Montfort Junior

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Montfort Junior

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:20 pm

This is the Parents' Networking Group for Montfort Junior

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

For more information about the school, click here.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

MJ Parents

Postby Sexyviper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:08 am

Hi,

Thanks for creating a new topic for parents to network. I have a P1 boy istudying n MJ. Will be glad to know other parents that have kid studying in MJ.

Sexyviper
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: MJ Parents

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:06 am

Sexyviper wrote:Hi,

Thanks for creating a new topic for parents to network. I have a P1 boy istudying n MJ. Will be glad to know other parents that have kid studying in MJ.

Welcome Sexyviper! How do you find Montfort so far? It was very popular during the 70s, but became a bit quiet after. Do you have CAs and SAs, or just SAs?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby buzybuzz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:46 pm

My DS1 is in MJS after being ballot out from Rosyth. Being a boy's school, my DS1 like it very much. There is little peer pressure and also many foreign pupils to interact. Only thing is that is that a bit far from our house. I will consider this school as my first choice if not for the distance. Note this school has a long history, and produce one of the president award teacher. IMO, this school is a bit under value and should deserve more recoginition.

As for my DS2, I will try Rosyth again, and if not successful, I am still ok with it.

buzybuzz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Sexyviper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Well, I can only say that I wish I had a girl. I was in St Nicks for 10 years and hence, MJ was far below my expectations. I wanted to hear from other MJ parents to see if they share the same views or is it just me.

I have too many unpleasant encounters with the school, especially the school bus company. For a start, my son went missing on the first day of school and I would have made a police report if the school principal had not intervene. Apparently, my son's name wasn't on the bus driver's namelist, so he missed him.

Their service did not improve after that. During the second term of the school, sometime in April/May, there was this other boy from another school (wearing different school uniform), around the same age as my boy, waiting for school bus at the same pick-up point. It must be the first time this boy is taking a school bus, from another school bus company, of course, since I have never seen the boy before. That morning, my son and I were slightly late, the school bus arrived. And the boy actually boarded the school bus, thinking that was the right school bus. We saw our school bus drove off and quickly run after it.

Luckily, the bus driver saw us chasing after him and stopped. The poor boy's mother still didn't know his boy has boarded the wrong school bus since that was the first day for his boy.

In the end, the boy alighted from the school bus and my son and the boy both stared at each other, as if to see whether they really look alike, how could the bus driver be so careless? He is wearing a totally different uniform and all the students in his school bus is from MJ.

Imagine if the poor boy had gone to MJ, what is going to happen? Does he knows how to call home to tell his parents to come fetch him?

There are still many, many horrible mistakes made by this school bus company which will take up too much time to post here.

I did flag out to the school but apparently, they are not taking any action. It makes me wonder whether bus fare is the only factor MJ considers when selecting vendors.

I feel so helpless since I do not have the luxury to ferry my son to and fro school.

Sexyviper
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Sexyviper wrote:... I have too many unpleasant encounters with the school, especially the school bus company. For a start, my son went missing on the first day of school and I would have made a police report if the school principal had not intervene. Apparently, my son's name wasn't on the bus driver's namelist, so he missed him...

Goodness... that's one terrible driver! However, we should be careful to distinguish the bus company from the school. They are 2 different entities. Also, if your son's name is not on the bus driver's namelist, then it is more the bus company's administration that has to take the blame, and not the bus driver.

Good for you to flag out these problems to the school. I suppose the question is why the school has not taken any visible action towards correcting the situation with the bus company.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Sexyviper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Exactly. The was my question too. I was shocked to find out that LTA allows school bus without nanny if the capacity is less than 30. Can you imagine a bunch of rowdy boys, like 29 of them on a bus without someone to look after them? And 3 of them has to share 2 seats. According to the bus company, this is in compliance with LTA policy. :?

Sexyviper
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby buzybuzz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:36 pm

I can agree that the school bus service can be improved as this is handled by a private operator. But pls view this objectively whether the school does provide your child the care, guidance and knowledge that you expected. We should not slam the school just like this. We have many wonderful experience with the school, and find the teacher very willing to work with us for the sake of our kids.

buzybuzz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Sexyviper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Whose responsibility is it then to ensure that the school engages a bus company that does not take us for a ride?

To clarify, I am not slaming the school but just hope that the school can be more proactive, especially when a child's safty is at risk.

As for whether the school provide the necessary guidance and all, of course, it does and I am not dennying that. However, I do not see anything out of the ordinary. Maybe because my son is only in P1 and I am being objective here.

Sexyviper
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wilmingtonmd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Montfort Parents! We are considering registering our son at Montfort and would really appreciate it if you would share with us your experience. What you like and don't like about the school? How are the teachers? How many students in the whole P1 class? How are the students? Any excessive bullying? Why is the school not so popular?

Would really appreciate any information you can share. Thanks!

wilmingtonmd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups