Alexandra Primary

There's nothing quite like being able to discuss issues and network with other parents with children in the same school as yours. Individual Schools' Official Parent Support Groups are welcome to come in and help out the incoming groups of parents.
xlan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Alexandra Primary

Post by xlan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:15 am

I'm so glad and thankful to be balloted in, and join in the FB group, thanks double e! Looking forward to receive the official letter, looking forward to the Admin day & orientation, looking forward to buy new uniforms n shoes! Oh yes black shoes! No more hardwork washing white canvas shoes like I used to do in my younger days.. lol!

troychua79
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by troychua79 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 am

xlan wrote:I'm so glad and thankful to be balloted in, and join in the FB group, thanks double e! Looking forward to receive the official letter, looking forward to the Admin day & orientation, looking forward to buy new uniforms n shoes! Oh yes black shoes! No more hardwork washing white canvas shoes like I used to do in my younger days.. lol!
:congrats:

xlan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by xlan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:56 am

Thank you! Now waiting eagerly for any official letter :lol:

troychua79
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by troychua79 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:03 pm

I register in 2B, still waiting for the letter from ALPS. Anyways the orientation is on 21 Nov.

lonerunner
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by lonerunner » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Welcome to ALPS family! :)

xlan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by xlan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Got the letter alr! then realise admin day's date n time are diff for each one, I thought it would be a 1 day same time for everyone lol

MummyOfEs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by MummyOfEs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi parents, does anyone has any idea on the itinerary during orientation day on 21 Nov? Will the kids be shown around the school by the teachers eg canteen, washroom? I had also wanted to speak personally to the school bus company, but I understand they won't be around on that day.

jonasjive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jonasjive » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi All, just discovered this group! I have 2 boys. 1 will be in P3 n other will be in P1 in 2017! I have nothing but praises for the teaching staffs who are juggling so many things for the kids! It's amazing how they keep up! :)

jonasjive
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jonasjive » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:19 pm

MummyOfEs wrote:Hi parents, does anyone has any idea on the itinerary during orientation day on 21 Nov? Will the kids be shown around the school by the teachers eg canteen, washroom? I had also wanted to speak personally to the school bus company, but I understand they won't be around on that day.
Hi MommyOfEs,

Sorry I can't help much on Orientation Day as my Wife went for it. However, there aren't many things that you would need to worry about as all P1 students will be assigned mentors (P2&P3 students). My advise is just to let ur child free once he / she enters the school premise. I'm sure everything will fall in place. As for the school bus company, you could give them a call to enquire on your preferred routes / timing. Yes, they may be busy at times but you could try to ring them a few times throughout the day. Good luck! :cool:

lonerunner
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by lonerunner » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Hello MommyOfEs,

Dont worry - your child will be well taken care of by teachers/buddies. The orientation and logistics were quite efficient and well thought out.

If I didnt remember incorrectly, this was what happened on orientation day last year:
Parents and child will first head towards the indoor parade ground where the registration booth was.
We were informed of the class that our child has been allocated to. A name tag was provided and our child awaited with rest of the classmates sorted by class until teachers shown them to their classrooms.

Parents proceeded to the school hall where a comprehensive briefing was provided by the principals and teachers on what to expect for P1, the P1 teachers of the classes, how to support our child for the new environment, the list of stuff to bring for initial school days, what to wear on 1st day of school, recess timings, etc etc.

In their classroom, the teachers did some introduction, played some icebreaking games to let the children to know each other, washroom area etc etc.

The school bus company had setup an enquiry booth at assembly area near the room where parents could purchase the textbooks but I find it easier to contact the bus coordinator for direct enquiries. The bus coordinator was quite slow in getting back to parents on the pickup timing/point and the return bus route number/dropoff timing last year.

On the first few days of school, Gan Eng Seng Secondary students came over to help out the new P1 in the initial 2 days (I think) - how to queue for food, how to order food, how to make payment etc. Then P2 buddies will help P1s from 3rd day onwards. Recess was 45min for initial week.

Parents proceeded to school hall for "orientation" as well, before proceeding to canteen and catch the children having 1st recess. I remembered seeing crowds of anxious parents trying to peep over each others' head to try catch a view and take photos of their children having 1st recess in school. :) It was a relief when I finally spotted my child seated at bench, and having a great time chatting with new friends.

GESS buddies were very detailed. They walked the children to the washrooms and back to the canteen so that the little ones dont get lost.

Hope this helps!