Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) [*IP]

Having survived PSLE. we still need to network with other parents with kids in the same Secondary school. While giving our teenagers their own space, we can update each other about the school.

ACS Independent

Postby sally » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 am

My boy brought back a invitation letter from his school yesterday rdg a presentation talk about the ACS Independent.

Any feedback regarding this school?

Txs

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Vanilla Cake » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm

See link :-> ACSI DSA talk.

Vanilla Cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sally » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Vanilla Cake wrote:See link :-> ACSI DSA talk.

Hi

I know abt it. Just hope to get feedback from any existing student parent.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby csc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 pm

ACS(I) students in the IP programme do not sit for "A" levels. They will take the IB Diploma exam which most students in International Schools are doing.

That's the big difference.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasuson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:10 pm

csc wrote:ACS(I) students in the IP programme do not sit for "A" levels. They will take the IB Diploma exam which most students in International Schools are doing.

Please note that only students above the cut off point go for the IB Diploma programe. The rest will sit for 'O' Level. This year I think they only allow those above 260 go for the IP six years programe. The rest are for 4 years 'O' Level programe.

kiasuson
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ApronMama » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 am

kiasuson wrote:
csc wrote:ACS(I) students in the IP programme do not sit for "A" levels. They will take the IB Diploma exam which most students in International Schools are doing.

Please note that only students above the cut off point go for the IB Diploma programe. The rest will sit for 'O' Level. This year I think they only allow those above 260 go for the IP six years programe. The rest are for 4 years 'O' Level programe.

how many % percent of their 'O' level intake are not from ACS primary school?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mandarin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:35 pm

My son is in ACS(I) year 1 IP this year. So far, he is very motivated and happy in school.

I can perhaps share more about his course work. Most of the subjects taken are very similar to Express stream, albeit with an accelerated pace. For English, it is taught in 2 parts, Literature and the usual English grammar (including comprehension), it is called Language Arts. He also takes Life Science (which is essentially Biology) and Physical Science (which is a combination of Physics and Chemistry) as 2 different subjects. Other than that, the other core subjects are pretty standard.

In addition to the above examinable subjects, he is also taking the following :
(1) ePOD - An elementary Philosophy subject
(2) ISO - a research project, this year's theme is YOG
(3) Computer Studies
(3) Enrichment Program - half a year on Odyssey of the Mind and the other half year on another option to be selected from a wide ranging topics such as Introduction to German, Introduction to Archaeology to Carrom, Snorkelling etc.

Students may also take MEP (Music Elective), RSP (Regional Studies) and 3rd Language if they have the interest and are selected.

You may want to note that every student must opt for 2 CCAs, one from Uniform Group, and another from Sports/Clubs/Performing Arts. My son comes home around 6.30pm up to 4 days a week.

It is quite a demanding school life but I believe it is also at the same time, quite enriching and enjoyable.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Mandarin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sally » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:56 am

Mandarin wrote:My son is in ACS(I) year 1 IP this year. So far, he is very motivated and happy in school.

I can perhaps share more about his course work. Most of the subjects taken are very similar to Express stream, albeit with an accelerated pace. For English, it is taught in 2 parts, Literature and the usual English grammar (including comprehension), it is called Language Arts. He also takes Life Science (which is essentially Biology) and Physical Science (which is a combination of Physics and Chemistry) as 2 different subjects. Other than that, the other core subjects are pretty standard.

In addition to the above examinable subjects, he is also taking the following :
(1) ePOD - An elementary Philosophy subject
(2) ISO - a research project, this year's theme is YOG
(3) Computer Studies
(3) Enrichment Program - half a year on Odyssey of the Mind and the other half year on another option to be selected from a wide ranging topics such as Introduction to German, Introduction to Archaeology to Carrom, Snorkelling etc.

Students may also take MEP (Music Elective), RSP (Regional Studies) and 3rd Language if they have the interest and are selected.

You may want to note that every student must opt for 2 CCAs, one from Uniform Group, and another from Sports/Clubs/Performing Arts. My son comes home around 6.30pm up to 4 days a week.

It is quite a demanding school life but I believe it is also at the same time, quite enriching and enjoyable.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Hi Mandarin

Tx for the info. My boss girl is in the 5th years and he feedback is that the IB programme is good and the student is more involve in project.

My boy is not a GEP student he only make it to the 2nd round during the GEP test but he find that the student in the school teacher too slow. He hope that to contribute more ideal to the subject not just listening to the teacher.

I don't whether this is good or bad but I know that ACS(I) will take in more students from the ACS Pri and ACS Jr. So the chance is low.

P6 is really a stressful year for student & parent.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

DSA Tests

Postby kelly1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:58 am

Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask in the DSA tests for ASCI and RI? Is it IQ/Aptitude/Reasoning/Logic kind of tests, or is it more English/Mathematics curriculum based?

kelly1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mandarin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 am

Sally,

I can empathize completely with you on the stress of a P6 parent having just gone through it myself last year. Not to mention I will have to go through it again in a few years time with my daughter.

Indeed, the ACS primary feeder schools have some priority and advantage in terms of school admission into ACS(I) and ACS Barker. Notwithstanding, these students will still have to meet the minimum PSLE cutoff points set by the school, but at the slightly lower score than the rest. Unless of course if the student has secured a place through DSA, in which case, he will only have to meet the minimum requirement of Express Stream.

In my son's class, just slightly under half are from the feeder schools, I guess the proportion will vary from class to class. I understand that the school offered almost half of the DSA places for IP to feeder school pupils. I also notice that the good proportion comes from non-GEP. However, after the few months into the year, I see no distinction in the school handling and pupil interaction whichever schools they come from, so as long as your son can get in, there is no worry of assimilation.

Bearing in mind that the school has a long and old tradition, the student body has a very strong affiliation and school spirit. You have to be align with the school values before you consider this school for your son.

In my opinion, the secondary school choice is even more important than that of the primary school, though I notice many parents spent months and even years to ponder over primary school selection. During these teenage years, the child will be developing into a person with his own thinking and values, the environment that he is growing in and thus shaping his whole being will play a very crucial role. This important phase definitely deserves our time and effort in making sure that the best informed decision is made based on the child's personality and all the information available.

All the best in your quest for a right school choice for your son.

Mandarin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Parents' Networking Groups