School of Science and Technology

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

Would your child be applying for SST?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes
29%
No, distance is too far
18%
No, no track record yet
53%

Total votes: 17

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Re: School of Science and Technology

Post by kwcllf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:36 pm

shurley197323 wrote:The Macbook pricing add up all these warranty and insurance is :yikes:
My elder DD at nushigh only using a Dell laptop less than $800.
Is the Macbook Pro 13" (non-customized for SST) sufficient? The difference in price is quite big!

Why is there customized and non-customized version?

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:10

Post by Ender » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:38 pm

kwcllf wrote:
shurley197323 wrote:The Macbook pricing add up all these warranty and insurance is :yikes:
Is the Macbook Pro 13" (non-customized for SST) sufficient? The difference in price is quite big!

The normal version with SSD drive at 128 gb, will not be sufficient for school work, especially if the student has to do multimedia projects.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by kwcllf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Ender wrote:
kwcllf wrote:

The normal version with SSD drive at 128 gb, will not be sufficient for school work, especially if the student has to do multimedia projects.
Hi Ender,

In other words, new students should not even consider the non-customized version, right? If that is the case, they should not even list it out on the website because it only confuses parents.

Also, the 13" Macbook Pro only have one port for charging and/Or connecting to other devices whilst the Macbook Air has 2 ports.

Will this be a problem for students for their regular use and projects in school? Having only one port can be very inconvenient and if we want to buy an adapter, do you know how much will it cost?

Thanks for your advice.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by kwcllf » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:36 pm

just for your info. Macbook Air or Pro?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/which-macbo ... 1433875992

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Ender » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:39 am

kwcllf wrote:
Hi Ender,

In other words, new students should not even consider the non-customized version, right? If that is the case, they should not even list it out on the website because it only confuses parents.
The non-customize version is not the recommended specs, but still useable for school if budget is tight. As the learning device is not cheap. Not everyone wants to spent $3000. If 128GB is not enough storage, the student can buy an external 1TB HDD for around $99 or less in Sim Lim.

Also, the 13" Macbook Pro only have one port for charging and/Or connecting to other devices whilst the Macbook Air has 2 ports.

Will this be a problem for students for their regular use and projects in school? Having only one port can be very inconvenient and if we want to buy an adapter, do you know how much will it cost?

Thanks for your advice.
I just saw on Apple website, that the charging port is separated from the I/O port like USB3 or Thunderbolt. Should be no concern here as both Air and Pro should have enough ports.
Air -> 2X USB3, 1X Thunderbolt, 1X charging port
Pro-> 2X USB3, 2X Thunderbolts, 1X charging port.

Thunderbolts is use to connect to monitors, and other devices supporting it.
USB3 is the one connecting to external HDD,

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by kwcllf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:12 am

I have called SST to enquire about the uniforms and text books.

For uniform, don't buy the PE shirt yet as they have different colours for different groups. Students will be allocated to such groups later.

As for the text books, some are optional. That means you don't need to buy unless you want your child to have more study materials for reference. Most of the notes will be given by the school.

returningsingaporean
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by returningsingaporean » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing! Appreciate it! Happen to know a current student, he's been using the 13" mac book pro. So we've decided to order that too since it served him well.

Ender
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Ender » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 am

We got the Air instead. I believe the processor of the Air enough for school work. We also add in the Applecare and insurance, as we do not intend to buy him another macbook should he lost or damage it in his 4 years there. You know, boys, they tends to be more careless.

Go for it
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Go for it » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:21 am

Student email is not ready. Check 1st slide of the instructions next week. Will be updated when ready.

Checked with a student when I went to buy uniform, she say most of them use MacBook Pro 13".

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by kwcllf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:25 pm

Go for it wrote:Student email is not ready. Check 1st slide of the instructions next week. Will be updated when ready.

Checked with a student when I went to buy uniform, she say most of them use MacBook Pro 13".
This is what I have read. MacBook Air resolution is not as good as MacBook Pro. MacBook Pro uses Retina display while the Air does not.

If students uses the laptop often, a high resolution screen will not be so tiring to the eyes. Viewing angle for the Pro is also much better.

Just sharing.