Ang Mo Kio Secondary School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Ang Mo Kio Secondary School

Postby jacz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Anyone has children from this school and what's your feedback?
Thinking that my son (score of 230) should opt this school as his top choice as they have been very strong academically and very consistent too.
Seems like AMKSS (COP 217, achieved band 4 in 2010) is a better choice than Presbyterian (COP 229, band 5) or Chung Cheng Yishun (COP 230, band 6)

Please do offer your views.
Thank you!

jacz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nerdguy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi jacz,

I graduated in amk sec quite sometime ago. AMKSS provided a very condusive environment back then for me for studying and learning. It also focuses on all-round development of individual. My year the cut off point was 230+. The average L1R5 was 13+ which is quite an achievement for a neighbourhood school. I myself had a L1R5 of 10.

In terms of academic,when the ranking of secondary school was still in placed, AMKSS was best ranked 18th in the whole singapore (bear in mind that integrated programme schools were ranked together as well) and was named the best non-automous government school for quite a few years.

Teachers are friendly and the environment is less-stressful than any other schools. I myself did not regret going to ang mo kio. I had a fruitful and wonderful 4 years in the school. We played and study at the same time.

nerdguy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jacz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:42 pm

nerdguy wrote:Hi jacz,

I graduated in amk sec quite sometime ago. AMKSS provided a very condusive environment back then for me for studying and learning. It also focuses on all-round development of individual. My year the cut off point was 230+. The average L1R5 was 13+ which is quite an achievement for a neighbourhood school. I myself had a L1R5 of 10.

In terms of academic,when the ranking of secondary school was still in placed, AMKSS was best ranked 18th in the whole singapore (bear in mind that integrated programme schools were ranked together as well) and was named the best non-automous government school for quite a few years.

Teachers are friendly and the environment is less-stressful than any other schools. I myself did not regret going to ang mo kio. I had a fruitful and wonderful 4 years in the school. We played and study at the same time.

Hi, thanks so much for your feedback.
Yes, I have no doubts about AMKSS at all.
Now considering between AMKSS and PH.... difficult choice.

jacz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nerdguy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:54 pm

no worries. I wish your child all the best in his academic studies. :)

nerdguy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Ang Mo Kio Secondary School

Postby Mamo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Would appreciate if someone can feedback on this sch. Thanks.

Mamo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Openminded Mom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 am

Just saw this thread when looking for HOD number to call my son's teacher. My daughter is now in JC2. She graduated from AMKSS. My son is in Sec 4, also in AMKSS. When my hubby and I first posted our daughter to AMKSS based on her PSLE result (232), we didn't know much about the school, just heard from colleague it is a good school in the Ang Mo Kio negiobourhood and it is near to our house. No regrets. We were impressed by the number of activites the school organized, esp during the June and Dec holidays, and their famed NOMAD (biannual song and dance night in June).

When it was our son's turn, hubby and I went to a few open houses, not as impressive as AMKSS'. Hubby decided to put son there (his score 243). I can see my son progressing socially and academically; the teachers are caring and sincere, the disciplinary teachers very strict. It is much more obvious to see the teachers' nurturing attitude in my son's case than daughter's as he was involved in spates of fights in Sec 1. I'm glad my kids went to AMKSS, and will strongly recommend it to others.

Openminded Mom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby underthesea » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:31 pm

My son is Sec2 this year. He is not very happy with the school this year, always come back with a lot of complaints about his teachers. He hates his Arts teacher (in face the whole class hated her)!

Personally, I don't really find the teachers are caring, not much communication between teacher-parents except the annual PTC. My son's result is average, may be that's the reason. He is neither here nor there, therefore not much attention given.

underthesea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TTLauPeh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 am

underthesea wrote:My son is Sec2 this year. He is not very happy with the school this year, always come back with a lot of complaints about his teachers. He hates his Arts teacher (in face the whole class hated her)!

Personally, I don't really find the teachers are caring, not much communication between teacher-parents except the annual PTC. My son's result is average, may be that's the reason. He is neither here nor there, therefore not much attention given.

Oh! That woman! HOD, right? Serious menopausal nutcase. Make students redo, rework, reshape their artwork to her very specific requirements, call parents to bitch about their kids. The other teachers know she's a problem but don't do anything about it other than make sympathetic noises to parents.

Yes, school-parent communication is pretty weak. Always get forms, etc at the last minute. Heard the new principal doesn't even speak at assembly.

TTLauPeh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby galgal » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 am

Any parent with kids study sec 1 this year? My Ds is in AMKSS sec 1.

galgal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chernme » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Any feedback for this school compare with Chung Cheng High (Yishun)?

chernme
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups