CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby OngMum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:16 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby 24by7mum » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:18 pm

OngMum wrote:Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!


Mygood friend's daughter attends that school. What do you need to know? I can find out for you.

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby OngMum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

24by7mum wrote:
OngMum wrote:Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!


Mygood friend's daughter attends that school. What do you need to know? I can find out for you.


Thank you for the offer, 24by7mum. :D
I managed to get some inputs from a friend lately.

OngMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:16 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby 24by7mum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:55 pm

OngMum wrote:
24by7mum wrote:
OngMum wrote:Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!


Mygood friend's daughter attends that school. What do you need to know? I can find out for you.


Thank you for the offer, 24by7mum. :D
I managed to get some inputs from a friend lately.


No problem. Let me know if you need any more information! 8)

24by7mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:07 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby Quintessential Mum » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:45 pm

OngMum wrote:Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!

Cheers!


Hi there! It may be too late for you but for the benefit of others out there, please let me tell you about CHIJ TP Sec. If you have another choice, please do not choose this school. The CHIJ TP Primary school is alright but the Sec school is extremely frightful. Let me elaborate:
Teachers - Majority of them do not know what they are teaching. Case in point, there is a physics teacher - HOD of Physics who is quite clueless so most of the students will need to attend tuition to right the wrongs that she has imparted to the students. Quite a number of them are all talk but no action. There is a Chem and Add Maths teacher that are a cut above the rest - a rare find. The better teachers usually leave or get transferred out. I could go on but i am sure that you get the picture.
School environment - Not conducive. There was a case of vandalism where the students actually came back in the night to vandalise the statues and school property! Mind you this is an all girls school! Action taken - none just tell them not to do it again! In the real world, vandals, such as Michael Fay for example are caned and incarcerated!
The students can also be seen in toa payoh/orchard/libraries in their school uniform parading with their boyfriends!
Educational Standard - Low as majority of the students are those who could not make it to other Sec schools so they are fed into the school. If you are a high achiever, you will not be challenged in terms of curriculum and teachers!
Mission School - I seriously doubt the missionary/religious element here as it is a hotbed for favoritism, backstabbing amongst staff and students alike.

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Quintessential Mum wrote:
OngMum wrote:Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!


Hi there! It may be too late for you but for the benefit of others out there, please let me tell you about CHIJ TP Sec. If you have another choice, please do not choose this school. The CHIJ TP Primary school is alright but the Sec school is extremely frightful. Let me elaborate:
The students can also be seen in toa payoh/orchard/libraries in their school uniform parading with their boyfriends!
Educational Standard - Low as majority of the students are those who could not make it to other Sec schools so they are fed into the school. If you are a high achiever, you will not be challenged in terms of curriculum and teachers!
Mission School - I seriously doubt the missionary/religious element here as it is a hotbed for favoritism, backstabbing amongst staff and students alike.


I was formerly from CHIJ TP primary and secondary. My idea of choosing CHIJ TP primary for my daughter is bcos of the affiliated sec school, but I'm aware of the poor moral standard in the sec school. During my time, I had a principal who is very nice to rich and intelligent students...esp those parents who have high profile jobs. Average students like me do not stand a place in this principal's eyes. She greets those students warmly but not us.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33757
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby Quintessential Mum » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:17 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
Quintessential Mum wrote:
OngMum wrote:Hi there,

Any parents here who have daughters in CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary? Appreciate if you can share the experiences/feedback here. Thanks a lot!


Hi there! It may be too late for you but for the benefit of others out there, please let me tell you about CHIJ TP Sec. If you have another choice, please do not choose this school. The CHIJ TP Primary school is alright but the Sec school is extremely frightful. Let me elaborate:
The students can also be seen in toa payoh/orchard/libraries in their school uniform parading with their boyfriends!
Educational Standard - Low as majority of the students are those who could not make it to other Sec schools so they are fed into the school. If you are a high achiever, you will not be challenged in terms of curriculum and teachers!
Mission School - I seriously doubt the missionary/religious element here as it is a hotbed for favoritism, backstabbing amongst staff and students alike.


I was formerly from CHIJ TP primary and secondary. My idea of choosing CHIJ TP primary for my daughter is bcos of the affiliated sec school, but I'm aware of the poor moral standard in the sec school. During my time, I had a principal who is very nice to rich and intelligent students...esp those parents who have high profile jobs. Average students like me do not stand a place in this principal's eyes. She greets those students warmly but not us.


Yes i had the same thoughts. In CHIJ primary before the new prinicipal, it was the same with Mrs B - lots of favoritism too. Now at CHIJ Sec it is the same in terms of principal and standards when you were in school my dear. It seems to be stuck in a time warp - no progress, no moving forward, same sub standard teaching but in a more violent and fearful environment. A couple of years ago, there were students caught using drugs on the school premises - it came out in the newspaper! So much for a mission school that seems to have lost its way! I regret persuading my daughter to go there even though she qualified for much better schools! I thought that the religious/moral support would be good for character building but was i sadly mistaken. The school seems oblivious to its many very obvious inadequacies! It is amazing! Its motto should be strive to do less and be less that you can be!!

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: CHIJ Toa Payoh Secondary

Postby Tinkerbelle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Quintessential Mum wrote:

School environment - Not conducive. There was a case of vandalism where the students actually came back in the night to vandalise the statues and school property! Mind you this is an all girls school! Action taken - none just tell them not to do it again! In the real world, vandals, such as Michael Fay for example are caned and incarcerated!
The students can also be seen in toa payoh/orchard/libraries in their school uniform parading with their boyfriends!

Mission School - I seriously doubt the missionary/religious element here as it is a hotbed for favoritism, backstabbing amongst staff and students alike.


Quintessential Mum wrote:
Yes i had the same thoughts. In CHIJ primary before the new prinicipal, it was the same with Mrs B - lots of favoritism too. Now at CHIJ Sec it is the same in terms of principal and standards when you were in school my dear. It seems to be stuck in a time warp - no progress, no moving forward, same sub standard teaching but in a more violent and fearful environment. A couple of years ago, there were students caught using drugs on the school premises - it came out in the newspaper! So much for a mission school that seems to have lost its way! I regret persuading my daughter to go there even though she qualified for much better schools! I thought that the religious/moral support would be good for character building but was i sadly mistaken. The school seems oblivious to its many very obvious inadequacies! It is amazing! Its motto should be strive to do less and be less that you can be!!


Oh dear!!! Drugs, vandalism. :!: What ever happened to nice decent mission sch girls???
What a shame when so many parents transfer their DDs to CHIJ TP in primary sch just to get them into the affiliated sec sch..

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2432
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:14 pm
Total Likes: 0


School

Postby janet88 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:22 pm

I felt so proud to be wearing the IJ uniform...was bent on getting daughter into IJ TP next yr. Now that you mentioned IJ Sec having disciplinary problems, I recall those unhappy years in the sec side. Lousy principal and low standards. Someone told me recently that a girl was smooching a boy in the nearby HDB block and when advised not to do so, girl told that person off. This is making me rather worried. :cry: Oh yes, not to mention the number of times the girls look like they are wearing 'maternity dresses' after school (missing belt).

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 33757
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 111


Re: School

Postby ssll » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:50 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:I felt so proud to be wearing the IJ uniform...was bent on getting daughter into IJ TP next yr. Now that you mentioned IJ Sec having disciplinary problems, I recall those unhappy years in the sec side. Lousy principal and low standards. Someone told me recently that a girl was smooching a boy in the nearby HDB block and when advised not to do so, girl told that person off. This is making me rather worried. :cry: Oh yes, not to mention the number of times the girls look like they are wearing 'maternity dresses' after school (missing belt).


Oh dear , was thinking of that school as a choice , but feedback very negative ? , anything positive about them ??? CHIJ's schools used to be quite good , what happen ????

ssll
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups