School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

reiner
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by reiner » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:04 pm

let me kpo here a bit yah.

my colleague confirmed the SST last week, 15 Dec ( a week before the 22nd Dec). this is the deadline given by SST. she mentioned only 2 kids were called up to offer the seat.

she got a call on 02 dec to go interview on 8 dec, then she got the call the next day that her son was offered a seat in SST.

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Ender » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:24 pm

If only 2 were offered for post PSLE places, the size of the of 2016 cohort is 168 students.
166 with SST emails assigned + 2 kids from post PSLE.

piggyjo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by piggyjo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 am

hi mummies,

All order the macbook from school vendor?

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by shurley197323 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:40 am

piggyjo wrote:hi mummies,

All order the macbook from school vendor?
Yes.

obiwanmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by obiwanmum » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:24 pm

hi all, my DS is one of those late entries into SST.
Need some advice on the LD... i've been reading past few pages of threads....

There's 3 models we're considering - Mcbook air - $2,210, Mcbook pro - 1,547 and another McBook pro - $2,711.
Only the McBook Air and higher end $2,711 Pro are customised for SST. Debating whether he should go with the lower end Mcbook pro ($1,547), or the higher end McBook pro ($2,711).

Which ones are u all getting? Is the higher end McBook pro costing $1.1k extra, necessary at this stage? Will the lower end McBook Pro serve him for the 4 years he's there? Will it be better to upgrade RAM and storage later, if necessary? My hubby says tech gets cheaper all the time, but we're Windows users. Not sure about Mac. Is Mac more future-proof compared to Windows? First time we're getting a Mac. It's a large investment! :sweat:

Go for it
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Go for it » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:07 am

It's also our first time getting MacBook. We bought the MacBook Pro 13" customized. According to Harvey Norman sales rep, the customized is very high end. Not sure if they will need it over the 4 years. But my DS chose this model cos he said it's good for presentations. I suppose the lower end MacBook Pro has the minimum requirements. Else the school won't even have this option.

Jarol Lo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by Jarol Lo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:24 am

Go for it wrote:It's also our first time getting MacBook. We bought the MacBook Pro 13" customized. According to Harvey Norman sales rep, the customized is very high end. Not sure if they will need it over the 4 years. But my DS chose this model cos he said it's good for presentations. I suppose the lower end MacBook Pro has the minimum requirements. Else the school won't even have this option.
We choose the Mac Air, which we find lighter than Pro. The kid has to carry the LD day in day out, getting him the ligher one and yet served all the purposed needed is more compromised. Of course in terms of capabilities Pro is definitely better than Air, where most obvious advantage is the resolution.

This is just my humble opinion.

obiwanmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by obiwanmum » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Jarol Lo wrote:
Go for it wrote:It's also our first time getting MacBook. We bought the MacBook Pro 13" customized. According to Harvey Norman sales rep, the customized is very high end. Not sure if they will need it over the 4 years. But my DS chose this model cos he said it's good for presentations. I suppose the lower end MacBook Pro has the minimum requirements. Else the school won't even have this option.
We choose the Mac Air, which we find lighter than Pro. The kid has to carry the LD day in day out, getting him the ligher one and yet served all the purposed needed is more compromised. Of course in terms of capabilities Pro is definitely better than Air, where most obvious advantage is the resolution.

This is just my humble opinion.
:thankyou: We'll go with the Pro. Being a boy, hope the extra weight is good preparation for his NS too. :smile:

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Blue Pearl » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am

Can anyone share the culture of this school - enviornment, teachers and studies - very stressful? DO they have alot of projects to do and coming home late. How heavy the load. Thank you.

DARKGUYER
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by DARKGUYER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi everyone I am wondering if you know some websites which can give you sample SST Papers

Tks in Advance :smile: :lol: [quote][/quote]