Greendale Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Greendale Primary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:35 pm

This is the Parents' Support Group for Greendale Primary

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby thinking » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi

Any P1 2010 parents out there? Do you find their monthly maths test easy? I think K2 pupils can do...
I'm rather worried cos when I give my boy other sch paper, he lost interest halfway due to the no of pages but he did very well in Greendale papers. Or maybe when they reach higher level, standard will be higher?
Pls share...Thank you....

thinking
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heyhoe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 am

Hi thinking

My kid is in P2 this year and like you, I had the same concern last year. Mrs Wong shared her feedback about Greendale primary school, you may want to view it in this link. http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... c&start=40

As for this year, my kid has more tests and exams; totally different from last year whereby it was super relaxing. He will be attending his SA2 late next month. Looking at what he has to do for preparation this time around seems rather intensive. Hopefully, he'll be able to cope.

Perhaps I can share my feedback with you then.

Cheers,

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thinking » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Hey heyhoe

Thank u very much for yr message....hope we can exchange more comments here...I reall appreciate it....

thinking
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:33 pm

The topical tests are actually very simple bite-sized tests.
Most of my students from Greendale get full marks or almost full marks.
However, I noticed that they have alot of frequent small tests here & there. More often than last year.

Again, if you want to your child to enjoy school and not be 'stressed' by exams, it would be quite nice to just let them follow the school's pace.

However, if you are like the parents of my students, then you can spend time using external materials to stretch your child. No harm teaching them higher order thinking questions or more challending questions if they are up to it.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thinking » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Mrs Wong

How about for Meetoh and Edgefield? Are their papers difficult?

thinking
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:53 pm

thinking wrote:Hi Mrs Wong

How about for Meetoh and Edgefield? Are their papers difficult?

Both are quite challenging.

Meetoh's papers are real killers, with most of the questions not even taught to the students before. A check with my students revealed that most of the students who do well (top the class) have private tutors or their parents spend alot of time coaching them (most of them have mums who are SAHMs and they also have tuition). We ever encountered questions (heuristics) where the teacher only teach the class the day before exam. Not 1 student but a few different students from different classes & levels.

Edgefield's paper is quite balanced in the sense that they are tested on what they are taught with a few higher order thinking questions and application questions. I ever had students who are able to do well without tuition from P1-P5, parents decided on tuition at P6 as they were afraid that their child might be good in their school (due to the exam papers set by different schools) but not good compared to the rest of SG. Most of them that I tutored from Edgefield scored at least 240 and above at PSLE.

Another example of how the two schools differ:
One student transferred from EPS to MTS. She was consistently topping her class in P1 & 2 at EPS. However, upon arrival at MTS at P3, she failed all subjects terribly (20+/100). Parents thought that it was the 'adaption phase', but were worried so she came to me for tuition. After speaking to the child, it was revealed that her teachers at EPS put in alot of effort to make sure they understand their concepts and expose them to different questions. It was not the same at MTS, so she was not able to understand the new concepts taught in P3 when she was at MTS.

It could be 'luck' based on which teacher they get too. However, I think MTS is seriously overated with the oversubscribed phases resulting in balloting.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi thinking,

Sure, I'm glad to share my feedback by then. :D

Also, you may want to consider Mrs. Wong's tuition. Actually, wanted my child to go for her tuition to ask her to help stretch my kid a bit. However, couldn't get the timing as we're working full time without help. We only have Saturday morning for her consideration.

Mrs. Wong, if you have time to teach on Saturday morning, maybe you can help to open up a class to stretch kids that need that extra boost. Currently, trying to teach my kid on my own but really difficult to get his cooperation. :pray:

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thinking » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi heyhoe

Is it true that Greendale has class streaming at the end of P2?

thinking
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heyhoe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 am

Hi thinking,

Sorry, I can confirm this yet.

I did ask the teacher during the last PTA meeting and the teacher only said likely.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups