Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Maris Stella High

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Re: Maris Stella High

Postby mrslim1234 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Parent

My boy will be P1 next year (2019). Any parent chat group here? :-)

Heard rumors that the school will move to Punggol, any confirmation?

Any of the boy in Punggol taking school bus to school? Possible to share the pick up time and how soon can they get back after dismissal? Journey back approx. 45min?

Thank you in advance!

mrslim1234
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nms1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm

cool_hi wrote:
zac's mum wrote:
Sky king wrote:Maris Stella seems like quite safe if stays <1km for 2C balloting history, is it really true?

anybody knows if it is okay if we are not catholic?

Thanks much!

Sky King...I see that you are doing a lot of research, looking into the possibilities for your boy’s registration. That’s very commendable.

I have just a general comment about Catholic schools, since I attended one for 10 years (I don’t know about Maria Stella in particular) - usually during assembly there will be a prayer time and the Lord’s Prayer etc will be recited. So if your child had previously no exposure to this, he may come home asking you what’s that. If you’re prepared to explain and answer what’s your stand on it then fine.

There are also special occasion Masses eg my school had Chinese New Year and National Day Mass for the whole school, which could run into 2-3 hours. I dunno if you can seek official exemption from these events if your child is non-Catholic.

See whether you’re comfortable with all this. Catholic and Christian schools will inevitably have such influences in school (that’s part of the whole experience) - your child may even learn how to pray before his tests and exams. If you’re strongly against the whole concept then better to try a secular school you’ll feel more comfortable with your child there.

:goodpost:
Pls be sure u are ok for kid to join in the prayers etc,
& do not expect & demand exclusion if school does not allow, as i think it is not fair to the school to make special arrangement,when u join the school knowing it's a christian or catholic school..
(There was a case in a certain school which a parent made a lot of demands on special arrangement,citing reasons like s'pore is a multi-racial & multi-religion country etc,school should make special arrangement etc& threaten principal that will complain to MOE etc...seriously i think it's being unreasonable..so maybe school shd impose only admit christian & catholic students??)

(No flaming..just my own humble opinion..)

Although in theory you can have your child excluded from anything religious, it is tough for the schools to implement as the mission schools will include prayers as part of morning assembly every day so it's difficult for your child to stay out for that part and come in for the announcement and other activities. For the beginning/end year mass it may be easier.

However, there are a number of Malay teachers (including tudung wearing ladies) at MS who seem to manage OK which I think goes to show that religion will not be pushed down your throat.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Ruhemut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 am

Sky king wrote:Thanks Much zac’s mum.
I’m okay if it’s just exposure, it’s good to know the different religions since I’m a free thinker, as Long as school does not force them to become catholic.

Kids are now also free thinkers, but mil is of some other religion. Just not sure if the kids will feel left out if they follow mil’s religion but not catholic in Maris Stella....

No worries, it is definitely ok if your son is not catholic and the school will not force you to change religion. It is just a school, a caring school in my opinion. In the morning, of course they will recite prayers but no one will force the boys to cite very loudly.
Catholic students will have their own religious study early in the morning twice or once a week before morning assembly. There are parent volunteers to help. Beside that and some celebrations, no additional religious study is in the school. The curriculum is the same as other schools. So do not worry.

Ruhemut
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Sky king » Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks Mums & Dads for reply to my earlier posts, you addressed my concerns about catholic school. Thank you!

saw some posts asking if school is moving to Punggol? is that really the case?
as I'm actually planning to move to TPY for Maris Stella.....

Sky king
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby baby_ayumi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Any parents who can advise if the school accepts baptism cert issued overseas for P1 registration under Phase 2B?

baby_ayumi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tripleJ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 am

My boy will also be P1 in 2019...... Any parents going to register for Phase2A1?

Hopefully can secure a place in #MSHS...

tripleJ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby phtthp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:33 pm

for Phase 2A1 : Maris Stella is still safe, even though is dragon-year admission, this year (2018).

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Orb » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:15 pm

yup. Safe for Maris Stella at 2A1.

Orb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tripleJ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:30 pm

okie :) looking forward to next week registration... and seeing my old teachers (not sure if any of them are still teaching.....)

tripleJ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Celng » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:01 am

Is maris stella moving to Punggol? Cos I’m thinking if there’s a need to shift within 1km of maris given the new BTOs coming up at woodleigh

Celng
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres