for 2010 P1. First child in a primary school too. :D

hi, my son in BTPS next yr as well. First child too. I did ask the staff regarding the timing, the answer is not confirmed yet. Maybe will be informed on the orientation day. :D

rico
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby metz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi Rico,

Thanks for the info. :)

Looking forward to the orientation? I wonder how it is going to be like. Think I'm more excited than my son, haha..

Are you staying within walking distance to the school? We are not. Now, I am wondering what kind of arrangement I should make. Heard the parking can be quite trying. :roll:
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rico » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 am

chamonix wrote:Hi Rico,

Thanks for the info. :)

Looking forward to the orientation? I wonder how it is going to be like. Think I'm more excited than my son, haha..

Are you staying within walking distance to the school? We are not. Now, I am wondering what kind of arrangement I should make. Heard the parking can be quite trying. :roll:

hi chamonix,

we are not, outside 2 km. need to take transport. I did call the driver to chk the bus fee, but he said will be announced on the orientation day. but heard fr 1 existing BTPS mommy, the charges is not cheap. :sweat:

rico
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby IJJ » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 am

rico wrote:hi chamonix,

we are not, outside 2 km. need to take transport. I did call the driver to chk the bus fee, but he said will be announced on the orientation day. but heard fr 1 existing BTPS mommy, the charges is not cheap. :sweat:

My elder child was with BTPS for 1.5 yrs, she was just transferred out this Jun/Jul @ P2.

The school bus service is provided by a new company this year. Comparing the fee with her current school (which is very near to BTPS), they are charging $10 more. We paid $70 for both ways to and fro BTPS/home. We stay in Bt Batok. I was told by my neighbour, whose kid in morning session this year, school bus picks her up as early as 6.10 am.

The teachers' std varies. My daughter was lucky to have great form teachers for both P1 and P2. Both were very motivating and encouraging. They left encouraging words in kids' works and provided pointers on areas of improvements. They were very reachable and approachable. Her P2 FT, IMO, was abit bias. The FT hand picked a few bright kids to specially groomed them for challenging Maths outside school hours. I did hear feedbacks from some other parents that few FTs are not that fantastic. As for CL, her P1 CL tr :roll: gave kids a set of materials full of mistakes which then took a long time (months) to make alterations. Her P2 CL tr, on the other hand, was superb, but as she was also teaching P5 HCL (top class), so the cons were that she was often busy with the P5 class and hence, less time for the P2 class. She did manage to raise interest of my 'potato' girl in Chinese. They simply loved each other. So much relunctance for my daughter to make her choice to transfer initially.

Depending on trs, some classes have more homeworks than others. My child had little homeworks in P1 and when she moved to P2, she had tons of English and Maths homeworks, especially nearing exams. :roll: I was told by her P2 FT that they are doing away with P1 and P2 banding (except CL), meaning, the child will move on with the same class of kids from P1 to P3. That was what happened when my child moved from P1 to P2. They only split into various CL classes during CL lessons. Top 2 classes of CL kids do the shen1kuang3 CL and the weaker 1 class do tao3ru4. I was told the top 2 classes did alot more works compared to the rest. The daughter scored 92 for P1 CL and did not manage to 'squeeze' into the first 2 classes. She scored 92 again at P2 1st semester and they actually did considered to move her up to one of these 2 classes. Most kids in top class scored near full mark at P1 and the cut off for the 2nd top class was at 94/5 (P1 results). :roll: :wink:

As for CCAs, swimming classes (for everyone) start at P2. Some other CCAs such as bass band, chinese dance, contemporary dance starts as early as P1.

Their EL and Maths are always above national avg, but not CL. I think that is because the school has many foreigners, Koreans, Caucasians etc.

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JRR » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 am

chamonix wrote:Hi JRR,

Hi Chamonix,

I'm staying outside 2km. I did ask the teacher there, he said the school will start at 7.30am but not confirm the after school timing yet.

JRR
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JRR » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi IJJ,

Did yr child ever miss the school bus after CCA or extra lesson? I was told the school will arrange the bus driver to fetch the kids if they hve CCA or extra classes that cause them to stay back in school.

JRR
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FMz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm

IJJ wrote:Comparing the fee with her current school (which is very near to BTPS)

very near? Keming? Pei Hwa?

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups