School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by Ender » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Someone at SST working overtime. Must be some Kiasuparents been calling them up continuosly, parents like my wife.. :evil:

Congratulation to all who receive the CO. :rahrah:

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by Jarol Lo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 am

Last night was a big joy, this morning had an aggressive debate among my son, my wife and myself. My wife strongly like to him to RVHS that we recevied the CO 2 days ago. My son insist to go SST.

RVHS advantage is that it is conventional school and IP programme, no O level required and has good learning environment, especially Chinese culture.

SSt advantage is it uses applied learning approach, more projects, experiments, interrection with seniors from NTU and Poly. It emphasis a lot on science and technologies that my son is interest in. He dream to go for environment science or weapon technology.

My wife concern is what to do after SST? It doesn't cover too much of other conventional subjects such as social science, history......which RVHS offers. What if his foundation is not strong enough for JC? We've no intention for him to go poly as it is not so easy to go University after that but JC has better window. Of course my wife also thinking of face issue. RVHS is a reputable school so its really a waste to give it up for SST which has little track record of success.

So how? I'm quite neutral, respect my son's decision. Ultimately he has to decide his own future. I hope he can success of whatever he career direction he wish to go, but can't break the bearer of what my wife concerned whcih I also shared her feeling.

Welcome any input from all parents.

Thank you

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by shurley197323 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:25 am

I had read some RVHS posts, Chinese culture is really strong.Do your son like Chinese? If he don't mind those Chinese culture, of course, maybe RV will be the easier path.

Serenelee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Serenelee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:26 am

Frankling speaking, as a mother, I would want him to go RVHS too. Same thought as your wife BUT if suay suay kid somehow cannot cope/ do well in RVHS, wonder if he'll think back and blame mummy or not. :shrug:

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Ender » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:53 am

After the CO, next concern is the logistic. Anyone students from SST stay in Seng Kang? What's the best way to travel to SST by public transport? What time do you usually reach home after CCA?

Form gothere.sg, estimate time is 61 mins via NE line to Serangoon. Circle Line to Buona Vista, the the EW line to Dover.

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Jarol Lo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:00 am

Thank you Shurley and Serene for your input. Chinese culture is no problem for him. He is doing HMT is so far is manageable. However, he love more on science and maths, particularly he likes automation, cars......He is doing robotics as CCA now, told me RVHS is quite low profile in robitics whilst SST is very strong which participate almost all the competitions in S'pore and international.

I've no problem let him go SST, and in fact I very much love their teaching programme also. My only concern is, will he has difficulties coping with JC studies after SST.

RVHS is of course a very good choice, strong in languages, IP programme, well reputated, strong Chinese culture environment. But to a boy with strong passion on science and technologies, it doesn't seems to be too attractive to him.

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Jarol Lo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:05 am

Jarol Lo wrote:Thank you Shurley and Serene for your input. Chinese culture is no problem for him. He is doing HMT is so far is manageable. However, he love more on science and maths, particularly he likes automation, cars......He is doing robotics as CCA now, told me RVHS is quite low profile in robitics whilst SST is very strong which participate almost all the competitions in S'pore and international.

I've no problem let him go SST, and in fact I very much love their teaching programme also. My only concern is, will he has difficulties coping with JC studies after SST.

RVHS is of course a very good choice, strong in languages, IP programme, well reputated, strong Chinese culture environment. But to a boy with strong passion on science and technologies, it doesn't seems to be too attractive to him.
Having said that, may I know what make you and your kids applied for SST? Maybe this is something can convince me and my wife to go for it.

Thank you

Go for it
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Go for it » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 am

Actually, I'm also wondering what's so special about SST that makes so many DC want to go study there.

My DS shared that his teacher talked to them about biotechnology and he finds it very interesting. SST has biotechnology.

I was thinking of meeting up with his science teacher after PSLE to hear her thoughts about my DS taking up this offer.

We also applied NUSH and NJC but didn't make it. So if we don't accept this CO, he will have to depend on T Score. So we're putting off making a decision until after PSLE. By then, he should have some idea how he did for the exams and can decide whether to go for it or to take a XXXXX for T Score.

Such big decisions for a 12 yr old to make.

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by shurley197323 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Any existing students or parents can advise me how is the higher chinese in SST ? Still need to go through Oral, Composition and Paper 2?
In Lower sec, do they take double science or triple science ?
Chinese percentage is equally calculated as other subjects or weight slightly lower ?
Any input is appreciated as my DS weakness subject is Chinese.
Thanks in advance.

Hopeful2000
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Hopeful2000 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Dear Shurley
I am currently in Sec 2 in SST, I could tell u that for Lower Sec u go through all three sciences at different times of the year like physics, chemistry and Biology. In Sec 2 however the first half is taken up by ISS which is mainly using what you have learnt to setup an experiment and write lab reports and proposals and record down the experiment results in ways that we were taught in Sec 1. In Sec 3, you would have the choice of taking two Sciences or Triple Science if you can manage it.