Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
Luxedream
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:10

Re: Raffles Institution (Year 1-4)

Post by Luxedream » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 pm

sweetbaby wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:03 pm
Luxedream wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am
ngl2010 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 am
Luxedream,

Don't worry so much about HMT. It is not that difficult. DS didn't take HMT in primary school but he did ok for HMT.
Thank you for the encouragement. But DS didn’t qualify for HMT under MOE’s benchmark. According to the RI HOD, we will need to submit an appeal and it will be considered on a case by case basis. We are still undecided whether or not to appeal...

Truth is DS’s PSLE score is way below COP. We are concerned if HMT will add too much to the workload. On the other hand, having to take MT in Year 5 is a huge pain...
Which one your boy wants? HMTL or MTL? If he wants HMTL, why not try and appeal. If he cant cope can always switch. I wont worry so much about the Tscore. Its just one exam.
DS wanted to take HCL for the sole reason of getting it done and over with in 4 years. And he is also worried about being ostracised for being the only few who do not take HCL. (Which is why I’m trying to find out how small is this “minority” who takes CL.)

I have concerns about him taking HCL because firstly, he has never taken HCL before, and it took me 6 long years to help him overcome his fear and hatred for Chinese. From 50s at P1 to 80s at P6, the improvements did not come easy. I would hate to see him plunge into borderline pass/fail, and hate Chinese all over again.

And most of all, I want him to enjoy his teenage years in RI. No stress and no remedial classes if possible. Yes, having to take Chinese for an extra year is painful, but at least he will be learning at a more comfortable pace. No rush, the ultimate finishing line is the same.
Last edited by Luxedream on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Post by phtthp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi Luxedream, I had pm u

dunma
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by dunma » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Luxedream wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 pm
DS wanted to take HCL for the sole reason of getting it done and over with in 4 years. And he is also worried about being ostracised for being the only few who do not take HCL. (Which is why I’m trying to find out how small is this “minority” who takes CL.)

I have concerns about him taking HCL because firstly, he has never taken HCL before, and it took me 6 long years to help him overcome his fear and hatred for Chinese. From 50s at P1 to 80s at P6, the improvements did not come easy. I would hate to see him plunge into borderline pass/fail, and hate Chinese all over again.

And most of all, I want him to enjoy his teenage years in RI. No stress and no remedial classes if possible. Yes, having to take Chinese for an extra year is painful, but at least he will be learning at a more comfortable pace. No rush, the ultimate finishing line is the same.
The number of students taking CL in Y1-2 is around 15-20 per level.

You said your son’s psle score is way below cop. I guess your son DSAed by sports? If so, he needs to have training at least 3 times per week. It’s really tough. So you should focus on keeping him in IP, not only hcl.

sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:17

Post by sweetbaby » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Luxedream wrote:
sweetbaby wrote:
Luxedream wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am

Thank you for the encouragement. But DS didn’t qualify for HMT under MOE’s benchmark. According to the RI HOD, we will need to submit an appeal and it will be considered on a case by case basis. We are still undecided whether or not to appeal...

Truth is DS’s PSLE score is way below COP. We are concerned if HMT will add too much to the workload. On the other hand, having to take MT in Year 5 is a huge pain...
Which one your boy wants? HMTL or MTL? If he wants HMTL, why not try and appeal. If he cant cope can always switch. I wont worry so much about the Tscore. Its just one exam.

I think its ok to take MTL, tell him not to worry what others think. Two of my boy's classmates, also DSAed to RI thru sports. They didn't take HMTL in primary school. Although they qualified, they are not planning to take HMTL. Another boy who DSAed thru maths, is planning to take MTL too. There'll be boys who don't take HMTL. Even those who have taken HMTL in primary may struggle as mentioned by the teacher. My boy only made it thru HMTL due to grit, hard work and some angry tears. He outperformed himself by sheer luck. I foresee some struggles next year. I pray and hope for the best. Hopefully, RI will be able to instil love for the language in my boy.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by iRabbit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 am

sweetbaby wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 pm
Luxedream wrote:
sweetbaby wrote:

I think its ok to take MTL, tell him not to worry what others think. Two of my boy's classmates, also DSAed to RI thru sports. They didn't take HMTL in primary school. Although they qualified, they are not planning to take HMTL. Another boy who DSAed thru maths, is planning to take MTL too. There'll be boys who don't take HMTL. Even those who have taken HMTL in primary may struggle as mentioned by the teacher. My boy only made it thru HMTL due to grit, hard work and some angry tears. He outperformed himself by sheer luck. I foresee some struggles next year. I pray and hope for the best. Hopefully, RI will be able to instil love for the language in my boy.
My boy’s personal experience taking HTML (specifically HCL) in RI has been positive. He took HCL in PSLE, got his Dist but never really liked the subject despite being in a SAP sch. He doesn’t dislike it though - his attitude is more like ”I’m studying to get my A, nothing more.”

Then earlier this yr he requested for subscription to zaobao and my jaw dropped. I mean he doesn’t even read the ST so for him to request for zaobao is nothing short of amazing - really must thank his HCL teacher for inspiring him somehow. Now in upper sec, HCL is still his weakest subject but I can live with that as I can see the effort being made.

Anyway I was told that RI’s HCL O level track record has been good, with majority scoring Dist. This despite Gapsem in Y4 sem 2. There is an established system in place and the teachers are able to guide majority of the students to do well for it.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:106

Post by jtoh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

I actually think Gapsem helps in the students doing well in HCL at O levels. My understanding is that the students still return for Chinese classes during gapsem and because there's just the one subject to study for, they can focus on it. The prep notes for HCL are also very comprehensive. And yes, RI has a v good record for students doing well for HCL.

Luxedream
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Luxedream » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 am

:lovesite:
Thank you everyone for your valuable sharing, DS and I are humbled by all your kindness and encouragements. We have decided NOT to appeal for HCL, and let DS handle Chinese at a more comfortable pace.
Please correct me if I'm wrong: For this route, DS will take O level CL at the end of Y4, followed by A level H1 CL at the end of Y5.
dunma wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm
You said your son’s psle score is way below cop. I guess your son DSAed by sports? If so, he needs to have training at least 3 times per week. It’s really tough. So you should focus on keeping him in IP, not only hcl.
Yes, DS entered via DSA Sports. Since primary school, he is already training 3-5 sessions per week, so the intensity of the CCA is not a concern. It is the jump from 4 to 7 subjects that we hope he will be able to handle and not fall behind in the class. With HCL no longer posing as a challenge, he can now focus on other subjects, and hopefully have no problem remaining in IP.

sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:17

Post by sweetbaby » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 pm

iRabbit wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 am
sweetbaby wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 pm
Luxedream wrote:

My boy’s personal experience taking HTML (specifically HCL) in RI has been positive. He took HCL in PSLE, got his Dist but never really liked the subject despite being in a SAP sch. He doesn’t dislike it though - his attitude is more like ”I’m studying to get my A, nothing more.”

Then earlier this yr he requested for subscription to zaobao and my jaw dropped. I mean he doesn’t even read the ST so for him to request for zaobao is nothing short of amazing - really must thank his HCL teacher for inspiring him somehow. Now in upper sec, HCL is still his weakest subject but I can live with that as I can see the effort being made.

Anyway I was told that RI’s HCL O level track record has been good, with majority scoring Dist. This despite Gapsem in Y4 sem 2. There is an established system in place and the teachers are able to guide majority of the students to do well for it.
iRabbit,

Thanks for sharing. I'm heartened to hear such good outcomes. My boy is exactly the same. I don't understand how he scored that high without liking the subject. Barely read any of the books, comics or additional resources we bought for him. Now PSLE is over, even worse, don't even use it. Is it a big jump? From PSLE HCL to Year 1 HCL?

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by iRabbit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 pm

sweetbaby wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 pm
iRabbit,

Thanks for sharing. I'm heartened to hear such good outcomes. My boy is exactly the same. I don't understand how he scored that high without liking the subject. Barely read any of the books, comics or additional resources we bought for him. Now PSLE is over, even worse, don't even use it. Is it a big jump? From PSLE HCL to Year 1 HCL?
My boy’s HCL grade dropped by a fair bit in Y1. So I would think that sec sch HCL is harder and quite a big jump from pri level. Don’t think those ‘good phases’ they memorized for PSLE essays are applicable too. I mean one can use them, but they are not gg to earn extra marks. I suppose sec sch HCL essays are more about maturity of thought, logical flow of storyline, rather than extravagant use of flowery phases.

I believe reading Chinese papers is quite beneficial to one’s grade, so I would encourage all students to do so. RI publishes a book on model essays called 鹰的天空 annually. Those are really good. One look and you can straightaway tell the differences in expectation between pri and sec level HCL model essays.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by iRabbit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 pm

jtoh wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am
I actually think Gapsem helps in the students doing well in HCL at O levels. My understanding is that the students still return for Chinese classes during gapsem and because there's just the one subject to study for, they can focus on it. The prep notes for HCL are also very comprehensive. And yes, RI has a v good record for students doing well for HCL.
I didn’t think of it that way. But now that you mentioned it, it seems logical Gapsem helps in the HCL O level prep by allowing the students to focus on a single subject. Yes, except for those on overseas attachments, or those with local attachments that clash with lesson timings, the rest do report back to sch for HCL lessons during Gapsem.