School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by shurley197323 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Hopeful2000 wrote:Dear Shurley
I am currently in Sec 2 in SST, I could tell u that for Lower Sec u go through all three sciences at different times of the year like physics, chemistry and Biology. In Sec 2 however the first half is taken up by ISS which is mainly using what you have learnt to setup an experiment and write lab reports and proposals and record down the experiment results in ways that we were taught in Sec 1. In Sec 3, you would have the choice of taking two Sciences or Triple Science if you can manage it.
Thank you Hopeful2000.Hope you enjoy the school!

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by Jarol Lo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:06 pm

Hopeful2000 wrote:Dear Shurley
I am currently in Sec 2 in SST, I could tell u that for Lower Sec u go through all three sciences at different times of the year like physics, chemistry and Biology. In Sec 2 however the first half is taken up by ISS which is mainly using what you have learnt to setup an experiment and write lab reports and proposals and record down the experiment results in ways that we were taught in Sec 1. In Sec 3, you would have the choice of taking two Sciences or Triple Science if you can manage it.
Hi hopeful,

Thank you for your write up. I can see that SST students Rare having good opportunities to do hands on experiments and projects than convnconventional students. Am I right? How do you all involve and interact with those projects related to poly NTU and any other oorganization?
What made you choose SST during your P6 time? Do you enjoy your studies here now? If time rewind back, will you still choose SST again?

Apologize if all my questions course any inconvenience for you. As parent, I really hope my son is setting the right direction for his future and hope we're making the right decision.

Thank you for your contribute in advance.

Hopeful2000
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Hopeful2000 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi Jarol,
There are a lot of opportunities to do hands on experiments and projects though I can't say more than conventional students since I have not have a chance to really feel how other secondary school students are taught in their schools but I can say that I enjoy the lessons very much in SST and would still choose this school if I am still Primary 6. I chose SST because of my love for science and technology and the applied learning which I really have a good insight into when I was at a hands on session during my primary 6 DSA times where the teachers taught the students the earth crust using ferrero rocher, explaining how it is by using the wafer crust, the chocolate layer and the nut inside. And I continue to see this kind of teaching method until now as I first thought it was for show only.

During a typical lesson, the teacher would ask a fundamental question, and then separate the 25 students into groups or ask students randomly on how he/she should approach the question. After hearing the opinions, the teacher would tell us if it is wrong or right and why. For more hands on subjects like ADMT, we were taught methods used by designers to design certain parti diagrams or architectures. We are also bombarded with projects and would have at least a presentation a week made by ourselves on the activity that we were tasked to do. Overall the lessons are more group based and is very fun to attend. Hope this helps any parents out there still wondering about how the lessons are taught.

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Jarol Lo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Hopeful2000 wrote:Hi Jarol,
There are a lot of opportunities to do hands on experiments and projects though I can't say more than conventional students since I have not have a chance to really feel how other secondary school students are taught in their schools but I can say that I enjoy the lessons very much in SST and would still choose this school if I am still Primary 6. I chose SST because of my love for science and technology and the applied learning which I really have a good insight into when I was at a hands on session during my primary 6 DSA times where the teachers taught the students the earth crust using ferrero rocher, explaining how it is by using the wafer crust, the chocolate layer and the nut inside. And I continue to see this kind of teaching method until now as I first thought it was for show only.

During a typical lesson, the teacher would ask a fundamental question, and then separate the 25 students into groups or ask students randomly on how he/she should approach the question. After hearing the opinions, the teacher would tell us if it is wrong or right and why. For more hands on subjects like ADMT, we were taught methods used by designers to design certain parti diagrams or architectures. We are also bombarded with projects and would have at least a presentation a week made by ourselves on the activity that we were tasked to do. Overall the lessons are more group based and is very fun to attend. Hope this helps any parents out there still wondering about how the lessons are taught.
Hi Hopeful2000,

Really a big thanks to you for your insight experience of SST life. I believe this is the same attraction that my son got from SST that he so insisting that even his well respected tuition teacher can't change his mind. His first enencounter with SST was during Robotics competition two years ago. He told me SST robotics team is very strong. He told me he want to design environmental friendly car engine, want to design robotic soldier..........

Anyway, I'm relieved to hear that you enjoy your learning in SST, hope and believe the same will be for my boy.

Wish you achieve excellent result for your studies and have a bright future. :thankyou:

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by kwcllf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:37 pm

Anyone has received rejection or Waitlist notifications? Are all the CO already out?

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Jarol Lo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:27 pm

kwcllf wrote:Anyone has received rejection or Waitlist notifications? Are all the CO already out?

I believe all notification already send out. My son's classmate already received the rejected notice via email together with those accepted ones.

Moonlih
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Moonlih » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Seeking assistance of existing SST students - did SST participate in this year's National Science Challenge ?

Desperate Mum 99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Desperate Mum 99 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi All, can anyone share the % of sst students who got into JC this year? Read one of the responses about 100% pass for poly and 98% eligible for poly and JC. Keen to know the actual for JC. Thank you.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by kwcllf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Jarol Lo wrote:
kwcllf wrote:Anyone has received rejection or Waitlist notifications? Are all the CO already out?

I believe all notification already send out. My son's classmate already received the rejected notice via email together with those accepted ones.
Thanks. But my DD has not received anything yet. Could they be sending out in batches?

metz2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:24

Post by metz2 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:23 pm

kwcllf wrote:
Jarol Lo wrote:

Thanks. But my DD has not received anything yet. Could they be sending out in batches?
Does your DD have an email account?

My friend found the CO in her son's email account instead of hers. Try the junk mail folder too.

Good luck!