Maris Stella High

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
khaine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Maris Stella High

Post by khaine » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi parents,

Do your P1 kids do any actual PAL stuff during PAL class?
My son tells me that their teacher takes the PAL class to ask them to do corrections for their worksheets or more Maths work!!

PAL is supposed to be doing 'fun' things! Not another session for teachers to catch up on the classwork!

No wonder the kids say the only fun classes they have are PE and Art!

scang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by scang » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:42 am

khaine wrote:Hi parents,

My son tells me that their teacher takes the PAL class to ask them to do corrections for their worksheets or more Maths work!!

PAL is supposed to be doing 'fun' things! Not another session for teachers to catch up on the classwork!

PAL for Pri 1 only starts from Term 2 onwards.

scang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by scang » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 am

Imageschool wrote:Hi Everybody, I am new here and would like to ask what is the requirement to register my boy to P1 in Maris Stella, pls advice

- pure SC stay within 1 km still must do voluntary work or direct entry?
non affiliated, Ph 2C, compete with all SC within 1km.

Affiliated or did voluntary work in the right constituency or in the school, then entitled to Ph 2B, and compete with all SC within 1km, unless MOE changes guideline when it is time to register for your boy.

PapayaDad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by PapayaDad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

Quite safe last year 47 ppl ballots for 36 places. (btw 1-2km). Within 1km all in.

nguan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by nguan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

scang wrote:
khaine wrote:Hi parents,

PAL for Pri 1 only starts from Term 2 onwards.

btw, what does PAL stands for?

PapayaDad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by PapayaDad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:20 am

bigfoot wrote:
beanstalk wrote:What is this 'PAL' subject?

My son's timetable has a legend explaining the different acronyms, eg MA = Maths, EN = English. But for PAL, it is PAL = PAL! :shrug:

Regarding the recess system, I think the 'quality' of the P5 Buddy they get varies. I hear of buddies who chope seats and buy food for their charges and others who only play with the P1 boy. My son's P5 buddy lets my son take the lead! He buys what my son buys (even if it's only a drink) and sits with him to finish the drink/food. Aiyo.
PAL = Programme for Active Learning
Link from MOE:
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2010/ ... values.php

My DS enjoyed PAL lessons last year.

. :)

Cassmania
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Cassmania » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Mummies,

I would like to put my boy in Maris Stella, could you kindly advise the environment & teachers of this school?

emdad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by emdad » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:27 am

Cassmania wrote:Hi Mummies,

I would like to put my boy in Maris Stella, could you kindly advise the environment & teachers of this school?

Hmmm ... your question is a bit wide. Would help if you could let us know any specific areas you'd like to know so that the dads and moms here can help (I assume no "aunties"/helpers write in this forum).

My boy is studying there. So far he has been enjoying school (except the waking up early). He has made friends, and can even identify which are the naughtier ones to avoid.

Not much school homework, not sure if that's good or bad to you. But my boy attends enrichment which keeps him "entertained". That said, he has spelling (English & Chinese) almost on a weekly basis, and there's also test in some weeks. I think its good, helps to gauge progress. Not too difficult since seemed like most kids score well above 90% (except for the careless mistakes which is common across all kids).

Personally, I think if your kid can cope and enjoys learning, do consider sending him/her/them for enrichment. There are different types for different kids. Our primary goals is to keep their minds engaged and "learn various learning" methods, exposed to various types of questions, gets to mingle with friends beyond school, etc.

I've been advised that P1 is the "settling in" period, and real work only comes later. So do take this opportunity to instil routines as part and parcel of discipline. This will save you lots of screaming and shouting.

I have no complaints with my boy's teachers. His co-/form teachers give regular updates via email and they respond fast too.

Overall, it all depends on us/parent's attitudes towards education, the school (including teachers) and our children. Don't get worked up over little things, let the boys be exposed to the environment. Always be behind them (and not in front), give them a little push and a little tug. It is after all a big environment with many kids of wide ranging characters/personality/abilities and family background. Give each some room to grow. The school is not always full of fun/joy/happiness, there will be "bad" days (kids at that age tends to blow up matters; so as parents you should help to "downsize" them). Listen to them, but more importantly teach them how to handle situations/their own emotions (not to handle them on their behalf).

I was watching the cartoon, 孙悟空, with my kids last weekend and in it there was this part where the monkey was blaming his 师兄 over some matters. His 师父 had this reminder - "Every time you point a finger at someone/something, there's always 3 fingers pointing at yourself, and 1 finger pointing elsewhere." What a timely reminder!

Cassmania
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Cassmania » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:31 am

Is there any school care/ student care in Maris Stella Pri?

mytinyfeet
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mytinyfeet » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:06 pm

PapayaDad wrote:Quite safe last year 47 ppl ballots for 36 places. (btw 1-2km). Within 1km all in.
hi, does that mean that Catholics living >2Km has no chance to ballot at all?