Maris Stella High

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
Post Reply
eyktay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jun 12,

Post by eyktay » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 am

angel12 wrote:It's good that we don't have to buy the Eng text cos teachers don't use it anyway! :roll:
Just called MSH to ask, this is correct.
Teachers wil provide materials.

angel12
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 03,

Post by angel12 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 am

cherlyn81_77 wrote:Can anyone advise for the last 3 yrs... I noticed that MS Phase 2B didnt go thru balloting, was it bcoz

a) Number of applicants (Both within 1km & out of the 1km) were quite the same as the number of seats?

0r

b) Number of applicants Staying within the 1Km was just enough to take up the number of seats?
Hi Cheryln81_77,

If you stay within 1km of MS, it'll be a safe bet. Jus to share, last yr I registered my younger boy under phase 1 (sibling) but pulled him out and registered him under phase 2C within 1km of MS. He got in!

As you can see, there aren't many houses within the 1 to 2km. Not forgetting MS is a SAP school and only offers Chinese as MT. MS is not very popular due to the location but with e MRT n new developments, I believe we'll see a diff trend soon.
Last edited by angel12 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoneyMong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 29,

Post by HoneyMong » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:20 am

I noticed that MSH is within Mt Vernon area - the place for funeral. Can anyone share if the procession/mourning - can it be seen by students who are coming/leaving school?

How far will the school be from the new MRT?

Kuasimi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 28,

Post by Kuasimi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:54 pm

HoneyMong wrote:I noticed that MSH is within Mt Vernon area - the place for funeral. Can anyone share if the procession/mourning - can it be seen by students who are coming/leaving school?

How far will the school be from the new MRT?
The MRT is just outside the school.
Schools starts at 7.30am and usually the kids are there earlier. Procession/mourning do not start that early.
The entrance of Primary section is at Bartley road

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Apr 21,

Post by acforfamily » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 pm

HoneyMong wrote:I noticed that MSH is within Mt Vernon area - the place for funeral. Can anyone share if the procession/mourning - can it be seen by students who are coming/leaving school?

How far will the school be from the new MRT?
Primary school entrance is at Bartley road (not Vernon side), have personally never seen a procession in all the years there.

By the way, school starts officially at 7.10 am for morning reading. But only considered late after the bell rings at 7.25, I think.


acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Apr 21,

Post by acforfamily » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 pm

2DMommy wrote:i don't see any Pr 4 English Text book in the book list. Anyone have any idea? :?
Better, right? They don't touch the textbook anyway. :)

Supersmart
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 21,

Post by Supersmart » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:40 pm

You are right they will just give you the lessons from their english
supplementary worksheets (which they also give it unit by unit)

VVJJ
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Feb 13,

Post by VVJJ » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi,

Have just spoken to the bus operator. She quoted me $65 for one way trip to Toa Payoh since my mum takes care of my boys during day time. If it's 2 way trip, Lorong Chuan ->MS -> Toa Payoh, it will be $125 monthly.

Anyone knows if this is a reasonable rate? I would have thought if it's a 2 way trip of different destinations, the monthly charge will only be slightly higher. Instead it's $60 for pickup fm my place and another $65 to toa Payoh. I just felt the bus operator doesn't seem to have a fixed rate and quoted me based on "estimation".

Most probably I will pay for the return trip.. The pick time timing is 6am though I don't really stay far away fm MS.

I don't seem to have any other choice..

cherlyn81_77
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 16,

Post by cherlyn81_77 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:08 pm

angel12 wrote:Hi Cheryln81_77,

If you stay within 1km of MS, it'll be a safe bet. Jus to share, last yr I registered my younger boy under phase 1 (sibling) but pulled him out and registered him under phase 2C within 1km of MS. He got in!

As you can see, there aren't many houses within the 1 to 2km. Not forgetting MS is a SAP school and only offers Chinese as MT. MS is not very popular due to the location but with e MRT n new developments, I believe we'll see a diff trend soon.
Hi angel12,

The problem is I'm living outside of the 1km or even >2km to be exact... But I'm eligible to be in the Phase 2B. Thats why im kinda worried...

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Apr 21,

Post by acforfamily » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:33 pm

VVJJ wrote:Hi,

Have just spoken to the bus operator. She quoted me $65 for one way trip to Toa Payoh since my mum takes care of my boys during day time. If it's 2 way trip, Lorong Chuan ->MS -> Toa Payoh, it will be $125 monthly.

Anyone knows if this is a reasonable rate?
I have encountered this before. What they explained is that they treat it as 2 different destinations and then give a discount of $10.
It will be much cheaper if both pick up and drop off is at the same point.

Post Reply