Paya Lebar Methodist Girls

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
lushlush
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Paya Lebar Methodist Girls

Post by lushlush » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 pm

baguana wrote:Thanks Lush Lush!

Any idea what is the selection criteria for PV? Also what are the available duties that parent can volunteer for?
Im not sure too.. haha. They didnt ask me any questions. They need parents for recess duties, traffic, help out in school events, accompany students for events etc.

Sunshineday08
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Sunshineday08 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Lushlush don't worry too much about PL moving or not cos it may not even happen; reno/upgrade is always ongoing for most schools : ) Actually people are more worried if they can get in.

Don't worry, my girl's primary 4 homework is still manageable cos this is not some schools which focus mainly on academics and psle results. PL is a very 'balanced' school as mentioned before and they also focus on values and character too. For the christians' parents here, you will be glad to know that once a week there's 1 period scheduled for christian devos and worship singing. Good luck to those hoping to get their girls in : )

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Blissedsher » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:07 am

Sunshineday08 wrote:Lushlush don't worry too much about PL moving or not cos it may not even happen; reno/upgrade is always ongoing for most schools : ) Actually people are more worried if they can get in.

Don't worry, my girl's primary 4 homework is still manageable cos this is not some schools which focus mainly on academics and psle results. PL is a very 'balanced' school as mentioned before and they also focus on values and character too. For the christians' parents here, you will be glad to know that once a week there's 1 period scheduled for christian devos and worship singing. Good luck to those hoping to get their girls in : )
Hi may i know if your child is in top class ? My niece at p3 has so much homework every day that she has to do till 10 plus . N she starts doing at noon

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by bebebub » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am

Blissedsher wrote:
Sunshineday08 wrote:Lushlush don't worry too much about PL moving or not cos it may not even happen; reno/upgrade is always ongoing for most schools : ) Actually people are more worried if they can get in.

Hi may i know if your child is in top class ? My niece at p3 has so much homework every day that she has to do till 10 plus . N she starts doing at noon
:yikes:

This isn't the case from the small sample size (just a handful) I know of the mid-primary top class. By 'homework', I'm referring to ONLY school assigned homework.

I know of kids who spend a lot of time doing 'homework'. I faint just by looking at their practice papers, spelling and tingxie/moxie list from their various enrichment classes/tutors.

Just sharing my observation.

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Blissedsher » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 pm

bebebub wrote:
Blissedsher wrote:

:yikes:

This isn't the case from the small sample size (just a handful) I know of the mid-primary top class. By 'homework', I'm referring to ONLY school assigned homework.

I know of kids who spend a lot of time doing 'homework'. I faint just by looking at their practice papers, spelling and tingxie/moxie list from their various enrichment classes/tutors.

Hi my niece is doing school work .there isnt any time for my sis to give her extra work . Just my observation too .. just wondering if this is the norm for the school or top class

Sunshineday08
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Sunshineday08 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Blissedsher, not surprised to know top class usually has more homework due to school's high expectation but I believe it's not the case for the rest of the classes (not uncommon in all schools though not just plmgs). So I would say majority of the other classes' homework in PL is still manageable; at least my girl still has time to play slime in the afternoon (I think she's in top 2 class) : )

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by bebebub » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Blissedsher wrote:
bebebub wrote:

Hi my niece is doing school work .there isnt any time for my sis to give her extra work . Just my observation too .. just wondering if this is the norm for the school or top class
The girls are taught to record the day's homework in their sch diary since P1. This also gives the parents an idea how much work is assigned daily, unless the student is not diligent in recording the homework.

The subject teachers will write the assigned homework at one corner of the board so that each teacher can have an idea how much homework there is for the class, to avoid overloading the girls.

For the benefit of your niece, your sis might want to review the homework entries in her school diary and if necessary, have a discussion with the FT or Level Head.

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by coolit » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm

PL used to be more relaxed but recently my sister whose daughters are there have started to see greater and greater emphasis on academics. Her eldest who is in the best class is bogged down with homework, weekends are also busy doing homework. She talked to the level head but it seems more parents like this emphasis so she just has to go with the flow.

elmo80
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by elmo80 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:07 pm

bebebub wrote:
Blissedsher wrote:
bebebub wrote:

The girls are taught to record the day's homework in their sch diary since P1. This also gives the parents an idea how much work is assigned daily, unless the student is not diligent in recording the homework.

The subject teachers will write the assigned homework at one corner of the board so that each teacher can have an idea how much homework there is for the class, to avoid overloading the girls.

For the benefit of your niece, your sis might want to review the homework entries in her school diary and if necessary, have a discussion with the FT or Level Head.
Hello, may i know which class is your niece in? My gal is also in p3 this year.

beanie3
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: PLMGPS Parent Volunteer

Post by beanie3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

SofeAfiq wrote:
beanie3 wrote:Hi, I am new here. My daughter will due to register for P1 next year 2019. My hb and I like PLMGPS as we heard good feedback about this primary school but we are staying more than 2 km from the school. We hope to sign up as Parent Volunteers and hope we could qualify for Phase 2B. I went to the school webpage but cannot find any Parent Volunteer Form? Can anyone send it to me at yt_yeoh@yahoo.com, please? Or is there any WhatsApp chat group that could let me join to know more, please add me 90104019. Thank you.

HI Beanie

Hope all is well with you!

I am new here too. I read your post and would like to know if you have any luck with the Parent Volunteer thingy? I am thinking to be a PV too.
Hi SofeAfiq
I have submitted my PV form. I don't know if I am successful ...praying that the school will call me.

Would any mummies here tell me when do PV start clocking the hours...from July 2018?