School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

ricvon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by ricvon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 pm

The kids are gathered in group of 4 ( my DS is in a group of 4). They were given a task to discuss and subsequently given a mini project to do followed by group interview. To my understanding from my DS, there are 3 Teachers assigned in the classroom that he went to.

santhana
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by santhana » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks for your reply. Best of luck for DS..

S_Mummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by S_Mummy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:10 am

ricvon wrote:The kids are gathered in group of 4 ( my DS is in a group of 4). They were given a task to discuss and subsequently given a mini project to do followed by group interview. To my understanding from my DS, there are 3 Teachers assigned in the classroom that he went to.
:thankyou: for sharing.
All the best for your ds application.

k_s_cheong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by k_s_cheong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm

ricvon wrote:For those who came today, 29 Jul for the selection camp would have realised that all parents are required to sign the No withdraw form during registration. That means if your child have other options (DSA schools), you got to make your decision before registration.
Does it mean that if we are offered a place in SST subsequently after the selection camp, we will not be able to opt out afterwards? Thank you.

k_s_cheong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by k_s_cheong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Timeline of events. Taken from the MOE website:

https://www.moe.gov.sg/images/default-s ... s-2017.jpg
Last edited by k_s_cheong on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricvon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by ricvon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi
I think I caused a bit of a confusion in that email.
The purpose for that form was to inform parent that withdrawal from the DSA offer once we accepted it is not allow.

If your DC is going this coming Sat, u can have a closer look at the form.

k_s_cheong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by k_s_cheong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 pm

:thankyou: for the clarification
ricvon wrote:Hi
The purpose for that form was to inform parent that withdrawal from the DSA offer once we accepted it is not allow.

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Ender » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:43 pm

I think this applies to all DSA schools. Once accepted thru the DSA selection exercise, cannot withdraw and join the normal SEC 1 posting exercise after psle.

tiberiansu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by tiberiansu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 am

As far as I know, this is a standard clause across all DSA schools because in the past, parents feign ignorance and insist of taking their child out of the allocated DSA school because their child did much better than expected.

According to the grapevine, one parent was uncomfortable with the word "allocated to SST successfully" in the form and gather a few more parents to speak to the teacher at the registration counter. After the teacher explained to them, they still insisted that the teacher should amend the words in the clause.

The same wording - "Students successfully allocated to a school through the DSA-Sec Exercise will not be allowed to participate in the S1 Posting Exercise or transfer to another school after the release of the PSLE results." is found in the linkhttps://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/direc ... c/overview

It was very uncomfortable to see parents do that to a staff of the school even though she has explained to them.

tiberiansu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by tiberiansu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 am

I think a bit of a confusion is an understatement. Sharing misinformation without verifying with MOE or SST and causing panic among other parents is more than just creating "a bit of confusion".