Raffles Girls' School (Secondary) [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
fix_you
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Raffles Girls' School (Secondary) [*IP]

Post by fix_you » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 pm

MummySTay wrote:
fix_you wrote:just wondering, how do your DDs find the 1-1 thing where they use their Macbooks in class! :)
Our DDs have yet to start on 1:1. :smile:
hmm then what have they been doing in class? our teachers have been attempting to try IT related stuff for every lesson and its quite siannish I rather have normal classes :(

fix_you
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by fix_you » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Tinkerbelle wrote:Hi,

Just looked at the sch calendar and noticed that the Yr 1 gals are scheduled for 'Maths Exploration Day' (MED) on Monday & Tuesday of the March holidays; and Community First Aid (CFA) & CPR courses from Tuesdays to Fridays of the March holidays.

Any seniors or experienced mummies know if it's compulsory for the gals to attend 2 days of MED plus 4 days of CFA & CPR?
Or they just need to attend 1 day of MED & 1 day of CFA & CPR, depending on class allocation?

Thanks. :lol:
For CFA & CPR, you only need to attend one day. As for Math Exploration Day, it is an extension of Math Active Day (MAD) held during Learning Journey week. The top 20 (I'm not too sure about the number) groups from all the games exhibited during MAD (every student is required to form groups to do one game related to Math) will be selected for MED where they will be exhibited alongside other schools for primary school children to play :)

At least, this is if they haven't changed from my time.

friendship
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by friendship » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 pm

At Y4, is RGS term ends in June? and the students will attach to companies?

Is there a real case that a student who scores GPA 2.8 was asked to transfer to other school?

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Tinkerbelle » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 am

fix_you wrote:
Tinkerbelle wrote:Hi,

Just looked at the sch calendar and noticed that the Yr 1 gals are scheduled for 'Maths Exploration Day' (MED) on Monday & Tuesday of the March holidays; and Community First Aid (CFA) & CPR courses from Tuesdays to Fridays of the March holidays.

Any seniors or experienced mummies know if it's compulsory for the gals to attend 2 days of MED plus 4 days of CFA & CPR?
Or they just need to attend 1 day of MED & 1 day of CFA & CPR, depending on class allocation?

Thanks. :lol:
For CFA & CPR, you only need to attend one day. As for Math Exploration Day, it is an extension of Math Active Day (MAD) held during Learning Journey week. The top 20 (I'm not too sure about the number) groups from all the games exhibited during MAD (every student is required to form groups to do one game related to Math) will be selected for MED where they will be exhibited alongside other schools for primary school children to play :)

At least, this is if they haven't changed from my time.
:thankyou: fix_you .

MAD & MED sounds interesting & fun. :lol:

Tinkerbelle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Tinkerbelle » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 am

fix_you wrote:
MummySTay wrote:
fix_you wrote:just wondering, how do your DDs find the 1-1 thing where they use their Macbooks in class! :)
Our DDs have yet to start on 1:1. :smile:
hmm then what have they been doing in class? our teachers have been attempting to try IT related stuff for every lesson and its quite siannish I rather have normal classes :(
Oh dear..... IT related stuff is 'sian'?
Hopefully, the lessons will get more interesting soon. :rahrah:

For DD's class, they've just been doing RGS worksheets, some group work & projects for various subjects this term.

Yr 1 will only attend the 1:1 briefing on the 29 Feb so I guess once all the Macbooks are configured to sch's requirements, they'll probably start using the Macbook next term.
It will be interesting to see how learning is done through 1:1. :evil:

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Funx3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Tinkerbelle wrote: Oh dear..... IT related stuff is 'sian'?

For DD's class, they've just been doing RGS worksheets, some group work & projects for various subjects this term.

Yr 1 will only attend the 1:1 briefing on the 29 Feb so I guess once all the Macbooks are configured to sch's requirements, they'll probably start using the Macbook next term.
i just teased my Gal today,
"Once U ALL have your Macbook, T can Teach in Front,
And U ALL Can Open tab to Browse, Play, ...."

"No, Cannot-la, T will Walk Around ....
But, Wait .... Some T Don't!
Hmmmmmmmmm ...."
:wink: :wink:

En-joy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by En-joy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Haha :wink:

fix_you
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by fix_you » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 pm

friendship wrote:At Y4, is RGS term ends in June? and the students will attach to companies?

Is there a real case that a student who scores GPA 2.8 was asked to transfer to other school?
No that applies only to RI. We have school until November just like all levels and have to take exams in September.

That case is false. In general, the school will counsel those students w GPA below 2.8/ ask them join structured studies in Year 3/4. It really depends on the situation. As a last resort, retention is used.

fix_you
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by fix_you » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Funx3 wrote:
Tinkerbelle wrote: Oh dear..... IT related stuff is 'sian'?

i just teased my Gal today,
"Once U ALL have your Macbook, T can Teach in Front,
And U ALL Can Open tab to Browse, Play, ...."

"No, Cannot-la, T will Walk Around ....
But, Wait .... Some T Don't!
Hmmmmmmmmm ...."
:wink: :wink:
haha I think its just like, for the past 3 years in RGS we've already gotten used to paper handouts and doing not doing work online? All the new platforms- acelearning, moodle, new moodle, inet, edmodo, google groups/google docs, I guess it takes some time getting used to? I believe that to the Sec 1s, they will find it fun and all but for us, as we've already experienced what its like without using IT for lessons and its quite weird to have to change midway so we don't entirely enjoy it...

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by OrangeJuice » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 am

hello, i just wanted to post a Thank You note to MummyStay and Tinkerbelle for their advice earlier. I emailed Ms Ong re my CCA queries and to my pleasant surprise, she assisted DD to get into one of her CCA choices. Thank you so much , if not for both of your suggestions, I may not have sent Ms Ong an email and DD may still be in limbo with CCA arrangement.

BTW, wishing everyone here a happy valentine's day :)