Xinmin Secondary School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
enne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Xinmin Secondary School

Post by enne » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm

TheMOEGuru wrote:
enne wrote:hello all,
the 2019 timetable is out
would like to find out what is PRIDE in the timetable suppose to be doing. anyone can advise please?
Thanks in advance

Hi enne,

Sorry for the late reply! As stated in your question, PRIDE refers to "Personal Responsibility In Daily Effort". It is a slot scheduled during the recess time of all XMS school timetables. PRIDE was set up to help the obese students exercise more frequently and thus reducing the risk of future lifelong health issues, such as high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure. Selected students for PRIDE are expected to turn up for physical activities to help them control their eating habits.

Thanks!
Thanks a lot!!

TheMOEGuru
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by TheMOEGuru » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm

My Experience with Xinmin Secondary School

Hello all! Today, I am sharing my experience while working in Xinmin Secondary School, better known off as XMS. Here, I've experienced many ups and downs in the school, from Teaching and Learning (T&L), to non-academic sections.

In general, XMS gave me a lasting impression; I've made many memorable bonds here, had lots of good friends, got to know many helpful teachers and also appreciating the long Chinese background culture the school possesses.

XMS focuses a lot on Co-curricular Activities (CCAs).
Students leave school late at 7 or 8 in the evenings, and after reaching home for a quick shower and dinner, they barely have any energy left to do work. That explains why I have problems collecting completed homework after the day of CCA :/. Most students do say that their CCAs helped them a lot in their daily life, so we shall see!

Discipline in XMS is reasonably strict.
Students know it themselves, do it unobtrusively or get caught. I will like to point out the issue of phone usage as it has been a problem the discipline team is facing for many years. The policy of mobile phone usage has changed over the years. I remembered last few years, phones are only allowed in the canteen during recess times, or other parts of the school after 4.20pm, which is the latest ending time for timetabled lessons. Apart from that, phones will be confiscated. Recently, the policy was changed to "phones only allowed in the canteen during recess and after timetabled lessons". This means that phones can be used once the kids end their lessons for the day around the school. It is indeed more lenient, but I find it reasonable. Apart from that, generally there are not many major discipline issues. However there will be a case of bullying once in a long while...

Many Places to Self-study Here.
There are many study corners around the school for students to form study groups and consult one another, finishing their academic rigor etc. In 2016, students feed-backed that the study corners are too hot in the afternoons as the sun will shine directly on the tables, and the Principal then, Mrs Ong Hong Peng, initiated the installation of fans around these corners. This does help the students to study in a more conducive environment. To facilitate the graduating students (Secondary 4s and 5s) better, their classrooms are equipped with air conditioning. However, they are only allowed to switch on after 1240 hours (used to be from 1140 hours) and must be switched off at 1630 hours as stated, although the main switch for the air conditioners are left on until 1730 hours to facilitate extra lessons by teachers. Graduating students generally spend their time in their classrooms after school studying for their national examinations, the GCE-O Level or N Level for the Normal streams.

Caring Community, Satisfied Students
Another commendable point I have to give XMS is that most of the teachers here are caring. I do see students consulting their teachers outside the staff rooms to clarify their doubts, and of course, teachers do help willingly! Of course I have to say, if you are a student planning for a consultation session with your subject teacher, please be punctual! Some students don't turn up after making an appointment, haha! Students are generally hardworking, they know that their national examinations ahead of them are important for their future career choices. Although O and N Levels are just a small part of their lives, I would say, but they do take them seriously! That's also why I enjoy teaching graduating classes :-).

However, there are many negative aspects I have faced in the school as well.

There is only ONE SCHOOL GATE, the main gate.
Getting to school is indeed a hassle, so get here early and not be late (I will talk about the latecoming issue below.)! There is only one school gate where students pass by everyday, located in the heart of the cluster of HDB blocks in the vicinity. However, there is another electronic gate, probably 20 metres away from the main gate, for students to exit the school after their CCAs which end at 8pm. By that time the main gate is locked. This electronic gate only allows students to exit, but for entry it is for XMS staff and alumni (access card holders) only.

Rude Staff
Some of the working staff here are rude. This include teachers, and the General Office staff. To prevent yourself from being a victim of rudeness, do not be foolish. Some people here cannot take jokes.

Poor Management
The school's management is... I don't know what to say. In the past, a room was set up for students to relax after a long day of schooling, also known as Student Recreational Room (SRR). It was meant for the best-behaved class to use in a weekly selection basis. A little vivid about this as it was a few years ago. In late 2015 to early 2016, the room was shut down and out of bounds to students. Upon my inspection, I realised that it turned into a temporary store room (???) where trophies and medals are kept in there! Currently it is messy and there are cardboard boxes lying everywhere... Oh and for the latecoming issue; every morning, Operations Manager (OM) John will be sitting at the bench at the foyer waiting for latecomers to walk in. It was definitely a scary experience for many students as OM is a fierce guy. Even me, I got scolded before for no good reason? Most of the cleaners and Operations Staff Officers (OSOs) have bad temper because of OM. I understand where they are coming from as they do not want to get a scolding from OM, but please, be polite at least. Recently one of them resigned from service and I asked him why, he said that he was tired with the management and hopes for a better change, hence resigning to terminate his service with XMS. Teachers do get scolded too if things are not done correctly...

Busy Departments
Many of the teachers joke with me about their life working in XMS, saying that they work like 'dogs'. Seriously, many activities packed for different events the school has. XMS is transforming to a more aesthetically oriented school, and many activities are planned to achieve the aim. For example, the Performing Arts CCAs (Chinese Dance, MLDDS, Guzheng, Opera, Drama, Choir and Symphonic Band, etc.) put up performances named Xinthesis / Melizo / Xinfony in 2018. Some of which were meant for the beneficiaries to enjoy, but CCAs sell tickets to the school population to earn money. Every ticket was S$10 I remember. Yes, to the students and general public, it was indeed a splendid performance put up. To me and my crew behind the scenes, one word to describe - shag. Many administrative work and logistical works must be done for all these to be in place. A CL teacher even shared with me, "A CL teacher from another school can earn the same pay as me, but I do more work than them!" As of now, the plans for these performances have been declined so as to free up more time for teachers. However, new activities start to come in, such as XinminCares. XinminCares stands for "Xinmin Community Actions to Rally with Empathy to Serve". It is an activity organised by the CCE department in line for "Spring it Up! (SIU)", whereby students go around the neighbourhood to collect newspapers and there will be a bin collection stored in school. Of course these old newspapers make a lot of money for the school burh, but for the past few years, SIU was held only before the CNY holidays. This year, it will be held on a freaking Saturday! (WHATT??)

Overall, XMS is really a decent school with many facilities, but they do get locked up often!

If you are a parent hoping to enroll your child into XMS, do let them consider their choices themselves. It's their choice after all, don't force them! If you are a teacher being posted to XMS, good luck to you.

Thank you all for reading this. Feel free to comment and ask questions!

Yours truly,
TheMOEGuru
Last edited by TheMOEGuru on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Post by ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Holy molly, I can't make out if you are trying to promote or badmouth Xinmin, so you must be a real student giving feedback for your school! :laugh: Well done. Your school must have left an impression on you... :hugs:

enne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by enne » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:30 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Holy molly, I can't make out if you are trying to promote or badmouth Xinmin, so you must be a real student giving feedback for your school! :laugh: Well done. Your school must have left an impression on you... :hugs:
hahaha this one i do agree

pettyflora
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by pettyflora » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi Parents,
Trying to select DSA schools for my DD, could you help to rank the following schools?
Xinmin Secondary School
Zhonghua Secondary School
Chung Cheng high yushun

mei0831
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Xinmin Secondary School

Post by mei0831 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 am

Does anyone have any feedback on Xinmin Secondary School? How is the environment there?
Do they have both Express & Normal stream ?? What are their points ?? Is it very far from MRT station ??

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by zac's mum » Thu May 09, 2019 8:54 am

mei0831 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 am
Does anyone have any feedback on Xinmin Secondary School? How is the environment there?
Do they have both Express & Normal stream ?? What are their points ?? Is it very far from MRT station ??
The attached pics will answer your latter questions. Yes it is far from Hougang MRT. See if you have a direct bus from your home, that may be better.

DatBoi27
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by DatBoi27 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:27 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 pm
Holy molly, I can't make out if you are trying to promote or badmouth Xinmin, so you must be a real student giving feedback for your school! :laugh: Well done. Your school must have left an impression on you... :hugs:
I can't help but agree though. Xinmin's teachers are honestly one-of-a-kind and possibly the school's best asset. I cannot understate how much they have made an impact on me both academically and as a person. I think if I got teachers that were a bit less concerned about their students and a bit more willing to disregard misbehaving ones I would have ended up in a far worse situation. To say that some of them have the patience of a saint would not be doing them justice.

Though I can't say the same about the management of the school, at least from the perspective of a student. At times it appeared that they seemed to value an implement-first and consider-later approach to decision-making. I had tried at times to look for the train of thought behind some decisions taken only to find out that it was still boarding at the station. I believe entire generations of graduates have been and will be haunted by the debacle that were the acrylic fruitchips.

But from what I hear about the new principal I definitely have high hopes for the future of Xinmin.