Crescent Girls' School

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Crescent Girls' School

Post by DadOfGirl » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:35 am

belle_116 wrote:Hi everyone,
My DS is in P6 now. I would like to know how is the environment and culture of CGS, teachers and values the school impart? Is it highly competitive in academic pursuits? How does the school support students who are weaker in terms of academics? Care to share the pros and cons of the school?
CGS is 'All' Girls school. No place for Boys. :smile:
For benefit of Other parents, it's probably best school for 'Girls' living in West.
- It is know for strict rules & enforce it with demerit points.
- Quality of teachers for both science & humanities subjects
-Tablet PC program( funded by Info comm) which will make you ready for corporate world earlier. E-mails , e-books
- Sec1 & Sec 2 will be tough, there are strict criteria for taking A maths & Triple science.
- Music Elective program is in running for 5 years.
- Quite good CCA achievements at National levels
- Consideed value-add Schol (from PSLE score to O- level score )
- Strong Alumina... Creates life long belonging to school.
- Most importantly , it will help create Independent individual. Learns to take responsibility of their action.

Flip side.

- No affliation, so bonus point for JC admission doesn't exist.
-No IP program( It is strength actually.,, that make it focus on O level cohort)
- School building is old . Hopefully , it will not move to holding site in near futhure

Hope it helps,

happy fish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by happy fish » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Congrats to the Lower Secondary Girls who won 2nd runners up for the Inter-school Sudoku competition. Cheers!

belle_116
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by belle_116 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:
My DS is in P6 now. I would like to know how is the environment and culture of CGS, teachers and values the school impart? Is it highly competitive in academic pursuits? How does the school support students who are weaker in terms of academics? Care to share the pros and cons of the school?
For benefit of Other parents, it's probably best school for 'Girls' living in West.
-Tablet PC program( funded by Info comm) which will make you ready for corporate world earlier. E-mails , e-books
- Sec1 & Sec 2 will be tough, there are strict criteria for taking A maths & Triple science.
- Most importantly , it will help create Independent individual. Learns to take responsibility of their action.

Flip side.

-No IP program( It is strength actually.,, that make it focus on O level cohort)
- School building is old . Hopefully , it will not move to holding site in near futhure

Hope it helps,
Thanks for sharing... Yes, I'm asking for my dd, some typo there :smile:

In terms of discipline and dermis points, could you elaborate please? Is your child in the MEP?

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by DadOfGirl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:28 am

belle_116 wrote:
DadOfGirl wrote:

Flip side.

Hope it helps,
Thanks for sharing... Yes, I'm asking for my dd, some typo there :smile:

In terms of discipline and dermis points, could you elaborate please? Is your child in the MEP?
Nope.. Not in MEP. There is system of awarding demerit points... Nail polish is not allowed.. Mobile phone cannot use during school hrs.. cannot be late beyond 7.20... & ofcourse related to home work submission. Every quarter , it should not exceed beyond specified limit & if it does, parents would be notified.
Also, they would tell student at the end of Sec3 whether you will survive upper secondary , but such cases are for only those entered thro' DSA & not academically inclined. I dun think they chase out any students, but school work is demanding & you have to keep up to it. Sec 2 streaming will have three types of classes.
2 -class with triple science-some of them with 9 subjects
1- class with Physics & chem- 8 subjects
3 -Class with Bio Chem- 8 Subjects

Hope it helps,

Haneyi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Haneyi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:
Nope.. Not in MEP. There is system of awarding demerit points... Nail polish is not allowed.. Mobile phone cannot use during school hrs.. cannot be late beyond 7.20... & ofcourse related to home work submission. Every quarter , it should not exceed beyond specified limit & if it does, parents would be notified.
Also, they would tell student at the end of Sec3 whether you will survive upper secondary , but such cases are for only those entered thro' DSA & not academically inclined. I dun think they chase out any students, but school work is demanding & you have to keep up to it. Sec 2 streaming will have three types of classes.
2 -class with triple science-some of them with 9 subjects
1- class with Physics & chem- 8 subjects
3 -Class with Bio Chem- 8 Subjects

Hope it helps,
Hello,

I am a student studying in CGS and just to clarify, the use of mobile phones is allowed during school hours due to the recent change of school rules this year. Now, you can also use your phones anywhere, instead of just the foyer and canteen in the past. However, mobile phones are not to be used inappropriately, eg. during lessons, assemblies etc.

Thank you. :)

Infinia88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Infinia88 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi. Can any kind CGS parents whose gals r taking sch bus in the morning, please share the sch bus operator contacts with me? Nd to put my sec 1 gal temporarily on sch bus in the morning for about 1 month :) Thanks!

Techmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Techmummy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi
Can anyone elaborate about Double Science and triple Science
My daughter in Sec 1 . If the aim is to take medicine what subject combinations
must take?
How far the preparations from Sec 1 must be?
Can anyone enlighten us in this regard?
Thanks in Advance.

K-Mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:2

Post by K-Mum » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:42 am

Techmummy wrote:Hi
must take?
Thanks in Advance.
There will be briefings for sec 2 parents on subject comb. If u are interested, u can download the latest briefing slides from the crescent website. It is on the home page.
Sec one - no need prep.

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by DadOfGirl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:32 am

Techmummy wrote:Hi
must take?
Thanks in Advance.
Chem is complusory. If you are doing 8 Subjects & taking two humanity subject, you have to drop Physics & Biology. You don't need biology are O level/A-level to do Medicine. Physics & chem will do. But if you are sure to take Medicine , you may want to keep Biology are both o & A levels.
Best is to keep triple science at o level , then decide whether you want todo PCME( Physics, chem, maths , econs) at A levels or BCME ( Biology ....)ar A level.

Once you drop physics at A level, door closes on engineering .

Sec1, just develope interest in various subjects they teach, Home E, Arts, Science & see what excites you.

Hope it helps,

Techmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Techmummy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:05 pm

@ Dad of Girl and Kmum
Thanks a lot for the answer. :lovesite: