Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
pandabear88
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by pandabear88 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:00 am

My child is joining the MGS O Levels program. I would like to find out more about the Sophia Blackmore Academy in particular - how many classes are there, is it subject based e.g. humanities, Maths & Science or covering all subjects, what is the cut off point & promotion criteria..... Appreciate any insights into this beyond what is available on the MGS website?

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by emoh » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:32 am

pandabear88 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:00 am
My child is joining the MGS O Levels program. I would like to find out more about the Sophia Blackmore Academy in particular - how many classes are there, is it subject based e.g. humanities, Maths & Science or covering all subjects, what is the cut off point & promotion criteria..... Appreciate any insights into this beyond what is available on the MGS website?
https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... e#p1885888

CowMooMoo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by CowMooMoo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:38 am

pandabear88 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:00 am
hi, i know you were redirected but i'll post my answer here in direct response to your query

I was in the SBA at MGS (now IP) and there are usually 3 classes for SBA, but based on 2018's intake there happened to be only two (1I and 1E), one for Math and Sciences and the other for Languages (as long as you get an A* for said area, your child will be automatically posted to one of the SBA classes). Usually, there'll be three SBA classes (1E, 1I and 1O), one for both areas and one more for all-rounders; people who got A* for at least one subject in both areas and is in the O Level program will be in said class). Cut-off point for SBA is 250, if she was previously from MGS Primary but 255 for non-affiliated. Assuming she is already in MGS, promotion criteria is that she must pass Language Arts as a subject whole for end-of-year overall grade and get an overall pass for all subjects. Regarding lessons, depending on your class, for example if you are SBA Math and Science there will be a different math book the students get to use, same as IP students (if you're not in said class you are still free to purchase it for additional revision), emphasis is mostly spread out equally but if you are in the SBA *blank* subject-oriented classes only slightly a bit more, but other than that, that's about it. SBA students also get to take one additional non-examinable compulsory subject called Philosophy, Thinking, and Knowledge (PTK) which the IP girls take, and will be beneficial to your child if she is planning to pursue the IP route in Y3 or going to ACSI after the O' Levels in Sec 4.

I do hope your girl will enjoy her time at MGS and her Orientation, because I had a hand in planning some of the games, haha ^^

fucheen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Methodist Girls' School (Secondary)

Post by fucheen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Hello CowMooMoo,

My daughter had a fabulous time at her orientation this year. Thanks for a well planned orientation.

momocha
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by momocha » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

For parents whose DD is in MGS, can anyone share more about their swimming CCA? How many do they take in for the CCA per cohort? How is their training schedule like? Thanks in advance.

kboon2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kboon2009 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi are there religious sessions incorporated into the school hours and can non Christians opt out? What do these kids do during the sessions? Thanks.

MaMa Mon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by MaMa Mon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:57 pm

Hi 👋, we intend to try DSA Music to get a place in MGS, does anyone know how is the Aural test and Written Test going to be like? Thank you!