Naval Base Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.

Naval Base Primary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:56 pm

This is the Parents' Support Group for Naval Base Primary

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Naval Base Primary

Postby ShinTutor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Is there any parents or students of this school currently in the forum? :)

ShinTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby newchicmom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi, I'm thinking of sending my boy to Naval Base. Any comments about the school? What's the focus there - academic or CCA? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

newchicmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ShinTutor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 pm

newchicmom wrote:Hi, I'm thinking of sending my boy to Naval Base. Any comments about the school? What's the focus there - academic or CCA? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

The school niche area is in golf whereby they have achieve great success. Although they are in a neighborhood, their results have seen gradual improvement slowly but surely. They base their culture on a caring environment thus students are allowed to thrive in an environment whereby their social emotional needs are met. Nevertheless they do have quite a lot of foreign talents if you know what i mean so basically it is still the parents' choice.

ShinTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby newchicmom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 am

ShinTutor wrote:
newchicmom wrote:Hi, I'm thinking of sending my boy to Naval Base. Any comments about the school? What's the focus there - academic or CCA? Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

The school niche area is in golf whereby they have achieve great success. Although they are in a neighborhood, their results have seen gradual improvement slowly but surely. They base their culture on a caring environment thus students are allowed to thrive in an environment whereby their social emotional needs are met. Nevertheless they do have quite a lot of foreign talents if you know what i mean so basically it is still the parents' choice.

Hi,
I realised that this school has the lowest enrolment and application for P1 registration last year. Is your kid there? I'm really wondering if I should give up a confirm place in Nan Hua, which is very far, to put my boy at Naval Base. Everyone is dying to go into Nan Hua but yet I'm giving up that place for an unknown neighbourhood school. Very few parents from Naval Base seem to be on this forum :(

newchicmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mitr_sg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Why not check out from the school website and pay a visit to the school.

I am not visiting different schools to see if it is a choice for my daughter.

mitr_sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ShinTutor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:29 pm

newchicmom wrote:Hi,
I realised that this school has the lowest enrolment and application for P1 registration last year. Is your kid there? I'm really wondering if I should give up a confirm place in Nan Hua, which is very far, to put my boy at Naval Base. Everyone is dying to go into Nan Hua but yet I'm giving up that place for an unknown neighbourhood school. Very few parents from Naval Base seem to be on this forum :(

Well, it has the lowest enrolment rate and application is more or less due to the fact that Yishun is a really mature estate with available schools outnumbering the numbers of P1 kids and the fact that there is Chong Fu and Northland in the premises where they are known for their academic achievements thus the competition. I can only say I am quite well informed about 1 or 2 schools there. A choice is hard to make for a parent with the culture of what Singaporeans have developed. If i have a son in the neighborhood school and one in the top school, there are tendency of parents to feel more proud saying the latter. I am sure as a parent you will either choose for the best but one thing for sure is academic success if to be made, there will need to have sacrifices such as distance and travelling time for example.

Naval base has glowing reviews in the north zone recently and just won silver for their virgin entry for their SYF Band trained under just 1 year.

They might not be able to achieve their potential could be due to the fact of the applications and the sort of reputation developed by other schools. Imagine top schools accepting more students, their chances of getting "smarter" ones will increase as well, thus the chance for a top student.
I will strongly recommend parents to find out more about a few schools first before committing into one. There might be needs that your child might want such as in sports or artistic development as well and not just academic.

ShinTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby newchicmom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks, appreciate your reply :) Yes, I feel the same way about more popular school getting more brighter kids bec of higher applicants and enrollment. After considering all factors, traveling time, cost and practical logistics issues, I've decided to place my boy in Naval Base and to give him all the necessary support so that he can have an enjoyable childhood and yet scoring high grades in all subjects. I will coach him personally in EMS but will have to place him in a good Chinese Tuition class unless I can find a good Chinese tutor to do small group tuition.

I will go and take the Bus 811 to check out the school this afternoon with my boy. Then we will decide whether we can walk there since its 2 bus stops away or my mom will have to send n fetch him daily.

I've spent a lot of time in my studies which has ended and now, it's time I start to focus on my boy's holistic learning. Hope to make the next 6 years an enjoyable and fruitful time for my boy. Once he goes to Sec school, it's beyond my scope of assistance, except to get him tutors if he needs additional help.

Parents with kids at Naval Base, hope to know more about the school from all of you :) Thanks!

newchicmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ShinTutor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:23 pm

There will be an open house soon in Naval Base Primary i think.
Anyway I am just glad to be of some help
For Chinese improvement, it is important to start with 听说 part for him. Make your child interested in cartoons or books for example before allowing him to stretch his vocab in chinese :)

ShinTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mitr_sg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:22 pm

ShinTutor wrote:There will be an open house soon in Naval Base Primary i think.
Anyway I am just glad to be of some help
For Chinese improvement, it is important to start with 听说 part for him. Make your child interested in cartoons or books for example before allowing him to stretch his vocab in chinese :)

Hi, ShinTutor

That is great, I would like to know the exact date of the open house.

For Navel base, frankly speaking, I have heard of negative comments. As my friends worked in tution centre previously. She has seen many kids from Navel base is not doing so well for both Math and English. That makes me worried. My home is within 1 km from navel base.

May I know more about the school in terms of profile of kids, teacher's support and interaction with parents, school CCA? I have to say there are two things I am looking for when it comes school of choice: 1) The profile of peers 2) The teachers.

Hope to hear from you soon.

mitr_sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups