Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

First Toa Payoh Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Re: First Toa Payoh Primary

Postby Huahuatan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:27 am

I see... I am wondering will a change in principal affect the intake. Is principal important? Anyone have any views to share?

Huahuatan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sagittaurius » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:31 pm

Huahuatan wrote:I see... I am wondering will a change in principal affect the intake. Is principal important? Anyone have any views to share?

Hi there is no change for the principal. It is still miss Pearly Ng.

sagittaurius
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Roberta » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Good question why the intake to First Toa Payoh is so low. It seems that the school website is being rebuilt. As PRs, we have a choice between Guangyang in Bishan (about 1K away) and FTPP which is very close. Registering next year for Jan 2018 start. Glad to hear your comments! One reason for the low popularity of FTPP may be that many locals send their kids to Pei Chun, a SAP school. It's surrounded by an old estate too, where probably the birth rate is quite low.

Roberta
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bababoy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Roberta
As you may have read my earlier post, I want to say that u have indeed made a right choice to send ur grandchild to FTPPS.
I AM the best person to say out this loudly bec I was an old boy there.Besides, my son and niece of one yr apart spent their wonderful six yrs there and eventually all graduated with flying colours in their Psle with T-scores exceeding 255.Both went to sap sec schof their preferred choice.
As for the poor intake, I guess it all boil down mainly to Singaporean "kiasu" syndrome, thinking that lf I do not let my kid enter a top sch, he/she will be left out far behind others.
It also depends on the capabilities of ur child.If the child is a "slow learner", not that he/she is not smart, perhaps the child is a late bloomer and given a slightly longer duration of time; he/she will be able to cope well in his/her academic pursuit.No point puting them in a top sch whereby the parents can proudly flaunt it to their friends and relatives that their child is in a reputable sch but in actual fact experiencing difficulties in coping with the academic workload and expectations of the sch.
Every child is unique and intelligent in their own way and we as parents should give them the opportunity to enjoy their "golden childhood"; not forgetting that afterall, success is not measured by your academic or financial status alone, only with the complement of health and happiness by definitions, do I reckon it as a successful person.Of course, FTPPS never forget to inculcate them the moral values of character development on top of the holistic academic performance in every child.
I had a close connection with my son's teachers during his six yrs stints and generally find them helpful and responsive with regrd to any queries and academic support.I would dare to say that majority of the FTPPS educators excercise patience with the students(both my son and I shared the same sentiments).
Anyway, wish ur grand child hv a wonderful yrs there in FTPPS

bababoy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sagittaurius » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi both my child is truly Singaporean. But base on this year registration rate it was getting less and less people. Really hope more Singaporean will support this school. Of cos pr non resident are welcome. Sometime I really do not understand those parents send to pei chun but their parents still talk to them in English. Aiyo. I wonder how they going to pass their higher Chinese sia.

sagittaurius
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bababoy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:21 am

Hi Sagi
I totally agree with you. Some of my elder son's kindergartdn schoolmate really struggle with their HCL when study in PeiChun.I don't blame the kids bec it was the parents decision to place the kids in a reputable sch,at the end it was always the poor kid who suffer not only to cope with the stressful and demanding workload, on top of that they would have to go for tuition and enrichment classes so as to meet up with the high expectations of both sch and their parents.
My kids and I are true Singaporeans too.But I always believe in giving them a happy and healthy childhood.Sometimes,boys will be boys and tend to be playful. I will let my two boys have some fun time provided they have completed what is required of them.Near exam time, both my wife and myself will take turns to coach and revise with the kids.But we will not pressurise the kids and merely spent about 1to 2 solid hours going thru the syllabus to ensure they remember the key points of the various subjects. The rest of the day is leisure , swim, skate scooting or a ball of game.They did not have any tuitions at all yet is able to achieve well in academic performances.
What I want to share here is, as parents, we have to hands on in their studies and do not rely too much on tuition.At Pri level, it is still easy to coach and give our best moral and spiritual support in their academic pursuits rather than leaving it to the hands of private tutors.Kids can sense your support and motivations if u are always by their side, even they did not happen to do well for some reasons, reassure them that u have confidence in them and I can assure u they will give their best.

bababoy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

1 people like this post

Postby ldawnl » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi parents,
I'm applying my child under the phrase 2CS. Will like to know more about the teaching culture (communication btw teachers & parents, are teachers encouraging to slower learners etc). Because there is little information about this school on the internet.
Very much appreciated for any information shared from you all~
Thank you!

ldawnl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bedshat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm

ldawnl wrote:Hi parents,
I'm applying my child under the phrase 2CS. Will like to know more about the teaching culture (communication btw teachers & parents, are teachers encouraging to slower learners etc). Because there is little information about this school on the internet.
Very much appreciated for any information shared from you all~
Thank you!

Yes, any parent kind enough to shed any information about this school? This school has only 3 pages all in all. Not much information about FTPPS online, here or facebook. Are there parents support group? The school’s social media needs some oomph to it, especially when your students are lugging a camera around, most of the time. I do not get much information from the school’s facebook too. I kind of feel like I am talking into a well somehow, somewhat. :?:

bedshat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres