School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

AnotherKiasuParent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by AnotherKiasuParent » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:56 am

momocha wrote:Has anyone logged into the vendor's website to view the macbooks available? I went in to see and only macbook air are available. The models dun seem to the latest as well.

Anyone knows if they will roll out more models or the macbook pro? Meaning would it be advisable to wait a while more before ordering?
I visited the site https://www.sapuraglobal.com/sst.
Seems to see 4 models; 1 MacBook Air, 2 MacBook Pro 13 Inch and 1 MacBook Pro 15 Inch.

momocha
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by momocha » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:05 pm

AnotherKiasuParent wrote:
momocha wrote:Has anyone logged into the vendor's website to view the macbooks available? I went in to see and only macbook air are available. The models dun seem to the latest as well.

Anyone knows if they will roll out more models or the macbook pro? Meaning would it be advisable to wait a while more before ordering?
I visited the site https://www.sapuraglobal.com/sst.
Seems to see 4 models; 1 MacBook Air, 2 MacBook Pro 13 Inch and 1 MacBook Pro 15 Inch.
Thanks! I saw the models already.

Can I know if the macbooks sold by the vendor has other software or items that are installed specifically for students' use? If I were to buy one myself, are there anything I need to take note of?

Hope to hear some advice. Thanks!

jajnj
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by jajnj » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:16 pm

I heard that the MacBooks are 'upgraded' to the specs that SST indicated.

momocha
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by momocha » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:25 pm

jajnj wrote:I heard that the MacBooks are 'upgraded' to the specs that SST indicated.
i did a check, only the storage space is upgraded. other than that, the specs and all are the same as the ones sold outside. no other additional software installed as well.

thinkie.lee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by thinkie.lee » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:18 am

Hi all. Firstly, merry christmas.

My child is currently enrolled in SST and is entering Sec 4 next year. With regards to the macbooks, I personally feel that the most important thing is to get insurance, whether you get from vendor or from other source.

I have heard stories from my child of kids damaging their macbooks here and there, screen crack, hit onto people, rough handling etc.

Personally, if you are getting from Sapura, they should have the insurance either added in or as top up. Sapura is the operator of the SST help desk, so they do all the repairing etc. If convenience and security is your cup of tea, then I would encourage Sapura packages or their insurance.

If not, consider the apple care plan, for a peace of mind. Hope this helps.

If you have any questions, I will be delighted to share

jajnj
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by jajnj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:50 am

thinkie.lee wrote:Hi all. Firstly, merry christmas.

My child is currently enrolled in SST and is entering Sec 4 next year. With regards to the macbooks, I personally feel that the most important thing is to get insurance, whether you get from vendor or from other source.

I have heard stories from my child of kids damaging their macbooks here and there, screen crack, hit onto people, rough handling etc.

Personally, if you are getting from Sapura, they should have the insurance either added in or as top up. Sapura is the operator of the SST help desk, so they do all the repairing etc. If convenience and security is your cup of tea, then I would encourage Sapura packages or their insurance.

If not, consider the apple care plan, for a peace of mind. Hope this helps.

If you have any questions, I will be delighted to share
Thnks

momocha
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by momocha » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 am

Hi,
I have a question on the packing list. The orientation packing list includes a set of school uniform (polo tee and skorts/pants). Since they will be wearing that uniform to report to school on 4 Jan, do we still need to pack an extra set?

jajnj
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by jajnj » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 pm

We wondered about it too but I got my DD to pack an extra set anyway Perhaps they have to wear it for dismissal.

shurley197323
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by shurley197323 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm

I remember my boy last year got some water play, so might get wet in case.

momocha
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by momocha » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:35 am

jajnj wrote:We wondered about it too but I got my DD to pack an extra set anyway Perhaps they have to wear it for dismissal.
Thanks! I will probably do that too.