National Junior College [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:31

Re: National Junior College [*IP]

Post by mommyNg » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 pm

Go to school wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:02 pm
mommyNg wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:54 am
I can’t remember exactly how long, maybe 1-2 weeks? I think, if the trial/audition was around mid-July, then the interview was in early August. Notification was about one week before the interview date.
Just received the NJC Interview notification (CO), what and how to prepare ? WIll it be group interview or 1to 1?
:congrats: For the past 2-3 years, it has been 1 student to a panel of 4-5 interviewers. Not sure if they would change this year.

All the best and good luck! :rahrah:

hpsbpt
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by hpsbpt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi
My DD also received NJC interview notification. Any parents whose children already attended interview based on performance arts/sports, kindly share the info. thank you so much in advance

rgds

Jennifer79
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Jennifer79 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am

hpsbpt wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm
Hi
My DD also received NJC interview notification. Any parents whose children already attended interview based on performance arts/sports, kindly share the info. thank you so much in advance

rgds
:congrats:
When is your DD going for the interview?

hpsbpt
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by hpsbpt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am

Jennifer79 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am
hpsbpt wrote:
Hi

rgds
Hi, Thanks. Her interview is on 16 Aug Friday evening.

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Dear parents,
Excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked before. In this case, do kindly point me to the correct page / thread to read.

May I know please - why is NJC A levels standard not as high as before. In my old old days when I was in JC, if you mention someone goes to NJC, it was like - wah... so great. I don't have facts to substantiate this thinking back then.
But I understand NJC L1R5 for 2018 is 8? and for 2017 it was 6? My humble apology - please correct me if I am wrong.

However I also look at things from a broader view. Sometimes, academic results is not the be all and end all. In fact I have even heard a person spoke before, and this person has sat on scholarship panels, that sometimes they do not pick the top scorers - because sometimes the EQ of top scorers are not as high ..

thank you in advance to point me in the right thinking!

Jennifer79
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by Jennifer79 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:31 am

hpsbpt wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am
Jennifer79 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am
hpsbpt wrote:
Hi

rgds
Hi, Thanks. Her interview is on 16 Aug Friday evening.
hpsbpt,

My child got strange questions from the Math HOD:

1. Can I ask you a question?
2. Who is the fiercest here?
3. The one is the extreme left is the fiercest right?
4. Tell me something about yourself.
5. Do you have tuition?
6.Which schools do you apply?
7. What CCA would you like to join (when you are selected)?
8. Any other questions?

Strangely, my child said the Math HOD asked more on her CCA and Math questions than the rest of the STEAM.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:31

Post by mommyNg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 am

bluepencil wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 pm
Dear parents,
Excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked before. In this case, do kindly point me to the correct page / thread to read.

May I know please - why is NJC A levels standard not as high as before. In my old old days when I was in JC, if you mention someone goes to NJC, it was like - wah... so great. I don't have facts to substantiate this thinking back then.
But I understand NJC L1R5 for 2018 is 8? and for 2017 it was 6? My humble apology - please correct me if I am wrong.

However I also look at things from a broader view. Sometimes, academic results is not the be all and end all. In fact I have even heard a person spoke before, and this person has sat on scholarship panels, that sometimes they do not pick the top scorers - because sometimes the EQ of top scorers are not as high ..

The current NJC P has been emphasising values and character development over pure academic pursuits since he took over the leadership of the school, especially if you have heard his speeches before. Maybe that’s why?

I agree with you that academic results are not the be all and end all. The ability to empathise and work with people (EQ) is much more important than just pure intellect.

As for the DSA questions that Jennifer79 shared, it seems like the interview panel is trying to assess the character of the students or at least some indication of it? E.g., how do you define fierce, do you judge people by their looks, why did the person look fierce, how would you handle someone who “looked” fierce, etc. etc. ? Maybe some of the students found the fierce question a bit too intimidating for them to handle?

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Thank you Mommyng for the reply.

I agree with you. I am just worried for my child , bright but who tends to be a bit complacent, and maybe in njc, does not feel pressure to study or maybe get too caught up in projects, or sports cca.

I still feel that ultimately a child's social development and EQ is still more important
Unless you are after top scholarships, then stellar results is a must.

thanks

bluepencil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bluepencil » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:46 pm

and just being a bit extreme, what if my child yak and yak chit chat during boarding term, use hand phone non stop ...

I need some kiasu kids who mugged non stop to make her worry about studying ! lol

hpsbpt
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by hpsbpt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm

mommyNg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 am
bluepencil wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 pm
Dear parents,

The current NJC P has been emphasising values and character development over pure academic pursuits since he took over the leadership of the school, especially if you have heard his speeches before. Maybe that’s why?

I agree with you that academic results are not the be all and end all. The ability to empathise and work with people (EQ) is much more important than just pure intellect.

As for the DSA questions that Jennifer79 shared, it seems like the interview panel is trying to assess the character of the students or at least some indication of it? E.g., how do you define fierce, do you judge people by their looks, why did the person look fierce, how would you handle someone who “looked” fierce, etc. etc. ? Maybe some of the students found the fierce question a bit too intimidating for them to handle?
Hi, My DD's interview is over and she said it was fun. Vice principal and one more teacher was there and they were making it very light. Just general questions on which schools applied, why NJC etc... Thanks