Dunman High School [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
patlsy79
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: Dunman High School [*IP]

Post by patlsy79 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:39 pm

phtthp wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 am
today is Friday (12 July 19), anyone attending Band or String Orchestra DSA audition, today ?

heard that some contestants come well equipped with high qualifications, for (Piano / other String instruments)
Just finished ours 430pm, very fast as they just asked how long have you been playing, never ask what Grade are you at etc.. Spoke to one of the student in Band who helping the teachers outside bandroom. Was told that actually the cca doesnt require any music background. So it doesnt matter if you are high qualification or not. However the chance of getting in quite competitive. Heard only 3 out of 20 (shorlisted) will get CO.

wannabe relax mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by wannabe relax mum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 pm

myrick88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 am
How was the selection test for Maths and Sci yesterday? What do they test on?
For Maths, the kids are required to solve a maths problem using computing. I think there are 3 parts to that computing question. Another questions is on problem solving on waste management. They are given some graphs to support their arguments. As for Science, it is a 40 questions MCQ and a group project to work on a boat using masking tapes, straw etc. The kids are required to talk about why they chose what they choose.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:125

Post by phtthp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Last year (2018), how many DSA students did Dunman High take in, under STEM domain (category) ?

wannabe relax mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by wannabe relax mum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm

@myrick88, when is your kid going for his session? I remember you tried rescheduling?

myrick88
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by myrick88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:02 pm

wannabe relax mum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm
@myrick88, when is your kid going for his session? I remember you tried rescheduling?
Hi, i suppose no chance of rescheduling as no news so far. They mentioned they got overwhelming applications. So maybe we will be the backup. Lol

wannabe relax mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by wannabe relax mum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:34 pm

myrick88 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:02 pm
wannabe relax mum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm
Hi, i suppose no chance of rescheduling as no news so far. They mentioned they got overwhelming applications. So maybe we will be the backup. Lol
I think there were about 60-70 pax turning up for the science/maths. About 18 of them are doing both. I think.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:125

Post by phtthp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 pm

wannabe relax mum wrote:
I think there were about 60-70 pax turning up for the science/maths. About 18 of them are doing both. I think.
out of these 60-70 short-listed for Science / Maths domain, did they say taking in how many DSA candidates this year (2019) ?

wannabe relax mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by wannabe relax mum » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:37 am

phtthp wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 pm
wannabe relax mum wrote:
out of these 60-70 short-listed for Science / Maths domain, did they say taking in how many DSA candidates this year (2019) ?
I didn’t go for the DSA briefing then. So I don’t know. By right, is there a fixed number?

myrick88
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by myrick88 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:06 pm

wannabe relax mum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 pm
myrick88 wrote:
For Maths, the kids are required to solve a maths problem using computing. I think there are 3 parts to that computing question. Another questions is on problem solving on waste management. They are given some graphs to support their arguments. As for Science, it is a 40 questions MCQ and a group project to work on a boat using masking tapes, straw etc. The kids are required to talk about why they chose what they choose.
This seems challenging...does your kid know how to do?

Maths or Science is more easier?

For VS, it's a group of 6 students being interviewed by a panel of 6 (principal/VP/HOD etc)

wannabe relax mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by wannabe relax mum » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 pm

myrick88 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:06 pm
wannabe relax mum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 pm
myrick88 wrote:
This seems challenging...does your kid know how to do?

Maths or Science is more easier?

For VS, it's a group of 6 students being interviewed by a panel of 6 (principal/VP/HOD etc)
He thinks that science is easier. There was no interview that day for DHS. The two papers plus hands on took them 3.5 hours.