School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

flowy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by flowy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi

Would like to check to qualify for DSA, besides the GAT and CRT test, does he need to have any science or technology i.e. Robotics portfolio?

jajnj
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by jajnj » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:26 am

flowy wrote:Hi

Would like to check to qualify for DSA, besides the GAT and CRT test, does he need to have any science or technology i.e. Robotics portfolio?
Hi, I think it's not a must though it may be an added advantage.

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Ender » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Don't know if they will be advantageous, but my son didn't have any of those robotic, math portfolio. All he has was an above average P5 results, took the gat and crt. Went for selection camp.
Just go and apply regardless of those portfolio as long as the children has interest.

flowy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by flowy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 am

:thankyou:
Ender wrote:

Don't know if they will be advantageous, but my son didn't have any of those robotic, math portfolio. All he has was an above average P5 results, took the gat and crt. Went for selection camp.
Just go and apply regardless of those portfolio as long as the children has interest.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Post by lee_yl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi,
Posting on behalf of a friend whose DS, a hands-on person, is keen to join SST.
My friend would like to know if it's true that SST doesn't look at school exam results?
If yes, what are the entrance criteria then?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

momocha
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by momocha » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 pm

lee_yl wrote:Hi,
My friend would like to know if it's true that SST doesn't look at school exam results?
School results play a part. Just that on top of that, they have other selection criteria which is the GAT and CRT results and how the child performs during the selection camp.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by kwcllf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 am

momocha wrote:
lee_yl wrote:Hi,
School results play a part. Just that on top of that, they have other selection criteria which is the GAT and CRT results and how the child performs during the selection camp.
If your child has any other CCA achievements or other talents, just submit them together with your application.

We don't really know what the exact criteria are, but obviously you need to pass the GAT and CRT tests. These 2 tests are not something you can prepare for. Just go for it and try your best.

If your child is shortlisted for the Selection Camp, they will be put in groups of about 5 ( please correct me if I remember wrongly) and each group will be given a practical problem to solve. After that, the teacher-in-charge will have a short interview with each children.

It is important that your child be pro-active during the group collaboration. I think this is one of the criteria they are looking for because the school has lots of projects that need group collaborations.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Post by lee_yl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for all the replies.

My friend would like to know if her DS academic results are not so ideal even though he has a keen interest in Robotics (but did not win any competition as school did not invest in their CCA), would it affect his chances as he has nothing much to showcase?

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Ender » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:56 am

lee_yl wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

My friend would like to know if her DS academic results are not so ideal even though he has a keen interest in Robotics (but did not win any competition as school did not invest in their CCA), would it affect his chances as he has nothing much to showcase?
How not so ideal? My son was above average in his P5 results. His CCA is rock climbing, no medals, so nothing relevant to SST.. He doesn't have robotics experience or any math Olympiad medal.. Basically he has nothing much to showcase. But we just put his CCA and his external drums lesson grade into the dsa form. And applied for the GAT and CRT.
My opinion, as long average in P5 result, still stand a chance. I think the GAT and CRT test has more weightage for being shortlisted.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by kwcllf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:06 am

Ender wrote:
lee_yl wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

How not so ideal? My son was above average in his P5 results. His CCA is rock climbing, no medals, so nothing relevant to SST.. He doesn't have robotics experience or any math Olympiad medal.. Basically he has nothing much to showcase. But we just put his CCA and his external drums lesson grade into the dsa form. And applied for the GAT and CRT.
My opinion, as long average in P5 result, still stand a chance. I think the GAT and CRT test has more weightage for being shortlisted.
Yes, I agree. Once you get through the GAT and CRT tests, the Selection Camp is also important.

Heard that SSST takes in students with PSLE T-Scores from a wide range, even down to the 220s, although in the past it has revealed that the average T-Score for each cohort is above 240.

However, the school does not reveal such "sensitive" information. But in my DD's class, some of them had scored above 260 and quite a number of them above 250.

If you have set your sight on SST, just go for it. Nothing venture nothing gain.

Even if your child don't get into SST, it's not the end of the world. My DS, who is in JC1 this year, didn't manage to get into SST but he did very well in his "O" levels although he was from a neighbourhood school.