Assumption English School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Assumption English School

Postby tankee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:55 am

This is the Parents' Networking Group for Assumption English School.

Once you have gotten your child in this school, come introduce yourself to other parents in this school and network with each other. Share tips, on-going news and alerts and discuss issues pertaining to the school.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Assumption English School

Postby BraisedPorkBelly » Thu May 14, 2015 10:54 am

Hi, does anyone have ds or dd in this school? Appreciate if you can share some info positive and negative about it.

We are considering this as it's pretty near our home, however my husband is quite against the idea as it is near to boys town and he is concerned with possible negative influence. Thanks!

BraisedPorkBelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed May 20, 2015 7:49 pm

BraisedPorkBelly wrote:Hi, does anyone have ds or dd in this school? Appreciate if you can share some info positive and negative about it.

We are considering this as it's pretty near our home, however my husband is quite against the idea as it is near to boys town and he is concerned with possible negative influence. Thanks!

The school site at Upper Bt Timah has been undergoing major upgrading and has been operating at the holding site along Commonwealth Road.

I just checked the school website- due to return in Dec 2015 to the original site.

I used to live around Cashew Road. Can't say I like what I saw. I think it will take a very strong child not to be bullied and to be very disciplined not to give in to peer influence.

That said, I have also seen well mannered students from this school.

Fajar Sec is another similar case.

Have you considered West Spring?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Un-Kiasu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Jennifer wrote:
BraisedPorkBelly wrote:Hi, does anyone have ds or dd in this school? Appreciate if you can share some info positive and negative about it.

The school site at Upper Bt Timah has been undergoing major upgrading and has been operating at the holding site along Commonwealth Road.

I just checked the school website- due to return in Dec 2015 to the original site.

I used to live around Cashew Road. Can't say I like what I saw. I think it will take a very strong child not to be bullied and to be very disciplined not to give in to peer influence.

That said, I have also seen well mannered students from this school.

Fajar Sec is another similar case.

Have you considered West Spring?

I'll like to differ your outlook of my school, Ms. Jennifer. I've been in AES for a few weeks as a secondary 1 student. As for the "influence" you're speaking of, I'm assuming you mean the use of vulgarities, technology or basically Americanization. If you are referring to this, I assure you this can never come under "influence" anymore, it's already an attribute of this generation.

Sure, I may not have much experience in this school, but I surely have more data than you do. I agree, I have seen quite a number rebellions here and there but I'm sure there are this group of people in every school in Singapore. Ha, I can even say I was quite worried for awhile but the rules of this school is so strict, I doubted so!

Teachers here takes every child's words under consideration and even appoints two teachers for harder subjects like Mathematics to assure that students can understand better, be it their speed of understanding or their view of the subject.

Back to my earlier statement, the rebellions/"bullies" should be taken care of unless your child mixes around with them. It's part of teenage life, educate your child enough to prevent them for making the wrong decisions in their social life. I cried on my first day of school in front of of the entire student body and staffs, but I was never bullied. Student councilors assisted me, teachers took care of me, my classmates showed concern now and then and the others simply minded their own business, unlike bullies who would probably start harassing me, which I was quite surprised about this outcome because like you, I used to believe this school had a bad environment, with an all-technical school and a all-boys school close to my school's radius.

As for Boy's Town, there's not a problem at all. Students of AES has almost no chance of meeting them unless they break the school's rule (the school prevents students from crossing to other institutions unless with school's permission).

Un-Kiasu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BraisedPorkBelly » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks for your replies!

To Jennifer,
Yes will be considering West Spring & Zhenghua depending on DD results. I understand that they have shifted back to the old location as the upgrade has been completed, thus it is only 1 or 2 bus stops away.

To Un-kiasu,
I agree with you that all schools has their fair share of vulgarities & bullying (even in good schools). Would appreciate if you can share more info (pros and cons) about being a student there.

And also...
How is the homework load for express stream?
How is the class environment? is it conducive for learning/studying? Are the students rowdy or disruptive during lessons such that teachers need to spend lots of time scolding/controlling the class instead of teaching?
Are bullying severe/rampant in school? My DD isnt very sociable thus she got picked on quite a bit during primary school by both girls & boys.
What time does class ends on normal days & on CCA days?

Thanks!

BraisedPorkBelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Like I have said in my earlier post, I mentioned I have also seen well mannered students from the school.

I believe you have overlooked this sentence in my earlier post.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Un-Kiasu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Jennifer wrote:Like I have said in my earlier post, I mentioned I have also seen well mannered students from the school.

I believe you have overlooked this sentence in my earlier post.

Sorry if I had sounded too defensive, but since I've been in your perspective before, I thought I'll share what I've experienced thereafter.

BraisedPorkBelly wrote:Thanks for your replies!

To Jennifer,
Yes will be considering West Spring & Zhenghua depending on DD results. I understand that they have shifted back to the old location as the upgrade has been completed, thus it is only 1 or 2 bus stops away.

To Un-kiasu,
I agree with you that all schools has their fair share of vulgarities & bullying (even in good schools). Would appreciate if you can share more info (pros and cons) about being a student there.

And also...
How is the class environment? is it conducive for learning/studying? Are the students rowdy or disruptive during lessons such that teachers need to spend lots of time scolding/controlling the class instead of teaching?
Are bullying severe/rampant in school? My DD isnt very sociable thus she got picked on quite a bit during primary school by both girls & boys.

Thanks!

Be it advantages or disadvantages, it actually really depends on the teacher. I have yet to hear of any unreasonable teachers so far.

I'm not from the express stream, but at least from what I've seen, they don't look pressured so I'm assuming they don't have intense homework load. By the way, the school appoints a "peer buddy" in every class. If the homework load does exceed, the Peer Buddy would alert the staffs.
There are times where my classmates intervenes unnecessarily, however most of the intervention actually improves the class, since jokes are often the intervention made and even the teachers would laugh along. Teachers here doesn't tolerate rowdy behavior. If things such as students intervening too much for no good reasons and unwanted behavior is shown, expect to see them being scolded in one corner of the room while the rest would indulge themselves with their given work.
Definitely nothing near severe. The principal had made a lot of speeches against bullying and the teachers/staffs has made it clear that bullying will never be tolerated. I'm not sociable as well, but so far I was never picked on with the exceptions of being called "loner" a couple of times, but I don't feel that much offended, even in this age I'm still trying to learn how to socialize without coming off as desperate or rude.
In general, class ends in 2.30 p.m. Unless you child is Catholic, your daughter should be released in 12.30 p.m. in Fridays. CCA day are on Tuesdays, unless the specific CCA requires more sessions. CCA takes 4 hours only, regardless how many sessions are there. Hence, your child should be released in 5.30 p.m. on Tuesdays.

I hope this is helpful.

Un-Kiasu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby BraisedPorkBelly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks Un-Kiasu for the reply. It is very informative and helpful :thankyou:

BraisedPorkBelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups