School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:186

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by zac's mum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm

phtthp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:36 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 pm
Actually I really don’t understand why Triple Pure Sciences is still so popular among parents. It is no longer a required subject combi for entry into Medicine.
because

there could be other underlying reasons why people choose to do Triple Science, which are ... NOT linked to Medicine
I am genuinely interested because I still don’t understand. Can give some examples of other reasons? That would help me understand whether or not to advise my child to pursue this combi.

MerlionInGermany
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:34

Post by MerlionInGermany » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:34 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm
I am genuinely interested because I still don’t understand. Can give some examples of other reasons? That would help me understand whether or not to advise my child to pursue this combi.
Can I offer a reason? I asked the current upper sec students (my child’s cca seniors and children of my friends), one common reason for them to do triple science is because they cannot find 2 humanities out of history, geo, and lit to study. So it is like an elimination method, that caused them to end up in triple science. Of course, for those in schools that allow 7 subjects, then they would do double science and one combined humanities subject. But for those that dont allow 7 subjects, and the students just cannot decide on the 2nd humanities subject, they will take a 3rd science.

But maybe this shouldnt appear in this thread.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:333

Post by phtthp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:24 am

nms1 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm

I'm not looking to get into an argument here as this is a bit off-topic but maybe it is a case of "perceived prestige". I think it's all bull**** as students should study what they are interested in and good at; if that is art, one combined science and double humanities (like my daughter) then that is just as good as someone studying triple science in my mind.
Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way. And the high performers are usually pushed into triple science. My daughter has a friend who is pretty good at science but doesn't like it; her parents still made her select it for O level as she qualified and they felt she should do it.
Do u know the reason(s) behind why
nowadays, @the end of Sec 2 streaming,
there is a growing trend to choose or slant towards "Double Humanities, Double Sciences" subject combination ?

one reason,
students (and parents) actually feel safer, choosing "Double" Humanities combination

Why, safer ?

because

if students do only one humanities, ie., the compulsory Combined "Elective" humanities, it is risky

in the event,
for whatever reason(s) on actual O-level exam day, if student happen to do poorly in his (her) Combined Humanities, that's it !
His (her) overall L1R5 turn out, will be pulled down overall, impacted badly

Combined Humanities inside, contain 2 element (component)
- Social studies part

Social studies, require critical thinking (analytical) skill

- "Elective" Humanities portion (part)

how bad, is bad ?
eg.
if student scored C6 in Combined Humanities, and if this is the only humanities that the student taken, means 6 points included inside L1R5 right away

In contrast,
had students taken "Double" Humanities,
even if student happen to fare badly in Combined Humanities, but had done well in the 2nd Humanities, ie. in the Core or Full humanities, at least, got hope !

This 2nd core (full) humanities can then rescue the poorly done Combined Humanities.
After all, inside the computation of L1R5, students need factor in only one Humanities score. These students doing "Double" humanities, can pick their choice

===============================

Example

now, @end of Sec2 streaming,
SST imposed maximum 8 subject combination in Upper Sec.
What are these 8 ?

1) English (language)

2) Standard (Chinese / Malay / Tamil) (ie.Mother Tongue language)

3) Elementary Maths (first Maths subject)

4) Additional Maths (second Maths subject)

5) compulsory Pure Chemistry (this is the first compulsory Science subject)

6) students to choose 2nd Science subject (ie. either Pure Physics or Pure Bio),

7) choose one compulsory Applied Science subject (can select from Bio-technology / Design Studies / Computing / Electronics available)

8) the compulsory "Combined" Humanities, imposed by MOE regulation for All O-level students,
comprising (Social Studies + "Elective" humanities)

so, can SST students take "Double" humanites ?
No
because already reached maximum 8 subjects, quota set

what does all these imply ?
It imply that
All SST students must ensure that they do well in their O-level "Combined" humanities. students cannot afford to fumble ( fare poorly ), because
this is the one-and-solely-one humanities subject that they have,
Last edited by phtthp on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ricvon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by ricvon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:46 am

Thanks for your insightful sharing of what you know about the education system. I guessed you have done all your research to be able to share with such in-depth details.
Well I must say, most of us who are sharing here are parents who have made the choice for our kids to choose SST as the preferred choice is largely because our kids can fit into the school's concept of applied learning. Not forgetting there is a stringent DSA selection process and only a handful out of the many who applied are selected.

There is no perfect school per se but only what is deemed suitable for those who see it as a desired choice. And since there is no perfect school so I don't think imposed is the correct word to use but rather a matter of choice.

Some parents may have a different opinion compared to others but personally I always feel that we all have our kids interest at heart. And eventually, I will leave it to my child to make the decision for his next level of education.

For those whose kids are in P5 or even in P4, you may wish to visit SST website and view through the Webinar to understand more.

https://www.sst.edu.sg/2020-sst-admissi ... nars-2020/

Thanks again phtthp for your thoughts and also for holding the ford in this forum.
Much appreciated.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks for listing it out. So in SST it is compulsory to take 3 pure (non-combined) sciences + only 1 (combined) humanities. It’s something I will take into consideration. Having only 1 humanities score to fall back on is dangerous.

nms1
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by nms1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

zac's mum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 am
Thanks for listing it out. So in SST it is compulsory to take 3 pure (non-combined) sciences + only 1 (combined) humanities. It’s something I will take into consideration. Having only 1 humanities score to fall back on is dangerous.
That is an important consideration but what is more important is whether your child will benefit from the style of applied learning at SST. It is not for everyone and some students will be better off in a more traditional academic setting. Make sure that you do a lot of research and attend the Open House next year. You and your child should be bought into the philosophy of the school not just using it to fill up the DSA list or to secure a place somewhere before PSLE.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:04 am

nms1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am
zac's mum wrote:
That is an important consideration but what is more important is whether your child will benefit from the style of applied learning at SST. It is not for everyone and some students will be better off in a more traditional academic setting. Make sure that you do a lot of research and attend the Open House next year. You and your child should be bought into the philosophy of the school not just using it to fill up the DSA list or to secure a place somewhere before PSLE.
Thank u, nms1. I will definitely assess together with my child. Ultimately the school we choose should be the best fit for his learning style, that’s what’s needed for him to blossom to his full potential. I really do like the applied philosophy since he’s not a theoretical, academic, exam answer regurgitator sort.

I am just a bit scared he should not follow in my path (3 pure sciences + geography). I am a confirmed hard sciences person & hated humanities. Of course I leaned towards picking my best subjects (Sciences) and tried to minimize contact with (and studying for) any humanities. Looking back, that was not a wise thing to do. If taking only 1 humanities, should (counter-intuitively) spend MORE time on that single humanities.

Same like how the AL system kids need to spend more time pulling up their weakest subject in time for PSLE.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Once sign SST DSA contract, student will be tied down, for the next 4 years.

in SST, Upper Sec 3 subject combination

1) Triple Pure Sciences, not offered

2) Double Humanities, not offered

=====================================================

not taking double humanities can be risky, if students not keen in Polytechnic, intend (plan) to join back Junior College (A-level) path,

because

inside Combined Humanities,
suppose an Upper Sec 4 student chosen "Elective" History, and let's say this student did well in his "Elective" History part (component / portion), but fumbled badly in the other part, ie. the "Social studies" part,
what happen ?

his weak "Social studies" (SS) performance part, can pull down his overall Combined Humanities O-level exam paper, into possible (C5 or C6) grade

because

each of the 2 components (SS + Elective), constituted 50% each, half-half

watch this video ( from another Secondary school)

the Officer-in-charge of Sec 2 year-end-streaming (from Nan Chiau High) also commented that, taking one Combined Humanities subject alone, can be "risky"

https://nchs.edu.sg/2018/05/25/secondar ... resources/

If students take single Humanities, need to ensure that they do equally well, in both components (Social studies + Elective), because that's the only Humanities subject that they have, for their "R1", inside L1R5

That's the reason why,
in rest of the other O-level schools, Triple Pure Sciences is not even popular.

In contrast, Upper Sec 3 (Double Humanities, Double Sciences) subject combination trend is highly popular, because of the perceived "risk" (danger) involved

olivegal77
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by olivegal77 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:44 am

Any idea when results of shortlisted will be out? End July?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:58 am

olivegal77 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:44 am
Any idea when results of shortlisted will be out? End July?
1)

It is stated clearly on SST website, that

by 29 June (Monday), that there is e-quizz conducted,

meaning that
if students do not hear from SST by 29 June 2020, the quizz already over by now, means not short-listed.

If fall under this category, focus on PSLE
in case happen got students who had chosen to give up their DSA (SST) offer, for some reasons
eg.
maybe these students received more than one DSA offer,
E.g.
also received COs concurrently, from (NUS High, SOTA, IP A-level schools, ACSI or SJI IB schools, other O-level Mainstream schools, etc),

hence released these seats back to SST, thereby creating vacancies to others, who are interested to make (initiate) an appeal to SST, using their PSLE Tscore results released later on, in November 2020.

Note these seats (if any), not guaranteed.
In the event that year (batch), happen nobody give up any DSA offer, hence no vacancy arise, no matter how P6 students try to appeal, using their PSLE Tscore results,
because
how to create vacancies, if there isn't any to begin with?

And

2)
to pre-empt next question, in case someone else were to ask,
"AFTER I had attended e-quizz on Monday (29 June 2020) , based on my performance on that day, when will i know outcome, whether i got selected in successfully or out (un-successful) ? "

this answer, is also indicated (found) clearly on SST website, that the

Release of DSA-SEC S1 Application Outcome by SST, is

on 14 September 2020 (Monday)

https://www.sst.edu.sg/2020-sst-admissi ... admission/