St Joseph's Institution International

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

St Joseph's Institution International

Postby LOLMum » Mon May 17, 2010 5:55 pm

hi,

does anyone has any comments about this school? any information is much appreciated.

cheers

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: St Joseph's Institution International

Postby 24by7mum » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:34 pm

LOLMum wrote:hi,

does anyone has any comments about this school? any information is much appreciated.

cheers

My friend's kids attend and she said that most of the kids are rich and spoilt. A few hardworking ones. Mainly the scholars.

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:39 am

SJI International, HCI International ....

if I may say honestly but it sounds quite harsh, some parents may not agree with me : those international schools are for those who could NOT get in to SJI or HCI based on DSA / PSLE t-scores.

They are charge fees based on international school standard, around S$1k per month

Doubt they can transfer to the actual SJI or HCI. The international schools are offering the IB diploma, if not mistaken

Other parents who are better informed, please clarify
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby minnie2004 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:30 am

I know someone who sends her daughter to SJI Int'l kindergarten, and she seems very happy there. At least she gets to learn native English and mandarin as most language teachers are native speakers.

I also visited the school (primary session) and saw mostly caucasian kids. Locals are only allowed in the secondary session. However, according to the school, there's also a minimum PSLE level that the locals have to achieve before getting accepted to the secondary session, heard it's not too low at around 240, if i'm not mistaken.

As for the fees, it's around 20k a year, slightly cheaper than the more extablished int'l schools such as SAS and UWC.

minnie2004
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mamatay » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:08 pm

My son has been asked to apply for the SJI schoarship that leads to Year 5/6 in SJI Intenational. The school has been very kind to sent / call us on the follow up when we did not sent in the applicatiom. Reason: Cut off for the scholarship is 250 -260 which is not a eay score to achieve and with these score, most would prefer to go to IP

mamatay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:49 pm

the PSLE cut off point for SJI for the last 4 years ranged from 241 to 244, based on MOE data
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ycpang » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 pm

mamatay wrote:My son has been asked to apply for the SJI schoarship that leads to Year 5/6 in SJI Intenational. The school has been very kind to sent / call us on the follow up when we did not sent in the applicatiom. Reason: Cut off for the scholarship is 250 -260 which is not a eay score to achieve and with these score, most would prefer to go to IP

I think the scholarship is for SJI, not SJI International. All the so call "international" schools such as SJII, HCIS, ACIS are usually less competitive in term of academic.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:07 am

ycpang wrote:
mamatay wrote:My son has been asked to apply for the SJI schoarship that leads to Year 5/6 in SJI Intenational. The school has been very kind to sent / call us on the follow up when we did not sent in the applicatiom. Reason: Cut off for the scholarship is 250 -260 which is not a eay score to achieve and with these score, most would prefer to go to IP

I think the scholarship is for SJI, not SJI International. All the so call "international" schools such as SJII, HCIS, ACIS are usually less competitive in term of academic.

I think so too.

Those going into the "international" schools are on FM Scholarship
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ycpang » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:04 am

Visited SJI's website. The scholarship is offered by both SJI(year 1 to 4) and SJI International (year 5 & 6). I guess what happen is SJI failed to obtain IP status from MOE but they are not giving up. Can see that they are trying very hard to attract top PSLE students with higher T score to join them, so that they can get enough "bullets" to appeal to MOE at later stage for IP status. Since SJI can't offer 6 years program which is subject to MOE approval, they offer the year 5 and 6 at SJI International. International schools are not under MOE and they do not need approvals from MOE.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24by7mum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:06 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
ycpang wrote:

I think so too.

Those going into the "international" schools are on FM Scholarship

Yes correct or Father's employer scholarship! :) Not serious in learning except for the scholars.

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups