Elias Park Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Elias Park Primary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:33 pm

This is the Parents' Networking Group for Elias Park Primary

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby barney » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:31 pm

ok, let me start the ball rolling for EPPS. My gal in P1 this year. Quite happy with the school so far.....no exams at all in P1 but they were assessed in other ways, like show and tell in both chinese and english and some tests which parents were not informed at all, hence not so much stress yet

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:46 pm

barney wrote:ok, let me start the ball rolling for EPPS. My gal in P1 this year. Quite happy with the school so far.....no exams at all in P1 but they were assessed in other ways, like show and tell in both chinese and english and some tests which parents were not informed at all, hence not so much stress yet


barney, thanks!. Do you remember EPPS doing any entrance or "sorting" exams for your child to determine which class he/she goes to?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby PowerPuff Mum » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 pm

EPPS has a very active and dynamic parent support group. They are very involved in school activities and work closely with the school in support of school's programmes.

They won the Compass Partners Award in 2008.

Check out their blog:

http://eppsparentsupportgroup.blogspot.com/

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:52 pm

PowerPuff Mum wrote:EPPS has a very active and dynamic parent support group. They are very involved in school activities and work closely with the school in support of school's programmes.

They won the Compass Partners Award in 2008.

Check out their blog:

http://eppsparentsupportgroup.blogspot.com/


Wow... it's a pretty impressive blog! Can tell that lots of heart-work have gone into it too. PowerPuff Mum... are u a member?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319



Postby PowerPuff Mum » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:33 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Wow... it's a pretty impressive blog! Can tell that lots of heart-work have gone into it too. PowerPuff Mum... are u a member?


Yes, I am an active PSG member and loving every minute of it.
We have a very closely knitted yet OPEN group of members who look out for one another and work together. It is indeed a special privilege to be with this group.

Kudos also to the principal Mrs Wong Siew Shan who's a progressive and astute leader who are always open to try new things.

As a result of this close collaboration and cooperation between school and parents, we are able to be more successful in the programs and actvities that we run.

I need to mention that EPPS parents overall are very supportive of EPPS/PSG initiatives which help contribute to our success as a group.

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:47 pm

PowerPuff Mum wrote:... Yes, I am an active PSG member and loving every minute of it...


:ugogirl: Did you join only after your child got into Elias, or did you continue the work that you did as PV?

There were some discussions earlier about how some schools' PSG make it difficult for the schools to take on more PVs than they can. Do you think this is the case? How much say does Elias' PSG has on the PV process?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 319


Postby barney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 am

Do you remember EPPS doing any entrance or "sorting" exams for your child to determine which class he/she goes to?


No, the school does not conduct any entrance test to determine the classes they'll be in. In fact, they were already assigned their classes before orientation and when we received the orientation letter, the class is already indicated and they have to go to the respective class teachers for reporting during orientation.

The school only started to split classes for MT (maybe only chinese, not sure about the others) in Term 3 week 3 onwards. That means they took 2 terms to assess the kids chinese language ability before re-grouping them into 3 main categories like what other schools did.

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby barney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am

Hi PowerPuff Mum, which level is your kid in?

If I'm not wrong, I do not think the school has any PVs, based on the data for phase 2B application. They scored 0 in the past 2 years....

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:20 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby PowerPuff Mum » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm

barney wrote:Hi PowerPuff Mum, which level is your kid in?

If I'm not wrong, I do not think the school has any PVs, based on the data for phase 2B application. They scored 0 in the past 2 years....


The school does not take in PVs before the children start school even though there have been interested parties. The school encourages parents to join PSG when their children are already on the school.

We all join the PSG only after the children starts schooling which is more meaningful in my humble opinion.

My son is in P5 and daughter in P2. I have been in PSG member since my son started school in 2005.

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:52 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups