Nanyang Girls' High School [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
kboon2009
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Nanyang Girls' High School [*IP]

Post by kboon2009 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:13 am

Hi parents. I see on NYGH website that girls who enter via DSA academic domain are given many opportunities to be included in talent development programs. Does it mean that girls who enter via PSLE have less chances? Would be interested to hear from parents whose Dd enter via PSLE. Thanks for sharing.

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:22

Post by Zappy » Fri May 15, 2020 8:03 am

kboon2009 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:13 am
Hi parents. I see on NYGH website that girls who enter via DSA academic domain are given many opportunities to be included in talent development programs. Does it mean that girls who enter via PSLE have less chances? Would be interested to hear from parents whose Dd enter via PSLE. Thanks for sharing.
When a program is available, the students will receive notifications to apply. For certain programs, selected students (sometimes it's the DSA students for that particular subject, sometimes it's the teacher-nominated students) will have to apply or attend the interview/ selection tests. But the programs are mostly open to all other interested students to apply as well.

Usually, it's the other way around - there are so many programs that you will have to pick and choose which ones you want to attend due to the time commitments. There's no way you can actually participate in every single domain or program, especially when school is in full flow with CCAs, projects, etc.

winnieng78
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by winnieng78 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:07 am

May I know if anyone is able to share more on innovation domain pls? Can experience with gep IvP be counted please?
Thank you so much

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by Imp75 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 am

Zappy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:03 am
kboon2009 wrote:
When a program is available, the students will receive notifications to apply. For certain programs, selected students (sometimes it's the DSA students for that particular subject, sometimes it's the teacher-nominated students) will have to apply or attend the interview/ selection tests. But the programs are mostly open to all other interested students to apply as well.

Usually, it's the other way around - there are so many programs that you will have to pick and choose which ones you want to attend due to the time commitments. There's no way you can actually participate in every single domain or program, especially when school is in full flow with CCAs, projects, etc.
To add on, for the humanities maths and sci talent devt prgm at sec 2, it's by merit and tchrs recommendations. You could be nominated for more than 1 but sch will limit to 1 max due to time commitment.

Swc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:33

Post by Swc » Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Imp75 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 am
Zappy wrote:
kboon2009 wrote:

To add on, for the humanities maths and sci talent devt prgm at sec 2, it's by merit and tchrs recommendations. You could be nominated for more than 1 but sch will limit to 1 max due to time commitment.
Based on my DD's experience, it is compulsory for DSA students to sit for the selection tests for their respective domains' related special programmes. But non DSA students will also be nominated by teachers if they meet the requirements. However, all students will have a choice of whether they want to take up the special programme.

LeeTaiTai
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by LeeTaiTai » Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 am

Swc wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 pm
Imp75 wrote:
Zappy wrote:

Based on my DD's experience, it is compulsory for DSA students to sit for the selection tests for their respective domains' related special programmes. But non DSA students will also be nominated by teachers if they meet the requirements. However, all students will have a choice of whether they want to take up the special programme.
May I know when does this Sec2 selection happens? After their final year exam?

Swc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Swc » Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 am

LeeTaiTai wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 am
Swc wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 pm
Imp75 wrote:

May I know when does this Sec2 selection happens? After their final year exam?
Most take place in term 1 of their secondary 2 year. One or two year end of sec 1. But definitely after year end exam.

LeeTaiTai
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by LeeTaiTai » Sat May 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks swc. I am wondering but not sure if this question has been asked before. Do you guys still do through your teens homework or do you leave it to them to study on their own totally? Are your teens disciplined and independent enough at this stage to be on their own?

Swc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Swc » Sat May 23, 2020 5:22 pm

LeeTaiTai wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:28 pm
Thanks swc. I am wondering but not sure if this question has been asked before. Do you guys still do through your teens homework or do you leave it to them to study on their own totally? Are your teens disciplined and independent enough at this stage to be on their own?
When she was in yr 1, especially first semester, I do get involved a bit more. But I do not "go through" her work, more to give advise on time management and notes making. Given the big jump from 4 to 6 core subjects and a few other non-core, I wanted to make sure she did not feel overwhelmed in the beginning. In addition, there were new subjects, no textbooks, no tuitions, I also had to guide her on how to learn independently and encourage her to approach her teachers for questions.

I got less involved in the second semester except when it came to EOY. There was a pretty big shock as to her, what she had been doing in class did not seem to be directly connected to what she would be tested in exams. So my role was more to help her make the connection and help her calm down. Now she is in yr 2, I am happy to say that she is now entirely on her own.

LeeTaiTai
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by LeeTaiTai » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks swc... i feel the same about the syllabus ..what is taught in school in their notes is different from what is tested..i was wondering if that is norm in IP school.. everything via notes..she told me textbook is useless so makes me wonder why they bought it. Hopefully they get used to the system.. everything seems so grey... i am getting used to it too. Just not sure where to help her she if she needs help. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate the sharing.