River Valley High School [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

River Valley High School [*IP]

Postby Vanilla Cake » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:18 pm

RVHS Open House is on 30 May 2009 (0830 - 1300 hours) with 2 information talks at 9 and 11 am.

Hope to have feedback about this school.

TIA.
:D

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby wiimum » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:42 pm

It is an SAP IP school. There are generally more girls than boys in this school. New campus should be ready by this year or next year in Jurong.
DSA into the school is quite tough, have to go through many rounds of tests, interviews etc.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby daisyt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:24 pm

wiimum wrote:There are generally more girls than boys in this school.


Agree with wiimum and I also don't understand why :?

wiimum, your kid in RVHS ?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby MdmKS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:30 pm

wiimum wrote:It is an SAP IP school. There are generally more girls than boys in this school. New campus should be ready by this year or next year in Jurong.
DSA into the school is quite tough, have to go through many rounds of tests, interviews etc.


Wonder whether the talk will be in the new campus? I know the school also go round to give talk to some popular primary schools last year. Popular for those stay in the west, especially those did not make it to NYGH, HCI, NUSH or ACSI.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby daisyt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:35 pm

MdmKS wrote:Wonder whether the talk will be in the new campus? I know the school also go round to give talk to some popular primary schools last year. Popular for those stay in the west, especially those did not make it to NYGH, HCI, NUSH or ACSI.


MdmKS, don't think so in the new campus because it would only ready in October.

All the students in top 2 classes and boys in the top 3rd class could make it to NYGH, HCI but still choosed RVHS. Many reasons behind it, school fees, stress level, location .....

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby WeiHan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 pm

MdmKS wrote:
wiimum wrote:It is an SAP IP school. There are generally more girls than boys in this school. New campus should be ready by this year or next year in Jurong.
DSA into the school is quite tough, have to go through many rounds of tests, interviews etc.


Wonder whether the talk will be in the new campus? I know the school also go round to give talk to some popular primary schools last year. Popular for those stay in the west, especially those did not make it to NYGH, HCI, NUSH or ACSI.


Really? NYGH, HCI and NUSH I can understand but ACSI? RVHS has a higher cutoff point than ACSI every year. How can one not make it to ACS and got to RV?

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 22


Postby foreverj » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:51 pm

hi, i was an RVHS student. in my time, my pri sch classmates who could not get into RVHS (cos its so popular) had to choose NYGS cos it was easier to get in. Not sure abt now though. :? my time was almost 20 years ago. :shock: (shock after i did the math myself)

its definitely a popular school to choose in the west esp now its gg to be in jurong. jurong not many good sec schools mah.

RVHS well-known for producing accountants, so if that's not yr preferred profession for your kids, maybe dun choose it? :P but we r also well known for producing students with excellent chinese cos of higher chinese background. i didn't think my chinese was that great but when i started work, my chinese was considered the more "can make it" in the firm. same goes for many others who graduated from the school.

just sharing my experience many yrs ago, not sure if it would help the current generation of students.

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:46 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby WeiHan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:04 pm

I don't agree that there are not many good schools in the west. In fact, many top schools are in the west such as HCI, NYGH, NUSH etc...

RV is the West Zone Centre of Learning for Science and Technology. As such, the school will have non-standard scientific labs that house advance equipments for bio-medical science, mechatronics and other areas of advance scientific research. Only two other schools in the west, that is, HCI and NUSH may boast scientific research lab as advance as this.

The school seems to put extra emphasis in the area of science. Students have performed very well in national competitions winning, for example top prize in YDSP (young defence scientist programme), National Science Challenge and others. The school also actively participates in other research prgramme such as Nanyang Research Programme, Science Research Prgramme etc..where students are mentored by universities research staffs. The school is a good alternative if you feel that schools such as RI and NUSH maybe too competitive and your child may not get the opportunity to represent the school with such enriching exposure. In the new A level syllables , CCA records are equally important as examination grades and will affect scholarship application.

Currently, they have their first batch of Year 5 students and it will another two more years before they produce their first batch of A level results.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm
Total Likes: 22


Postby daisyt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:26 am

The school Infocomm team has good achievements in worldwide competitions and the school also emphasised a lot on Performing Arts CCA. Its not easy to get into certain CCAs like eg. CLDDS, Choir, Infocomm. Tests and auditions are conducted and those who passed would be considered for interview.

It has good Chinese culture learning environment and also offer Biculture scheme. Syllabus wise, I think its quite similar to other IP schools.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2430
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby MdmKS » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 pm

daisyt wrote:
wiimum wrote:There are generally more girls than boys in this school.


Agree with wiimum and I also don't understand why :?

wiimum, your kid in RVHS ?


I guess because easily for girls in the west to miss NYGH due to the high cut-off and priority given to their own primary girls. NUSH focus on Maths and Sc so have fewer girls.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups