Raffles Girls' School (Secondary) [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.
sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Re: Raffles Girls' School (Secondary) [*IP]

Post by sob7 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 am

Hi does anyone know if RGS/MOE keeps track of the GEP gals when they are mixed with MS?
Does the teachers know or is it not known to the teachers?
Just out of curiosity sake, cuz it puzzling that MOE have GEP for Pri sch and then cut them loose in sec sch.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:109

Post by jtoh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:22 am

sob7 wrote:Hi does anyone know if RGS/MOE keeps track of the GEP gals when they are mixed with MS?
Just out of curiosity sake, cuz it puzzling that MOE have GEP for Pri sch and then cut them loose in sec sch.
Yes they do.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 am

sob7 wrote:Hi does anyone know if RGS/MOE keeps track of the GEP gals when they are mixed with MS?
I don't think the "cut them loose" as I'm sure they are still tracked. However, as far as I understood when my daughter was there, the idea is that all students in RGS are treated as if they were in the secondary "gifted" programme, whether they were in GEP in Pr school or not. In any case, a label affixed in Pr school really means very little in sec school and beyond; every student is judged on current performance.

sob7
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by sob7 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am

slmkhoo wrote:
I don't think the "cut them loose" as I'm sure they are still tracked. However, as far as I understood when my daughter was there, the idea is that all students in RGS are treated as if they were in the secondary "gifted" programme, whether they were in GEP in Pr school or not. In any case, a label affixed in Pr school really means very little in sec school and beyond; every student is judged on current performance.
This year cohort I see that GEP students are quote evenly distributed between the classes, not sure about the prev years.
There is a 3-4 per class from what I can see.
Wonder if its the same in RI/HCI/NYGH?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:29

Post by peasants » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Coming to one month in RGS for dd2. Regret to say that as working parents, we do not participate much on the transition to sec 1. So far dd2 has booked her cca trial online by herself and attended all of them. She likes the trials so much cos seniors are always there to cheer them on. Incredible!
We do see the IT dept is competent by looking at their students laptop prep, support workflow and communicating platforms. Definately notice more homework and time demanding for dd2, but we can still see her idling at times. The only thing we decide for her is the elective program, other than that their syllabus is a headache to see.
I don't know how the school does it. Dd2 say P is caring, teachers are inspiring, seniors are motivating, her class is like having fun! Maybe it's just one month, but it is definately a good start for years to come.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:325

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:36 pm

I think in Secondary school, kids are aggressively pushed to autopilot and look after themselves by teachers. That's a good thing, IMHO.

Cbk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Cbk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:29 am

Rgs seems to be making great effort in integrating the girls. No more gep classes or classes by dsa domain. No more pure higher chinese classes (all chinese, no racial integration). Girls from the same primary schools seem evenly distributed across the 12 classes (no more classes dominated by girls from same primary schools).

The school believes that all rgs girls are high abilities girls and all should be treated the same. I think this is a great move.

Heard that RI/ HCI and NYGH still keep their gep classes. In fact, NYGH’s gep classes has gotten even more elitist - it used to take in psle high scorers too, but no longer so this year. The 2 classes are strictly for gep girls only and the class size is small vs other classes.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:329

Post by phtthp » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Cbk wrote:RGS seems to be making great effort in integrating the girls. No more GEP classes or classes by DSA domain.

The school believes that all RGS girls are high abilities girls and all should be treated the same.
I think this is a great move
Hi Cbk,

clarify, does it mean wef this year (2019) onwards, in every Sec 1 class, there are both (GEP and Mainstream) students found together in the same class, since school distributed out all the GEP students into "each & every" single Sec 1 class, to ensure more frequent mixing integration, interaction discussion ? This is an excellent move !

Cbk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Cbk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:51 pm

yes, that is my understanding. 2 years ago classes seem to be by dsa domain, mix with gep girls and psle high scorers. But this is no longer the case this year.

The P often talked about how sensitive girls are and do not want any girls to feel ‘I am not in the top classes, therefore I am not as smart.’ (she said used to hear some girls saying that) Glad she is walking the talk and leading the ‘top’ schools in doing away with the streaming.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:329

Post by phtthp » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Cbk wrote: The P often talked about how sensitive girls are and do not want any girls to feel ‘I am not in the top classes, therefore I am not as smart.’ (she said used to hear some girls saying that) Glad she is walking the talk and leading the ‘top’ schools in doing away with the streaming.
Yes, applaud this great move made by Principal Poh Mun See. She should have made this move, long time ago